You laugh you lose

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
It was originally adapted from walking trails in Europe, everything should be directional on high use trails these days to avoid conflict.
Yep, it's derived from dual directional trails which are usually old hiking tracks. All new trails really should be constructed single direction but there's quite a few that are still made dual direction for various reasons. There's several in Tassie.
I always thought it was about how hard it is to get going again when you're pointing up rather than down.
Correct, that is the original reason why the descender gives way, but it is much easier for the climber to stop and step aside and hear the person descending coming than it is for the descender to pull up or to hear and see the climber in time to pull up.

cammas

Seamstress
Yep, it's derived from dual directional trails which are usually old hiking tracks. All new trails really should be constructed single direction but there's quite a few that are still made dual direction for various reasons. There's several in Tassie.

Correct, that is the original reason why the descender gives way, but it is much easier for the climber to stop and step aside and hear the person descending coming than it is for the descender to pull up or to hear and see the climber in time to pull up.
You obviously never heard me huffing and puffing trying to get up a hill :p

PJO

in me vL comy
I guess I'm the only one that gets frustrated by gags like this. FFS it's an example not a description.
Maybe, but it wouldn't be funny if there wasn't a ring of truth to it.
I'm sure that a fair number of us have encountered this workplace sociology.