Yet another 'help me fix my computer' thread, alll my stuff is invisible

'Ross

Eats Squid
Yes here it is, another computer virus/problem thread....we should really put them all together into one spot I reckon.

My problem: I caught one of those annoying fake antivirus viruses....actually through looking at Alfa Romeo pics off google, clicked a website and BANG copped one called 'Windows Repairer'.

It took a few shots to get rid of, starting in safe mode, looking at those online guides and trying each method, somewhere along the line it blocked all my programs and folders from opening, but eventually I followed the right guide and now it is all gone.

MY PROBLEM is that now when I go to my computer or my documents, everything is seemingly gone! All the program files are there, but my documents is completely empty and so are downloads and other similar folders.

I don't think they are actually deleted, when I open word or powerpoint the last few documents are right there and able to be opened, but if I go to 'file, open' everything is empty!

So my theory is everything is still there, just hidden for some reason....any ideas how to get it all back/make it visible. Also my desktop background is now black but asides from that everything is fine again.

Ziggy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Im pretty computer illiterate, but the two times i've had viruses i've restarted my computer back to a certain point. I don't know about any other operating systems, but vista has a program of sorts that allows you to restart your computer back 24 hours (usually in 24 hour intervals).

So i started it up in safe mode, restarted it back 24 hours and she's all fixed. The only files i lost were the ones i'd aquired within that 24 hours. Don't know if this helps v0v

Dirt king

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I haven't used windows for a while due to using apple for the last year or so, but I do remember there is an option for files that can make them hidden.

If you are to go to any file, to memory you can:

- Right Click on it
- Properties
- And under one of the tabs in properties you can make the file hidden.

Therefore if you tick hidden, and apply it the files to become 'hidden'... surprise surprise.

That said you can view them, but you have to change the folder view options, and again tick all hidden files or something along those lines, and in return you can then see the files. Do a little research because Windows XP you could do this easily, Windows Vista and 7 made, making hidden files a littler harder. That is potentially the reason, but can't be sure.

taquar

Likes Dirt
Try this if you are using windows xp: tools - folder options - view. Then tick the box that says 'show hidden files and folders'. Then select the larger folder and make them all unhidden.

That might work, otherwise you might have to do a system restore back to the point before you started viewing the pictures. The timeframe all depends on when the computer last set a restore point.

Hope it helps.

Calv

Likes Bikes
Hey Ross,

I had a quick Google on Windows Repair malware and it seems very similar to the Antivirus 2007,2008,2009,2010 famly of fake virus scanners. They're a pain but can usually be removed with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. http://www.malwarebytes.org.
If you can't use your browser on the infected computer to download malwarebytes, download it on another pc, copy to a usb key and install on the infected computer in Safe mode. Scan the computer using quick scan and it should remove the malware. Let us know how you go.

Last edited:

'Ross

Eats Squid
Thanks Calv, Malware combined with a couple of other programs was what fixed it.

I did use the control panel 'system restore' before making this thread, but it restored it to the time I got the virus so I had to go through the whole process again:p

I've since restored it to a time a few days ago...the virus is gone again but all the folders and documents I talked about are still gone, the desktop picture has come back though. I think the stuff is genuinely deleted, and probably not hidden but I'll keep playing around.

It's not really a big deal for me, all the important stuff is saved elsewhere, just pretty irritating and surprising that such a basic virus can wreck the whole Microsoft system.
Is it true that Macintosh's are immune to these sort of viruses? I've never owned one because I hate Apple, but if they really are immune to the annoying viruses then I think I'll just get one for my next computer (next year) and replace the keyboard and mouse....paint it black and pretend its a PC:p

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
surprising that such a basic virus can wreck the whole Microsoft system.
Is it true that Macintosh's are immune to these sort of viruses? I've never owned one because I hate Apple, but if they really are immune to the annoying viruses then I think I'll just get one for my next computer (next year) and replace the keyboard and mouse....paint it black and pretend its a PC:p
Apple/Macs/Anything aren't "immune" for viruses. Hackers/virus writers etc. stereotypically use Microsoft, and write viruses FOR Microsoft based systems, there's still the potential on any system.

You just have to bit a little careful and use the right programs. I'm using FireFox 4 and whenever I go on a potentially hazardous website it full on blocks it. Haven't had a virus in the last 2 years using it and I have no antivirus and firewall is completely off. I think other browsers do the same thing but IMO IE9 sucks (if your using it) there's a few very strong free anitvirus around too...

Sucks about your files man.

Spotty

Likes Dirt
Hey Ross,

I had a quick Google on Windows Repair malware and it seems very similar to the Antivirus 2007,2008,2009,2010 famly of fake virus scanners. They're a pain but can usually be removed with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. http://www.malwarebytes.org.
If you can't use your browser on the infected computer to download malwarebytes, download it on another pc, copy to a usb key and install on the infected computer in Safe mode. Scan the computer using quick scan and it should remove the malware. Let us know how you go.

Yeerr, safe mode with networking shouldve been your first step. I got the dreaded "system tools" but the was easliy removed using malwarebytes. Sucks about your files man, +1 for firefox to, kicks arse over explorer. It checks all exes for virusres before you download them.

On the topic of antivirus, what are you using (apart from windows repairer :rolleyes:)? the free AVG is acceptable, to me its better the *shudder* norton *shudder*. If you want a really good anti virus, GET SYMANTEC!!!!!!! its awesome!!! and its sorta low-lying so it doesnt take over your computer and it scans all downloads and USBs etc for viruses. and yes im aware that symantec is the same company as norton.

'Ross

Eats Squid
Hmmm strange, I only use firefox and the latest versions download automatically...losing the files isn't a big deal to me as I have all the stuff on external drives, just a hassle.

When I accidentally download viruses thinking they are other downloads its usually through internet explorer, and all the viruses pop up with their spam through internet explorer, but I definitely cop them through firefox as well. I made a thread a while ago called 'deleting internet explorer' because I thought IE was secretly to blame for all the trouble, even though I was only using firefox. By the way the anti-virus stuff I use is Microsoft Security Essentials which seems to work ok most of the time.

Last edited: