Yeti 575

ChopSticks

Banned
Nice.

Best of luck getting her to ride it. The building of the bike was the easy part for me. Going out for a ride together, near impossible.
hahahahaha, shes actually a really fit rider and loves cycling... just not MTB.
she'll happily ride clips on the road, but a soon as she sees dirt... it's a different story lol
Just hope a bike which fits her will make her enjoy it more!!

Last time one of my mates built up a nice carbon bike for his lady friend to get her in to mountain biking, she got fed up with switchbacks and ended up throwing the bike in to a tree in a fit of rage. Good luck!
BAHAHAAHAHAHA
sounds like my girl :behindsofa:

3 things to remember when riding with the misses/ girl or any beginners really.

1. Make sure there bike is as good or close enough to your bikes capabilty (can't expect her to ride tech trails on a $400 hardtail when your bike is worth $2000 +)
2. Comfy saddle, Specialized ones are good, WTB are also good as they both have women specific ones
3. Don't smash up climbs, or fly on the downhills especially if there technique/ or they don't ride as much as you its a bit of slap in the face IMHO.
Great points Michael !
1. wont be a problem... even the old trance was pretty pimped out (just too small)
2. shes got a Selle Italia Ldy saddle now which we swapped out after the first ride.. no complaints ever since, so it's all good :D
3. I always ride VERY slowly and wait for her :) ..... learnt my lesson the hard way :doh:

I'll add a point.

# Don't give them a high saddle. Make sure they can reach the ground EASILY.
very true!
This larger frame has a much higher stand over height than the old small trance, it was something she noticed/struggled with immediately.
so a dropper might be on the cards!

Nice one Chops, good to see another mighty Yeti saved from the clutches of some rich dudes spare room. :behindsofa:

Looks great, and a very nice bike for the missis.
Thanks Johnny!
its been saved from one owner to another :p
if stars align in the next few months.... there might be another build thread appearing :tape:

Might actually take it for a ride tomorrow at OMV in the morning..... care to join? 8:30-11am~

If the dhx is squishing it probably needs an IFP reset and bleed. I've done it before it can be fiddly but if you want to give it a go there is heaps out there on mtbr etc. They are a good shock when working just blow through the middle a bit quick but you can shim the other sleeve which helps a little
yehhhh pretty sure its the IFP playing up... might trawl through MTBR for some tips/pointers.
rebound however still functions properly... so it's rather strange?
Never had a DHX... but I know they work very well. Will see how it goes... 95% of the time it wont see dirt, so a new shock is really at the bottom of the to do list.

First off though... BRAKES!

There's always the chance of getting her out on the dirt with such a nice bike too.
Good on ya, looks great. Never ridden but always loved a Yeti.
She jumped on it today and instantly loved the extra room... "WOW it's so much bigger and more comfortable"
so... it looks promising !!
:bounce:

Does the rear triangle have more carbon than your SB66?
sadly with her carbon bars... there IS more carbon than mine :pout:
HAHAHAHA

Last edited:

ChopSticks

Banned
575 is finally road/trail worthy!

A mate kindly lent me a spare set of Elixir 5's while I save up for some better brakes.
fitted the rear as its only temporary.... but at least the 575 be ridden and can stop safety !

Frame tabs on this bike is terrible (clearly designed for US braking with all tabs on the left of the frame... meaning right hand/rear braking)
But I managed to tuck the brake hose under the lower headset and isolate cable rub with some thin zip ties! nice and neat now!

Have sourced a black Fouriers N/W ring for cheap.... but will confirm final size once she tries both 34 and 36 out.
Will also have a 10spd XT shadow+ mech in the next week or so... which means it's one step closer to 10spd !

ChopSticks

Banned
Got back from a week of holidays and have some goodies waiting!

Used Shadow+ XT mech which I plan on running with a 9spd sram shifter until I can find a cheap XT shifter/cassette and move onto full 10spd.

and to go with that mech is a 34T Fouriers N/W chain ring with blue bolts

Does the rear triangle have more carbon than your SB66?
stay posted Matt.... might not be for long :heh:

ChopSticks

Banned
Managed to install the 10spd XT mech onto the 9spd cassette with no issues... didnt even require the 6mm spacer! :whoo:

Also installed the 34T Fourier Ring and bolts, teeth look higher than most other rings I've seen/used. So hopefully no dropped chains/longer wear (not that I've dropped chains with old makes)

ChopSticks

Banned
Managed to sell all the 9spd stuff and so she's now on 10spd !!

xt shifter and xt cassette installed.
Also threw on some spare xtr rotors I had to replace the xt's.... Saved 9 grams :fear:

Took the missus and her new bike out for a ride yesterday with the weather clearing up!
Shock is def dead, absolutely no LSC, tried to slow down rebound to compensate to get her through the ride, but it would just pack down. Speed it up and it would just pogo in the back...Did the best I could, but it definitely needs servicing/replacing.
Luckily I have a CTD shock lined up (not sure on tune), and will most likely repair the DHX 5.0 and put it back on and see how it feels vs the CTD

her impressions:

