Ye Olde 4 pot xt brakes - can I shorten the lines?

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I bought a set of old xt 4 pots on a whim because they were cheap and I was bored. They work fine, once I sorted out the stupid IS mounts at least.

But I want to shorten the hoses and possibly run modern levers on the set. But it they use a weird banjo on both ends system so I'm a little hesitant to cut these old braided lines. I know I could get new brake lines and run it that way, but I was kinda hoping someone knows a little about these brakes before I go breaking anything.

Can one simply cut the lines and add a barb/olive instead?

Do the old levers need to use the banjo, or can they run a barb/olive? (In case I want to use them for something else)

For the love of God, why would they use IS on a caliper? The adapters are $30 each!!

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Just give up and sell them to me.

Easiest way is to ditch the levers and go to modern levers and lines. You can't re crimp the banjos but you can use Goodridge or Hope banjo hardware.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Just give up and sell them to me.

Easiest way is to ditch the levers and go to modern levers and lines. You can't re crimp the banjos but you can use Goodridge or Hope banjo hardware.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
If I ditch the levers and lines, I'll only be using 1 caliper. Might aswell have just bought another 4pot from bikebug

There's other banjos around too on eBay, but I was more hoping I could switch to the barb and olive at the lever end. Just don't wanna cut a line to find out I can't do that.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Does the straight fitting screw into the levers? I had these with banjos (haha) at the caliper and straight fittings at the lever. Goodridge lines or equivalent and the only option otherwise unless you chance upon the right length lines. I guess therecould be a crimping tool around but I havent seen one that size.