Yeti DH-9 Hub

McSweeney

Likes Dirt
Did a search, didnt find much.

Im thinking of buying a yeti dh-9 second hand, dad said yes, IF i can explain the situation to him.

As i understand it is a 20mm rear hub, which was only made specially for the bike by razor rock hubs.(It might not be 20mm, please correct me).
I told him this and he said great, and if you want a new hub when you have had the bike for a while, what ya gonna do?

So im wondering, is there anywhere to buy a hub to fit a yeti dh-9? If i wanted a new hub, am i completely fucked?

Thanks,
Will.

indica

Serial flasher
Ahh alright, thanks.
I dont need it now, just making sure i have options should it be of need in the future.
I meant he had a Yeti DH-9 for sale and should be able to tell you what the go is ....
But get in touch with Mert, he looked through his shed for some spares for my Schwinn.

Daver

Kung Fu Panda
There are a few options as far as the hubs go. The 20mm hubs are only made by RazorRock (who don't exist anymore), so when the hubs die, there isn't that much you can do to rescue them. They also need specific tools to open them up, which are rarer than hen's teeth. Luckily, they're the loudest hubs I have ever heard, so it clears a path for you when you plow down the hill. I was looking for a spare hub when I had mine, and I know in 05 that there was a hub in a shop in Brisbane, but I cannot remember which one.

Luckily, from 03 onwards, they came with a 15mm axle and a Hadley hub, and from Memory the axles are still available from Yeti. The Hadley hub is just a regular 135mm hub, but with bigger axle and caps that are available from Dirtworks. I ended up sourcing this setup for mine.

You could also have someone like Grip make you an axle (I'm sure he'd whip one up for you if you rubbed him up the right way), with steps on either end to let you run a regular 12x135mm hub. It's probably the best option if you want to keep the bike for a while, because you can use any 12x135mm hub.

McSweeney

Likes Dirt
There are a few options as far as the hubs go. The 20mm hubs are only made by RazorRock (who don't exist anymore), so when the hubs die, there isn't that much you can do to rescue them. They also need specific tools to open them up, which are rarer than hen's teeth. Luckily, they're the loudest hubs I have ever heard, so it clears a path for you when you plow down the hill. I was looking for a spare hub when I had mine, and I know in 05 that there was a hub in a shop in Brisbane, but I cannot remember which one.

Luckily, from 03 onwards, they came with a 15mm axle and a Hadley hub, and from Memory the axles are still available from Yeti. The Hadley hub is just a regular 135mm hub, but with bigger axle and caps that are available from Dirtworks. I ended up sourcing this setup for mine.

You could also have someone like Grip make you an axle (I'm sure he'd whip one up for you if you rubbed him up the right way), with steps on either end to let you run a regular 12x135mm hub. It's probably the best option if you want to keep the bike for a while, because you can use any 12x135mm hub.
Ahh alright thanks,
Its an 04 so does that mean its 15mm?

Tim

Likes Dirt
the year they added the razor rock rear ends to them they also still had a 12 mm rear available also... i had both when i had my first yeti DH9 there was still problems with the 12mm because it was a weird spacing for the floating break to fit in... so i got an aireal hub customed up for me... it was pretty easy to have done... i may even still have a 12mm kit floating round... because i remember having a spare at 1 point... so i should still have it somewhere.... but ultimately you may have quite few issues... i would email yeti... they should be able to help also and let you know what spares they have... There a great bike.... but your Dad's right.... it could be a problem...

Tim

McSweeney

Likes Dirt
the year they added the razor rock rear ends to them they also still had a 12 mm rear available also... i had both when i had my first yeti DH9 there was still problems with the 12mm because it was a weird spacing for the floating break to fit in... so i got an aireal hub customed up for me... it was pretty easy to have done... i may even still have a 12mm kit floating round... because i remember having a spare at 1 point... so i should still have it somewhere.... but ultimately you may have quite few issues... i would email yeti... they should be able to help also and let you know what spares they have... There a great bike.... but your Dad's right.... it could be a problem...

Tim
MMM i will email yeti, thanks for the help.
So they do ride well i take it?

Tomas

my mum says im cool
There are a few options as far as the hubs go. The 20mm hubs are only made by RazorRock (who don't exist anymore), so when the hubs die, there isn't that much you can do to rescue them. They also need specific tools to open them up, which are rarer than hen's teeth. Luckily, they're the loudest hubs I have ever heard, so it clears a path for you when you plow down the hill..
God thoes RR hubs were SEXUAL. Dreams and happiness are secretly made of the noise omitted by RR hubs.

Jimass

Eats Squid
I dont see why It wouldn't
He's thinking that the cassette wouldn't fit over the 20millimeter axle, but I think that it'd need a thinner free hub ( the bit the cassette slides onto) - bigger I.D standard O.D.

EDIT: Two minutes to late!

velolove

Likes Dirt
Is there an echo in here?

I dunno you tell me.....

Making a 20mm hub not fit a standard cassette would be very very silly

McSweeney

Likes Dirt
Thanks for all the help guys, wtf @ that kid, you just copy pasted what the guy said before... Good Work!

Hopefully the hubs are as loud as everyone says!