Yellomundee 24th July

PJS

Likes Dirt
Hi all. I'm keen on using these next few weeks to train up and have a crack at the WSMTB club race on the 24th. I need some help with the course directions.

I found this map: http://www.mapmywalk.com/routes/fullscreen/13671356/. Best if seen in satellite view I think. Would this be the same as the race layout? Can someone cut, paste and modify it if it doesn't tkae much effort? Looked at past race results on their site and works out to about 6.5km laps (so this mapped out ride can't be exact).

I've only ridden the whole course once quite a while ago and can't remember how to find the start of the second loop. I can remember starting the first loop (top loop on that link) riding anticlockwise, with the start riding over a little wooden ramp thing - vague I know. Been a while.

I'm not expecting to be competitive (at all!) but would be good since I've got 2 weeks off to have a few rides during the day down there. Would help to ride the right way!

(The race on the 24th won't be reverse direction either will it?)

Edit: Thanks Alchemist. Found a better map : http://www.trailflix.com.au/tfx_new/trails.php?id=yellowmundee&&component=satphoto Rode it this morning (before I found this map). Rode the track to the left of the 3 old tables, that took me to the firetrail back to the carpark, where I found the track I shouldve started on. Still don't know exactly where it starts but have a better idea now. Should be abundantly clear when I go there next week. The wooden ramp thing is a tractor tyre, wood on the backside. It's a great track out there. Love the last creek crossing.

Thanks to anyone who can help. Didn't want to bother any of their people with this.

Last edited:

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
Track would normally go sections 4 5 6 7 1 2 3, but of course that could change, depending on track conditions on race day - bits may come in or out.

PJS

Likes Dirt
I edited my first post so this didnt get bumped up (thanks alchemist), but just thought I'd add some pics and hope someone can let me know if I'm on the right track (pardon the pun).

I think I found where the start would be? Guessing the pack would charge off towards the corner of the fencing (red arrow) and all squeeze through head right up the trail? The road on the right of the pic takes you to the car park.
P11-07-11_1653a.jpg

Just after the first creek crossing there is a definite fork in the path. Hopefully someone can help here.
P11-07-11_1611[01]a.jpg
The branches that border the right hand side sort of suggest you should head left but it takes you up this:
P11-07-11_1611[02]a.jpg
and a short time after this:
P11-07-11_1612a.jpg

If you ignored the branches and rode the right branch of the fork you end up riding beside the creek for a short while before coming to where the track turns back on itself (Sort of like a hairpin to the left after the big grey rock):
P11-07-11_1617a.jpg
before a different stepped climb (yay):
P11-07-11_1618a.jpg

So which way does the race go? I reckon there'd be havoc if everyone did go left at the fork, but the branches sort of suggest that's the way. The other way adds more of a gentle climb, with you eventually riding along a fenceline before a gently winding downhill through some grass.

Anyone recognise the pics?
Cheers.

(PS what tyres do people like for this track? I only have crossmarks but they're not inspring confidence on the corners. Feels like they keep wanting to wash out. Technique or tread issue? Have them around 30-35 psi, recommended lowest was 35 on the sidewall. I weigh 72kg, XTC hardtail.)

chica

Likes Dirt
Hi PJS
I've done all the club races this year and each time the course has been different, which keeps it interesting and also competitive.
So far this year the course has started at the left of the grass paddock (picture were you had red arrow) where there are 3 trails - one on the left takes you over the tyre, middle one is the trail you ride up to the go right into the trail with the tyre and then the 3rd trail on your right is the one that we have been going down. First time it took us through the grass carpark where you had the arrow but the remaining 2 races have taken us all the way down the 3 rd trail. This 3rd trail has a few options either down the fire road (left), up (right) the fire road half way up and then onto single track on your left or keep going further up the fire road to the next left turn off into single track.
So far we have only done the creek crossing that leads up to the rock garden (photo you had) once out of 3 rounds. We headed left at the fork which takes you up to that picture of a log you showed. I've not seen any dramas, people either know they can ride it or people get off and out of the way.
There are so many possibilities so I guess your best bet is to try and ride all the trails and practise on the bits that challenge you.
you'll love the event though, great atmosphere and good people
oh and i run Crossmarks on the rear and Nobbie Nics on the front and i've not had an issue riding here but i'm not going at warp speed - but best you seek out advice from the guys from the front of the pack :)

