Yeti rail lube

Calvin M

Likes Dirt
Now the owner of a 303RDH and love it but what lube do you run on your rail. Have been told a couple of different ones but interested to see what works for most Yeti riders.

Indestructible

Likes Dirt
I run some kind of teflon bike specific grease. Works really well. I go through a fair bit tho. So I wouldnt mind a cheaper option.

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I’ve heard the Yeti team use a half teflon half Shimano special grease.
Someone like Gravey may want to confirm this..

aline0807

Likes Bikes
I lube my rail with the good ol' KY jelly.... ;)

On a more serious note, I suggest something teflon based, even a dry chain lube perhaps?

jamie

Likes Dirt
Answer SKF LGLT 2/0.2
This is a Norwegian product formulated for linear rail systems “low temp, small rolling bearings, high speed, low friction” available through SKF bearings for approx $55. 180g. Expensive but the best for the job, riding every weekend you will get 2 years from a tube

There is a product called “white lithium grease” from CRC. It’s great product, but I don’t feel its purpose is for the yeti rail system, the lithium is only a additive to the base oil product, the CRC product contains “advanced additive package” the “package” thins the grease and I feel is not up to the job.

Cross section of what we are playing with http://www.chieftek.com/product-arhr.asp
Lithium grease http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium-based_grease
White lithium grease by CRC http://www.crcind.com.au/catalogue.nsf/web_brands/White+Lithium+Grease?openDocument
P.s. Lithium-soap grease handles extremes of temperature quite well, which makes them highly suitable for both high and low temperature application. They have a dropping point of approximately 350ºF, and can be used in continuous temperatures of 300ºF. One reason for their successful low-temperature performance is that they are made with oil having a low pour point. In fact, lithium-soap greases have been used successfully at temperatures of -60ºF. Use of a lithium-soap grease at higher temperatures requires a different formula, however, the same grease can't be used at both extremes of high and low temperatures because the change would be in the viscosity of the oil used in the grease.

Basically, lithium-soap greases have very good stability; good water resistance, and are also readily
pumpable. They have a buttery texture and a brownish-red color.

Either way, take 30 sec after a big or wet ride, lubed it and it will last a lifetime!!!

Calvin M

Likes Dirt
Thanks for that Jamie all great info. Good to see inside the rail.
Went to SKF but they didnt have stock so they sent me to a Fuchs agent who was able to give me a match to the SKF. $10 for 450Grams

jamie

Likes Dirt
Thanks for that Jamie all great info. Good to see inside the rail.
Went to SKF but they didnt have stock so they sent me to a Fuchs agent who was able to give me a match to the SKF. $10 for 450Grams
nice let me know the fuchs product number etc, sounds good and alot better priced, ill check it out. thanks

nzblakis

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sorry to dig up an oldish thread but i was just wondering what other yeti riders use an applicator for the rail grease?
I was given a cheap-ass plastic syringe from the LBS when i bought the bike that doesn't really do the job...

ill try out a few methods obviously but would like to hear what people use, if you don't mind of course..

Thanks,
Blake.

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I use castrol LMM grease, $10 for a 10 year supply from supercheap auto

jamie

Likes Dirt
Sorry to dig up an oldish thread but i was just wondering what other yeti riders use an applicator for the rail grease?
I was given a cheap-ass plastic syringe from the LBS when i bought the bike that doesn't really do the job...

ill try out a few methods obviously but would like to hear what people use, if you don't mind of course..

Thanks,
Blake.
yep still using the cheap ass plastic syringe about 0.8 to 1ml per serve