Year 12 Project

twisty

Likes Bikes
Hey guys

I have this project that im doinig for ITD that requires me to design and create a project for the "community". Im thinking about making a work shop bike stand but i dont know how i can change the orginal disign to make it better.

What do you guys think? If you guys have any other idea's please help me out.

Thanks alot guys

phil.

Ivan

Eats Squid
Explain in as many words as you like how a bike workstand will help/aid/be of use to the community?

I think its a poor choice given the brief of the assignment.

Icky

Squid
magnetise areas for storage of tools and stray bits...
Make it tall enough and adjustable enough that the worker doesn't have to lean over the whole time - saves time and money on worker's comp from back injury.

Switch

huskier headed gent
Try to incorporate a way that the stand attaches to the bike whilst on the ground then lifts the bike into a working position with minimal manual effort. This way you can incorporate an element of OHS into your design that is not currently available. A foot operated, hinged method that locks into position would be the easiest solution (similar to a motorbike stand). Yes an XC bike is light but as DH bikes are getting up to 20kg you could easily use this as an element that sets your design apart from the rest of the market.
Just my two cents, hope it gets you thinking.

unitec

Likes Dirt
Best MTB related community project I have seen in a long time would be the castle cove dirt jumps.
Absolutely awesome.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Gas lift and release height adjustment like on an office chair.
heaps better than undoing a bolt, raising the height and then tightening the bolt again.
Or do they already have these? maybe mine is just real old...

And magnetised trays

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Some dude made one last year...search for it i remember seeing pics and doing a poll.

I reckon magnets at the base, i hate it when i drop a small bolt and never find it again :p

Rampage Ripper

Likes Dirt
make the frame holder a cam lock, bit hard to machine but will save alot of hassle

i have made many a bike tools before, vices, metal bending machines, and bike work stand is next on the list. let me know if you get any plans, cheers

Last edited: