Yellowmundee on the weekend...

mtb5150

Likes Dirt
I took my family out there on the weekend to try to introduce my wife to the sport.

My previous total experience of Yellowmundee was only of the novice track.
I took a lap of the entire trail and all I could say was WOW! Had a great time and it was cool finding all the new experiences, the creek crossings, rock gardens, techy climbs , all really cool. Stacked 3 times, twice in the rock gardens and one really bad stack (worst I have had since taking up MTB). I had just finished a long hard techy climb over rocks and got to what looked like a long fast flowing single trail with really nice berms to rail. With a big grin on my face I really started to fly through this track, flowing from berm to berm until I hit a gravel section on a berm, fron ttyre slipped out and I landed hard on shoulder & head. Funny thing to say but even though it hurt, it added to the experience.

Great day riding with the only dampener being finding trail bikes riding on the tracks. It really peed me off. Not only is it dangerous with kids riding the track but they were really chewing out the berms.

Last edited:

JP

Likes Dirt
Nice one. It's always good to get the fam involved to some extent. It makes buying bike stuff so much easier!

As far as motorbikes go, try and get a number plate if you can, or a description, and let National Parks know. I live at Winmalee and the pricks have been tearing up Grose Head South like nobody's business.

BLKFOZ

Likes Dirt
I was out at Yellowmundee last week - it is excellent at the moment. Slightly damp but not wet and really grippy.
The club volunteers have done a really good job fixing up the bottom loop and clearing back some of the scrub and the frost has killed off the lantana that was getting annoying.
The bottom loop in particular is much better than I've seen it before. I think I like the top loop better for the techy climbs and decents but the bottom has really grown on me after last week.
Might head out there soon for my first night ride at Yellowmundee.

mtb5150

Likes Dirt
as one of the trail bikes sped towards my son and I kept my son off the track and pointed at my son as the bike passed my in the opposite direction. He slowed and gave me a signal as if he had just performed some huge act of respect. I wanted to kick him off his bike.

I saw him later sitting on his bike at the gates I really wanted to go and talk to him but I had fam waiting for me to finish my lap.

I understand that these guys must be hard up finding great places to ride and that Yellomundee must be like a paradise find for them. But I think surely if they had it explained to them that the trails are only there due to WSMTB hard work and the risk that they pose to losing the facility for the club and other MTB riders. Surely you think that they would understand?

mtb5150

Likes Dirt
I was out at Yellowmundee last week - it is excellent at the moment. Slightly damp but not wet and really grippy.
The club volunteers have done a really good job fixing up the bottom loop and clearing back some of the scrub and the frost has killed off the lantana that was getting annoying.
The bottom loop in particular is much better than I've seen it before. I think I like the top loop better for the techy climbs and decents but the bottom has really grown on me after last week.
Might head out there soon for my first night ride at Yellowmundee.
That is the first time I have riden the top loop and I loved it. Loved the rock gardens leading to that really steep descent to the creek crossing with the steep climb up. When I hit those rocky climbs I was stumped. I actually thought I was goin ghte wrong way until I saw some arrows. It will take a while before I can climb on those techy climbs.

mtb5150

Likes Dirt
Nice one. It's always good to get the fam involved to some extent. It makes buying bike stuff so much easier!

As far as motorbikes go, try and get a number plate if you can, or a description, and let National Parks know. I live at Winmalee and the pricks have been tearing up Grose Head South like nobody's business.
i tried to call cops & NP from the track but couldnt get reception. They were long gone by the tim eI was back from my ride.

BLKFOZ

Likes Dirt
That is the first time I have riden the top loop and I loved it. Loved the rock gardens leading to that really steep descent to the creek crossing with the steep climb up. When I hit those rocky climbs I was stumped. I actually thought I was goin ghte wrong way until I saw some arrows. It will take a while before I can climb on those techy climbs.
There are a few different variations to take once you cross the bridge and go round the sandy right hander about 1/3rd through the top loop -
1. Very tricky climb up to the left, over a log roll with criss cross markings cross the firetrail and join the singletrack. Cuts out a lot of the top loop.
2. Stay straight/slight right - through some fairly easy rock gardens (with the exception of the corners) that snake their way up and turn left on the firetrail, then turn right after the corner onto the singletrack.
3. As for 2 except turn right on to the firetrail, stay left and follow up a left leading hill, round a right hander into a sandy straight. Follow down a slight hill round to the left, stay left onto the singletrack where you see a gate on your right. Follow the single track down some coppers logs and mesh reinforced corners (very good place to get a lead on your mates here) to the fireroad and turn left. Ride a few hundred metres along fireroad and rejoin the single track by turning right at the corner as in 2 above.
There are many other short link trails that are used and offer good alternatives fo loops.
Have fun, might see you out there.........

Last edited: