XC Yeti ARC Carbon 9.16kg - Cracked another frame...

Geoff Gump

Likes Dirt
Where that crack is doesn't have anything to do with riding beyond its capabilities imo. The only way that area is stressed is from bumming the seat too hard.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Too much rider for the hardtail :). Move to ASR-C?
Looking at your video, your going too hard on this bike man. Your riding in that video is great, but your exceeding the capabilities of the bikes design purpose. Which is clearly evident with all the parts your breaking. Might be worth looking at a bike that better suits your riding style. - my 2c.
Heck NO! Hardtails can take more of a beating than pansy ass dual sus riders think!

Where that crack is doesn't have anything to do with riding beyond its capabilities imo. The only way that area is stressed is from bumming the seat too hard.
^^ This guy!
Sucks if it is a crack but you know that Rowney Sports will look after you.

Is this frame the re-worked one with a beefier junction?
Try get the new matte black finish. I've seen one and they look amazing

poita

Likes Dirt
Bummer. How much lighter are crests over arches? At your weight it's probably 50/50, I personally used arches for peace of mind and have had no dramas. To everyone who says the bike is too lightweight, if you can't ride the mountain bike up and down a mountain, is it really a mountain bike?

will2

Likes Dirt
It should definitely take the beating its been given. If it was the ASR-C yes there may be some concern with the flogging.

Last edited:

r.ayres1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Maybe you need to look for something (frame and rims) a little more 'robust' for those downhill runs? Those rims are rated for 'cross country and light trail use', although I thought your frame would have held up. As gnarly as those trails are, you are 'light on your feet' so to speak. Cheers :decision:

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
Too much rider for the hardtail :). Move to ASR-C?
Mmmm an ASR-C is definitely on my to do list. I think my next bike will be a dual sus, mostly because I'm getting old and my back hurts on longer rides.

Looking at your video, your going too hard on this bike man. Your riding in that video is great, but your exceeding the capabilities of the bikes design purpose. Which is clearly evident with all the parts your breaking. Might be worth looking at a bike that better suits your riding style. - my 2c.
Fair enough, I'm not sure I agree though.

In 6,000km I have replaced:
- One frame due to a manufacturing defect, the tolerances on seat tube were incorrect on the first batch and they have all been replaced due to failure
- One rear rim needs replacing due to an overzealous tensioning by a LBS mechanic who has cracked the rim at all the drive side spoke holes
- One set of ultra light rotors which didn't appreciate 40 runs down Thredbo, fair enough on that point
- One chain quick link due to the raw powahhhhh from my chicken legs

Otherwise this bike has been maintenance free.

This crack (which is in an odd spot) is the first problem not caused by a predisposing issue. I only have one bike, and with the exception of two weekends at Thredbo I spend all my time doing XC at Stromlo, Majura, Sparrow and Bruce Ridge. I like going fast on the downhills, but I also like earning my fun with a good climb. I don't race a heap, but when I do its either 50km, 100km or stage races.

I think I'm doing exactly what this bike was designed for!

But perhaps you are right, maybe a Yeti SB 5C is in my future..... And and ASR-C..... And a SB 6C.....

Heck NO! Hardtails can take more of a beating than pansy ass dual sus riders think!
Is this frame the re-worked one with a beefier junction?
Try get the new matte black finish. I've seen one and they look amazing
Amen.

Yes this is the second batch with the fixed seat tube. Maybe too much extra meat at the front means the seat tube above the top tube flexes backwards?

Bummer. How much lighter are crests over arches? At your weight it's probably 50/50, I personally used arches for peace of mind and have had no dramas. To everyone who says the bike is too lightweight, if you can't ride the mountain bike up and down a mountain, is it really a mountain bike?
Dunno about Crest vs Arches, the issue wasn't the box section of the rim it was at the spoke hole. I suspect it wouldn't have happened if they used eyelets in their rims. Anyway, I have a nice set of carbon rims which are going on the bike this month. Might get me a bit closer to the 9kg mark.

