Yeti Cycles Elevation All Mountain Series Bright Round 2

benmwatkins

Likes Dirt
YETI CYCLES ELEVATION ALL MOUNTAIN SERIES: ROUND 2 BRIGHT NOVEMBER 17 & 18

link to enter: https://www.registernow.com.au/mtba/...er.aspx?E=1268

THE SERIES:

ELEVATION is a brand new all mountain style race series that features tracks that are roughly 70% downhill and 30% undulating (flat or climbing) and hardly any fire trail. This race series is designed to be not as technical as a downhill track, but not as much hard work and climbing as a cross country course.

It will appeal to all types of riders including downhillers who race but want something a bit more fun and less serious, and downhillers who dont race at all as some of the courses are too technical. It will also appeal to trail riders who are too scared to race downhill and not fit enough to race cross country, and itll also appeal to cross country riders who want a bit of adrenalin without all the big risks that go with racing downhill. The series does not clash with ANY of the Victorian Downhill Series, and I have scoured all the other club web sites to try and avoid clashing with other events also, so chances of you being able to make it to these races are very good, so come and give it a crack as it really will be AWESOME FUN.

Each round will be downhill type format with NO mass start, one minute gaps with timing done by the same company who do all the national series, and pro transport to the top of the mountain so you dont have to ride/push up. Any of these rounds that use part of a downhill course will have all the A lines and super tech sections bunted off, so riders on downhill bikes dont have a big advantage, and riders on a hardtail wont have to visit the dentist on the Monday.

BIKE SET UP:

The ideal bike would be a 4-6 inch travel bike with a dropper seat post, that can handle terrain on the whole mountain, up aswell as down, but youll be able to ride these courses on your dh or xc rig too, but the dh rig will be harder on the pedally sections, and the xc bike might limit you on the dh sections. Having both clip and flat pedals, and grippy and fast rolling tyres to choose from would alsobe an advantage.
Each round will feature courses that are 8-15 minutes in length and will be mostly single track with fire trail only used to link trails. Courses vary from steep and loose, to mellow and flowing, some are soft loamy dirt and some are hard pack clay and very rocky. Variation with your bike set-up, tyre choice and suspension set up will be key throughout the series. There will be a bike shop on site at each event, so you can get any parts you need, or get your bike fixed or adjusted by experienced mechanics.

ONLINE ENTRY COSTS:

Online entry prices will be $79 per rider for both sat and sun of each event, with day licences available for just $20 for riders that dont have an MTBA licence. Saturday only online entry is now available to riders not wanting to race or come on the Sunday for $50. Sunday only online entry is also now available to riders only wanting to ride Sunday for $60.

ON THE DAY ENTRY COSTS AT THE EVENT:

You can enter at the event for individual days or the whole event. Both days are $95, sat only is $50 and Sunday only is $60. Online pre entry for both days is the cheapest option and we make it that way to encourage riders to ride both days, and so we can book vehicles/trailers/toilets and all other logistics based on how many riders are entering.

CATERING/FOOD ON SITE:

All races will have catering at the events including food coffee drinks and snacks at cheap prices. Limited edition double sided event tee shirts are available for just $25, and Alpine Gravity single sided tee shirts are just $15.

Be aware that all entries are non-refundable and non transferable. If we cancel an event, you get a refund. If you don’t show up to an event you have entered, you don’t get a refund and your entry is not transferable. Exactly the same as if you buy a concert or football ticket.

FIRST AID/PARAMEDICS:

We will have first aid/paramedics at every event by St.John ambulance, with their own ambulance on site and trained and experienced first aid officers.

AGE CUT OFF DATES:

This 2012/2013 series finishes on the 3rd of March 2013. If for example you are 14 years old and do not have a birthday until after the series is finished, you would enter Under 15’s. If however you turn 15 during the series, you MUST enter under 17’s and go up an age class to compete in the correct class. This is the same with ALL age classes in this series.

CLASSES:

There are many different classes to enter. You can enter your age class, or you can choose to enter a class that matches your skill level. SPORT CLASS is for beginners, riders that are new to mountain biking, or havent been riding very long. EXPERT CLASS is for riders who have a bit of experience, maybe ridden for a few years and have some experience on varying terrain. ELITE CLASS is for very experienced riders who have been riding for years, have lots of experience and might race regularly.

ROUND 1: 27+28 OCTOBER FORREST

ROUND 2: 17+18 NOVEMBER BRIGHT

ROUND 3: 12+13 JANUARY FALLS CREEK

ROUND 4: 16+17 FEBRUARY MOUNT BEAUTY

ROUND 5: 2+3 MARCH BEECHWORTH

Hit up the Alpine Gravity web site at www.alpinegravity.net or the face book page (search alpine gravity) for all the LATEST info and specific race details for INDIVIDUAL ROUNDS such as accom, parking, track locations, race and practice times and all the info you need to have a great weekend.

EVENT SCHEDULE: ROUND 2 BRIGHT 17 & 18 NOV.

Link to enter: https://www.registernow.com.au/mtba/...er.aspx?E=1268

Race venue: Mystic Lane, off Coronation Avenue Bright. Drive up Mystic lane and a parking attendant will give directions on where to park, and event village location.

ACCOMODATION:

Best place to stay in town for this event is the Bright Holiday Park right in the middle of town. Beautiful surroundings and a short walk to everything, they have accommodation to suit every budget wether your camping with mates, bunking on your own, or bringing the family and looking for a nice comfy cabin. Give them a call on 1800 706 685 or 03 5755 1141 and ask about their current specials.

FRIDAY 16TH NOVEMBER

12pm-4pm Track open for inspection (on foot only-no riding for event staff safety)

6pm-8pm Head down to the STAR HOTEL for GREAT meals, corner Gavin St and Star Road BRIGHT, with a custom menu for mountain bikers.

8pm-10pm PRE RACE PARTY with the latest mountain bike movies on the big screen at Café Velo corner of Island St and Cobden st Bright, with a full bar open for drinks!!!!

SATURDAY 17TH NOVEMBER

8am Registration open at race venue

8.45am Rider briefing and track marshals on course.

9am Official practice begins-course is live.

Café Velo providing on site catering with hot food and drinks available at the race venue.

Cycle Path Bike Shop on site providing expert bike repairs and sales of all the things youll need.

4pm Official practice finishes.

4pm-5pm staff and event sponsors ride closed course-no other riders.

6pm-8pm Head over to the Alpine Hotel, corner of Anderson and Barnard street Bright for great meals and wicked pizza, with live entertainment.

8pm-10pm PARTY SOME MORE with more of the latest mountain bike films at Café Velo, with drinks at the bar.

SUNDAY 18TH NOVEMBER

8AM Registration open at race venue

8.45am Rider briefing and track marshals on course.

9am Official practice begins-course is live.

Café Velo providing on site catering with hot food and drinks available at the race venue.

Cycle Path Bike Shop on site providing expert bike repairs and sales of all the things youll need.

11.30am Official practice ends. Riders get ready for racing.

12 Midday Racing begins with LIVE TIMING running a FINISH LINE TIMING BOARD. Each rider does one timed run and can see instant results.

3.30pm Racing finishes.

4pm PRESENTATION WITH OFFICIAL RESULTS ANNOUNCED.

5PM COURSE BUNTING AND SIGNAGE REMOVED-ALL HELP APPRECIATED.

Bundy boy

Likes Dirt
Got my entry in yesterday Ben. I am sad to have missed the 1st round but l could not have missed the SS nats.
I am happy the hear the 1st round was a huge hit buddy.

waldog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Accommodation booked.

Will register over the weekend.

If this round is half as good as the first, we're in for a treat.

Good times ahead.

benmwatkins

Likes Dirt
bright

yeah looks like round two will be alot bigger than the first round in terms of numbers, and ive been working on the course flat out and its looking amazing.

i think anyone that comes along is in for a treat.

benmwatkins

Likes Dirt
Review of the first round at Forrest by Iride/Rocky Mountain rider Nick Rudzki

Heres a totally independant review of the first round of the sereis that went down in Forrest for anyone wondering what its like....

Want to know more about the Gravity Enduro Series? Check out this race review.

After seeing Gravity Enduro racing taking off via the magazines and interwebz in Europe, I was frothing to have a crack at it in Australia. Thanks to Benny Watkins and Alpine Gravity – it has landed and it is awesome.

Round 1 of the Gravity Enduro Series was in the mountain bike hub of Forrest down the ‘Red Carpet’ trail. I had ridden this trail before but only after riding up the dirty big hill from Apollo Bay as part of the Otway Odyssey – it was fun then even through the pain. I couldn’t wait to do shuttles with fresh legs.

With 4.5 kms of pure singletrack snaking through the natural forest it was good times all the way – apart from the dirty big hill in the middle. If you weren’t seeing stars and tasting glass on your race run, you simply weren’t doing it right. It hurt, and sorted the fit from the not so fit.

What bike? There were ALL sorts…. From full on XC hardtail 29ers which took out Vets through to a Commencal Supreme DH. Also out and about were some amazing blinged out carbon All-Mountain weapons – Nomads, Blur LTc’s, Mach 5.7s, Spicy’s, Zesty’s, Rocky Elements, Yeti’s...4”, 5”, 6” – it was all there. The one consistent theme seemed to be the RockShox Reverb which most people were running.

Ultimately though it didn’t matter what you were riding – it was fun times in hero dirt conditions all weekend.

I took my 120mm Rocky Mountain Element which i normally race enduro’s on, threw a Schwalbe Hans Dampf on the front for some more front meat than the usual Racing Ralph, slotted in a Reverb seatpost to release my inner downhiller and get the hips swinging, wrapped a Red Bull can around the crank to save it from the shuttle trailer and got wild.

After racing DH, XC and enduro’s approaching practise for this was a bit of an unknown. Punch as many runs as possible DH style? Single warm up lap like XC or just warm up during the race like an enduro? It turned into a bit of a preservation game.

With awesome shuttles limited only by your fitness most people seemed to simply blast the downhill bits (most of it) and granny ring on the uphill – pretty much my perfect riding recipe. I only did one run at about 80% as a bit of a test, it gave me a taste of the double digit minutes of race pain that was coming.

Race time and while everyone knew what they had to do – no one actually knew what it would feel like as we never did a 100% effort practise run. My plan went something like: find some rhythm, pedal like hell, taste glass, push some more, see double and then just try and hang on and try to remember about that rhythm stuff you thought about in the gate.

After nearly loosing the front on the first corner i found some composure before dropping my front wheel in a hole on a tight uphill corner and lost a few seconds. I was hoping that over 13 minutes it wouldn’t be a big deal but it was enough to miss out on the Elite podium. Regardless i had an awesome time riding my bike on great trails in perfect conditions.

So if you have read this far, get keen and book some accommodation for Bright. Tell your friends and bring them along. You don’t need a purpose built bike – just get a bit more grip and lower your seat a bit if you can’t get a hold of a Reverb. Not that fit? Just means you’ll have to push a bit harder on the downhill sections and then find a new max heart rate on the climb.

Thanks Ben Watkins for making this series happen, its the start of something big. Get on it

The Bright course is amazing. Youll be kicking yourself if you miss it!!!

waldog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
All signed up!!!

Counting down the days.

Can we expect something a bit rougher and steeper this round? Or are the cards being kept close to the chest on that one?

Wal.

benmwatkins

Likes Dirt
Bright

Yes mate, a bit rougher, a bit steeper in parts, a whole lot less padalling, and a whole lot more awesomeness.

Round one was a great course and an awesome weekend of riding, so if you missed it, dont miss the Bright round, it will be radical.

ONLINE ENTRIES CLOSE THIS COMING TUESDAY NIGHT AT TEN PM. enter online, save bucks.

waldog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yes mate, a bit rougher, a bit steeper in parts, a whole lot less padalling, and a whole lot more awesomeness.

Round one was a great course and an awesome weekend of riding, so if you missed it, dont miss the Bright round, it will be radical.

ONLINE ENTRIES CLOSE THIS COMING TUESDAY NIGHT AT TEN PM. enter online, save bucks.
Round one was a great course, even with the pedal.

Thanks for the small insight. Can't wait!!

Wal.

benmwatkins

Likes Dirt
bright round 2

i would highly recomend a dropper seat post to anyone racing bright, it certainly has some ups and downs!!!

Bluemutt

Likes Bikes
Hey Ben, does the race course use much of the old DH trail?
Spent alot of time shuttling and maintaining it in the "00's" and loved it, steep and heaps of vertical.
Moving back to the NE late dec so I'll be in for Falls and Beauty.

benmwatkins

Likes Dirt
trail

na mate, the old trail is pretty flogged and not suitable for this style of event. it uses part of the new dh track (world cup) but none of the crazy bits.

trail list is:

upper world cup, pedal to the metal, missing link, curtain, grevids way and gorilla warfare.

ONLINE ENTRY CLOSES TONIGHT AT TEN PM

Bluemutt

Likes Bikes
Sounds like heaps of work has been put in there.

Is there a trail map of the area available at Cycle Path or somewhere?

benmwatkins

Likes Dirt
trail map

na no "proper" map, but none of the good trails are sign posted, so even if you had a map you wouldnt know what trail your actually on. there are HEAPS of trails every where around bright

ridemtbsnow

Likes Bikes
I rode the brand new link track last night and can honestly say it's awesome! Ben has spent a lot of time building this track and the quality certainly shows.

I'm looking forward to racing, in fact, why wait? I might go and ride it at lunch today.

Wikid Z

Likes Dirt
^ Looking good. Tomorrow can't come quick enough. I'm looking forward to riding something new and different to what I normally ride. The race is just an excuse to go see new trails. I don't care where I finish in the race as long as I'm having FUN.

Birdie birdie in the sky laid a turdie in my eye. If cows could fly I'd have a cow pie in my eye.

Wikid Z

Likes Dirt
Well done Ben on a very enjoyable event. Riding something totally different to what I'm use to was very rewarding. I now know what downhill is. Looking forward to the next round.

Birdie birdie in the sky laid a turdie in my eye. If cows could fly I'd have a cow pie in my eye.