Yeti 4.5 c 5 v 5.5 v 6

So which one should I buy?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

stinkytodamax

Likes Dirt
Hi Guys

After lusting after Yeti's since I first got into mountain biking 20 years ago I'm finally in the position (at the ripe old age of 33) to buy my dream (lets now forget paying the mortgage out earlier). However I'm having a hard time deciding from what is now a comprehensive range of which model to get.

So with all important life decisions I'm asking for input from the esteemed brains trust that is rotorburn.

I live and do 95% of my riding in Canberra and perfer going downhill to up. If Strava is any guide I tend to sit in the top 10% on descents and 25% on climbs. I'm looking for a bike that may replace my ageing but still very good 120mm/100mm travel Santa Cruz Blur XCc and my 160mm/140mm 2015 Giant Trance that I just haven't gotten on with. I plan on racing Gravity Enduro style races like the roller Coaster series and also participate in 12/24 hr events like the Scott and Mont as well as riding trail based loops with mates.

I've been able to test the SB5c and I though that thing really ripped especially descending. The 127mm of travel felt like a lot more than the 140mm on my Trance. The poise and accuracy of the bike was simply the best I've experienced. Climbing was noticeably harder than my xc bike but still very good especially on the lumpy Majura Pines trails. I can see this bike working quiet well as my enduro bike with some limitations in burley terrain and ok as an XC bike.

However the 29er SB series bikes have also peaked my interest. Right now I haven't been able to get a demo on one and was hoping for any owners out there to help with input. I'm thinking the 4.5c would moonlight better as an XC bike but potentially come up short on the enduro style trails and descents I enjoy riding the most.

Also looking at the new 5.5c, will the bigger wheel assist it in climbing in the same manner as the 27.5 5c but be even more capable on the descents?

Again I hope to test ride one but the opportunities I imagine will be few and far between.

Any input is appreciated however right now I'm not keen on other brands/bikes. I regretted not buying a Yeti when I bought the Santa Cruz so I'm committed to buying a Yeti for now.

Whatever I buy I will be building myself so the spec will be basically identical for any frame I end up getting.

Cheers

JP

Last edited:

specialized32

Likes Bikes
SB series are getting on now in there age, having owned a sb66 and 95 for your type of riding (similar to my own style) I would go the 6. Having also ridden both the 5c for me was the winner as über trail bike that can handle decent drops, just the perfect balance of travel and the switch infinity is a very noticeable upgrade. The 6 is what most of my friends changed over from a 66 to, slightly slacker and basically a mini down hill bike that can climb optimally as well. If it wasn't for yeti being so damn expensive now I would have continued the love affair

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mitchy_

Llama calmer
buying a bike purely for the brand without really knowing what you want seems a bit silly in my eyes, but whatever floats your boat...

the sb5.5c would be a worthy contender. there has been an influx of ~140mm 29'ers of late, they are a very versatile bike if it's to be a jack of all trades. i'd be trying to throw my leg over one though (hell, go test a specialized stumpy... they are probably the easiest bike to get a demo of, and it's pretty much the benchmark as far as 140mm 29er's go)

Soul-Rider

Likes Dirt
Love my SB5c.
I picked it up second hand for a pretty good price but have been amazed by it ever since. With a Fox 36 Fork on it, big bars and tyres it's a 12kg trail eating monster. Pedals well and eats bumps like no 130mm bike should. The new 29'er 5.5c would be amazing. It's a shame that they're so brutally expensive. The reviews of the SB6 make it sound like a BIG bike. But if you have the terrain for it then that could be the way to go.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
For Canberra trails would hands down take the shorter travel 29 option. I reckon the 4.5c would be faster than the others pretty much everywhere apart from maybe if you were just doing tuggers pines runs or the DH track at Stromlo.

As above though, check out other options apart from yeti.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
buying a bike purely for the brand without really knowing what you want seems a bit silly in my eyes, but whatever floats your boat...
I agree but also disagree at the same time. OP's lusting after a Yeti, they are an excellent bike, regardless of model (SB75 excluded), and comparable to anything else on the market.

SB series are getting on now in there age
Switch infinity (SB6/5/4.5/5.5) is totally different to the switch linkage of the original SB66/95 and is relatively new. To say its ageing is a bit of a silly statement. Just look at all other manufacturers, all of which have persevered with various linkage setups for years/decades, and of which there are limited number of different options. (Single pivot, Split pivot, Horst link, VPP, DW-link etc)

For Canberra trails would hands down take the shorter travel 29 option. I reckon the 4.5c would be faster than the others pretty much everywhere apart from maybe if you were just doing tuggers pines runs or the DH track at Stromlo.

As above though, check out other options apart from yeti.
Gotta agree with the 4.5c being the most "fast trail" or XC oriented out of the group, but that's not to say that's what the OP wants.
I ride a 6c, I love it, but its by no means a groomed trail flyer. It has its perks for the way I like to ride, but it also loses out on some of the smaller stuff. I'm not as efficient climbing as when riding my mates 5c, and I wouldn't consider it to be much use in XC duties. Its more of a "get me to the bit where it starts to point down" and thats where it comes into its own!

Personally, looking purely at geo numbers, the SB5.5c looks the goods. Similar HA, SA and wheelbase numbers to the SB5c, but with 29" rims, the thing will be a ripper rig.

mossmanguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have the SB6c and I can't fault it. I came from a downhill background on downhill bikes but now do a bit of peddling to keep me fit, although I still do predominantly ride downhill. The slack head angle makes for a very soft ride over ruts and rocks and the CTD option on my rear shock changes the bike quickly into a climber. I am running Pike RCT3 160mm on there now although because of my preference of DH I am swapping them for a Fox 36 180mm fork.
I had a ride on a SB5 after owning my 6 and it is still an enjoyable ride down hill, although it is a completely different bike that I would recommend to someone who predominantly rides up hill and does small amounts of downhill (almost opposite of myself). The steeper head angle makes a big difference and gives you less confidence to let the bike make its own track.
Someone once told me the SB6c is a 9/10 at descending and 7/10 at ascending, The SB5 is 9/10 at ascending and 5/10 at descending. - I completely agree.
This is just my opinion, I'm sure you won't be dissapointed whichever way you go, as long as you go Yeti ;)

stinkytodamax

Likes Dirt

the sb5.5c would be a worthy contender. there has been an influx of ~140mm 29'ers of late, they are a very versatile bike if it's to be a jack of all trades. i'd be trying to throw my leg over one though (hell, go test a specialized stumpy... they are probably the easiest bike to get a demo of, and it's pretty much the benchmark as far as 140mm 29er's go)
Appreciate what you are saying Mitch, to keep my post short(er) I didn't detail my preferences for suspension type. I've never enjoyed FSR especially for climbing, I'm still currently on VPP which is really good but I want to try something different, less pedal feedback, I've had other horst link bikes and of course the Giant maestro. I've spent some time on the 5c and the switch infinity and I really really liked the way it rode.

From further research and what's written above I've ruled out the 6c as too much bike for me and the 4.5c as I just don't think the intent of this bike meets what I'm looking for i.e. something I can race enduro's on and trail ride.

My only other hope is an updated 5c later this year that has some of the other qualities of all the other SB's like internal routing and boost and perhaps a slightly shorter chain stay.