- stand over height is much higher (as expected with a larger frame), so I might need to look into a cheap dropper post to help her get on/off the bike. A problem with this is the lack of cable routing/frame tabs.
- bars feel too wide (711mm) despite being the same width as her old ones.... Guess I'll need to look at a shorter stem (50-60?)
- gearing, I was worried she would struggle with the 34 up front,
but she didn't struggle too much so I'm happy with the set up now!
- loves the rapid fire shifting on xt's. And also the slightly heavier feel (clutched)

All it's missing now is XT brakes and it will be a full XT bike (cranks asap), which should be here in a week.
Also need to replace that 9spd kmc chain as it's just scrubbing in certain gears (changes perfectly, but not 100% as I expect/want) despite my repeated efforts to tune (also had a mechanic mate try his hand)... So don't say it's me :whistle:

Overall it's all smiles!!! I'm happy she's riding a bike, and shes happy she has a new bike !

camoshop

Banned
Probs best to get her a short stem, if it's what she's use to, comfort is the key. Where did you guys ride yesterday?

ChopSticks

Banned
Probs best to get her a short stem, if it's what she's use to, comfort is the key. Where did you guys ride yesterday?
Yehhh, I tried rolling bars back a smidge and pushing saddle forward 4mm~... but most likely require a shorter stem. Will see how she feels on it next ride !
I already got her a shorter stem for this build (70mm), the old trance had a 90mm. But it looks like I'll need a 50mm :shocked:

Just under 20kms at SOP, then 5kms on trails near my house after. She's def more coinfident riding the bigger bike and riding faster! (gearing? lack of brakes? bigger bike? lol)

Nice build chops, I'm sure she will enjoy! btw, her ring looks better than yours
thanks mate! so far so good!
hahaha yes she's pushing a bigger cog! and theres been a few jokes I need to actually put a ring on it (her) too. :behindsofa:

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Keep an eye on the dogbone. After finding mine is cracked, I've done some trawling and found it is fairly common.

Mine has cracked through the bearing retainer at the shock end, a few mm from the small bolt that snugs down on the bearing. I had the impression That I'd done my DU bushes as I was getting a small amount of play in the rear end when I lifted the frame. Popped the shock out as I have DU's in the mail and the bearing falls out.

Calling Rowney soon to see if they've got them locally, otherwise looking around $150 from Yeti in the US.

moorey

call me Mia
Calling Rowney soon to see if they've got them locally, otherwise looking around $150 from Yeti in the US.
That's loser talk. I suggest an Internet rage and smear campaign against yeti. That shit should be free. Accept no less.

ChopSticks

Banned
Keep an eye on the dogbone. After finding mine is cracked, I've done some trawling and found it is fairly common.

Mine has cracked through the bearing retainer at the shock end, a few mm from the small bolt that snugs down on the bearing. I had the impression That I'd done my DU bushes as I was getting a small amount of play in the rear end when I lifted the frame. Popped the shock out as I have DU's in the mail and the bearing falls out.

Thanks for the heads up dude!
Shame these bikes are out of warranty!
Is it from over torquing? Or just bad design? (Does look pretty thin)

Fingers crossed for you! Do keep me posted on the outcome!
Cos this 575 looks to be a keeper!!

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm expecting it failed due to my girth (120kg). I bought the frame second hand and never had it apart so don't know if the bolt was over torqued. It does have Enduro bearings, which I assume did not come with the frame, so there is a chance it may have been wrenched by a monkey.

The outcome was to purchase a new dogbone.
From UK at £100 + post (very ouch) ~A$200
Direct from Yeti in USA at US$70 + US$45post ~A$150
From Rowney (Aussie distro) A$160 + A$10 post

Ended up going local as it should arrive tomorrow or Thursday, even though USA was $20 cheaper.

Not an ideal outcome but it could have been much worse if the mounting hardware, bearings or shock were damaged. Hopefully this one lasts me a few years.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
The Yeti ASR used to have dogbone issues as well...

A fatigue thing more than maintenance as 2 of the frames I've seen it happen to were both owned by a very particular mechanic and his missus

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well if that's the case and they last 3-4 years, I should be ok. Hopefully on a newer frame by then.

The bloke at Rowney said they only sell about 3-4 per year. So either they don't fail that often, there aren't too many 575's in use in Oz anymore or they are sourcing their parts OS.

Who knows.

ChopSticks

Banned
Finally found a replacement shock!! 2014 CTD

Popped the old hardware off the DHX 5.0 and plugged them straight into the CTD, will def look into the polymer ones in a few months!

Also picked up a set of Hope hoops (she didn't like how quiet the XT wheels were)
Hope XD on Arch EX rear.... And a Hope Crest front, would've liked a matching set, but for the price! I can't complain! Just need to find a 8/9/10 speed freehub (anyone selling/swap?) and I'll fit them on asap! Also need to find a Maxxis that will go well with the ardent race! Any suggestions?

New brakes should arrive at the end of the week, so it should be close to it's final spec by then!