Those rims are rated for 'cross country and light trail use', although I thought your frame would have held up. As gnarly as those trails are, you are 'light on your feet' so to speak. Cheers :decision:
Thanks! I love the challenge of trying to stay smooth on a hard tail. Every time I borrow a full sus bike I end up plowing straight through stuff and feeling like a hack.

k3n!f

Alrighty, I went on holidays and Bike Culture in Canberra built up a replacement frame and some new wheels.

The new wheels are 1450g, pretty tidy for 29er wheels and 130g lighter than the previous ones. The bike is now 9.16kg, temping me to buy some Eurobling to drop under the 9kg mark. I had new bearings put into the hubs and new cables, so the whole thing feels brand new.

Hubs - DT Swiss 240 6 bolt (the front is actually the 20mm version with end caps to reduce it to 15mm, so its a bit portly at 165g)
Rims - Light Bicycle 22mm internal
Spokes - DT Swiss Revolution
Nipples - DT Swiss Proloc Aluminium

The new frame looks very similar in the seat tube to the previous two, interesting that they haven't modified it. The paint job has changed slightly which is a shame as I preferred the previous one, but happy to be riding again. Thanks to Yeti for their fantastic customer support and to Bike Culture for sorting things out.

If I crack another frame I see as ASRc in my future....

Attachments

k3n!f

Either a 1x conversion or F+R eurobling skewers + seatpost collar + stem + saddle (you could drop 100g+ from that couch :p)
The couch is so comfy though!

I just missed a Fizik Gobi M1 saddle on ebay which would have dropped 50g, as well as being a shape that suits my ass. Surprisingly the saddle that came on the bike is only 202g, so it's not weight weenie, but it's not silly heavy.

What skewers would you suggest? I had a look at Tune F+R which would save 89g, but the spaghetti thin lever freaks me out. Their seat post collar looks nice though and would save 36g.

JT145

Likes Bikes
Carbon-Ti is an option.. would save a little.

A lovely new 1 x 11 XTR group would suit it well! ;)

Ackland

chats d'élevage
The Tune skewers are actually very solid.
Krischan said he's never seen a failure of the carbon lever.
The Tune collar is nice. Another alternative could be the carbocage collar

k3n!f

I've somehow managed to bugger my back up (too much fast or relative suspension deficiency?) so I've been off the bike for a while. Awaiting a Sports Physician appointment this week to discuss my MRI.

Maybe there will be an ASR Carbon in the near future.

In the mean time I've been going on some gentle road rides to keep me sane. I bought a Syntace 60mm stem to shorten the bike up so I don't have to bend forwards as much. Nice little stem, impressed with the 100g weight and 10 year warranty. Syntace seem to have the strong/light thing sorted, and the price isn't too bad if you shop around.

Attachments

k3n!f

Bugger. Might just be the paint, but it is in a pretty suspect position.

Looks like there might be an ASR Carbon in my future.

Attachments

Flow-Rider

Burner
Bugger. Might just be the paint, but it is in a pretty suspect position.

Looks like there might be an ASR Carbon in my future.
Aren't you sick of the down time off the bike, it would drive me nuts. The amount of warranty replacement frames I have seen for sale recently from Yeti, isn't funny any more.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Aren't you sick of the down time off the bike, it would drive me nuts. The amount of warranty replacement frames I have seen for sale recently from Yeti, isn't funny any more.
Exactly... Do you have another bike to ride whilst this gets fixed. I've had warranty replacements take what feels like ages (months) and the only thing keeping me sane is that I have other bikes to ride.

Not sure whether to wish it is just a cosmetic crack or something more substantial.
Good luck either way.

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I cracked my ARC two weeks before JoBerg2C last year and Rowney Sports were fantastic, got the new frame organised straight away and I had about 3 days off the bike. Loving the ASRc now though ;)