PJS

Likes Dirt
Great! Thanks for the helpful replies.
I've just been reading the tyre threads and it sounds like it'd be a good idea to have a gripier tyre on the front like you do. Will have to organise something there. I'll keep experimenting with the pressures too.
Will do as you say and just keep practicing my weaknesses. Stepped climbs are probably my biggest weakness at this stage. Getting the right gear, just enough weight forward to lift the rear, but not so much you lose traction, hopefully not bouncing backwards off the next rock... Fun fun :D
I have some good DVDs by Aust mtb mag which have been helpful. Nothing beats practice.
Looking forward to the 24th. Can't see me doing 20-25min laps but will give it a crack.
Thanks again

spudatm

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i don't set the track but i know the guys who do. Im not speaking for them either however but I can give you some certainty as to what will definately be in the track.
The track nearly always heads down the first singletrail to your right if you are facing the tractor tyre. You will follow this untill you hit the firetrail. Most imes you will come back up towards the car park using this firetrail. Almost certaily there will be some sort of descending combination in the singletrail on the west side of the firetrail. This almost always brings you to the bridge and creek crossing. The rockytrail off to your right after the brdge is called lumleys and gets used from time to time but not regulary seems to come out for the four hours usually. The motorcross track will definately be in the track as it is unavoidable. Following this singletrail will eventually bring back tothe tractor tyre and you will most likely follow the singletrail all the way to the farm house. Now that we have regained acess to the northern loop you most likely will turn right at the farm house and continue onto the trotting track and through the tunnel of love. There are only two options on the northern loop the short or long version you will see the split when riding it. Right is long short is straight. You will descend along the powerlines cross shaws creek and make your way back onto the trotting track and basdically from there you follow your nose back to the carpark.
Tyre wise I find crossmark front and rear a bit slippery so run a high roller or ignitor on the front.
Hope this helps

PJS

Likes Dirt
Cheers! That was extremely helpful. Was starting to wonder how I'd ride all of the track in 25min. I've been doing the longer section of the northern loop, and the loop of track up near the car park (above where you cut back in off the firetrail I'm guessing). Thought the rocky section for the 4hrs would be part of it too. Happy they trim it down! (Will still practice the whole thing)
Thanks for the link to your Garmin info Alchemist - I viewed it in Google Earth and all of the labels like 'Tunnel of Love' and 'Motocross' were there. Shame the day you rode they took out the 'powerline drop' and 'jetblack hole'.
Off for more practice this arvo.
Thanks again

I'm thinking I'll try an Ignitor or Nevegal on the front. Maybe high roller. Other people have mentioned Larsen TT and Small Block 8 but I'm guessing they wouldn't have enough bite? They don't look any more aggressive than the outer edge of the crossmarks.

Last edited:

spudatm

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cheers! That was extremely helpful. Was starting to wonder how I'd ride all of the track in 25min. I've been doing the longer section of the northern loop, and the loop of track up near the car park (above where you cut back in off the firetrail I'm guessing). Thought the rocky section for the 4hrs would be part of it too. Happy they trim it down! (Will still practice the whole thing)
Thanks for the link to your Garmin info Alchemist - I viewed it in Google Earth and all of the labels like 'Tunnel of Love' and 'Motocross' were there. Shame the day you rode they took out the 'powerline drop' and 'jetblack hole'.
Off for more practice this arvo.
Thanks again

I'm thinking I'll try an Ignitor or Nevegal on the front. Maybe high roller. Other people have mentioned Larsen TT and Small Block 8 but I'm guessing they wouldn't have enough bite? They don't look any more aggressive than the outer edge of the crossmarks.

No worries
We try to keep to the UCI guidelines in terms of track length so the track for xc is usually no longer than 7 kms approx

ukalipt

Likes Dirt
i love this guessing the track.
i don't believe even the track setters know the track till the morning of the race
and even then they change it on the fly. they're a crafty bunch.

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
I'm always surprised they always manage to make a loop. One day every one will end up in the river :p