You laugh you lose

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I’ll absolutely take advice from that fine specimen of a human male.

Also, .49c is a bargain, they’re sometimes as dear as 49c or $0.49. He’s also smart.

And the baby ones from Brussels...fuck me! Have they become a luxury food item suddenly?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Yes, because they aren't in season yet.
Nah they've been stupid expensive since early days of covid 2020 part 1. Broccoli and cauliflower also surged.

Garlic and ginger too...

Cant tell if we need more indentured workers or increased global trade to solve the issue.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
PP , you just listed 4 ( for , Fore , Four ) of my favourite things to eat.

Esp combined !
Hopefully you aren't talking about then indentured workers!

They are all essential ingredients for life. At the time I was confused as to whether everyone in Australia suddenly discovered flavour, health, or all the frozen prepared shit they normally eat was sold out. I guess we will never really know.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Nah they've been stupid expensive since early days of covid 2020 part 1. Broccoli and cauliflower also surged.

Garlic and ginger too...

Cant tell if we need more indentured workers or increased global trade to solve the issue.
not enough immigrants with no visa to pick veggies and herbs for fuck-all money, exploited by evil khunts running labour hire companies.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
not enough immigrants with no visa to pick veggies and herbs for fuck-all money, exploited by evil khunts running labour hire companies.
Please...we are more civilized than that. We give visitors wishing to work visas that force them to undertake some form is exploitative slave labour in isolated primary industries. We also turn a blind eye when they are harassed or worse in that environment. Fortunately it keeps our veggies cheap and plentiful though!

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Please...we are more civilized than that. We give visitors wishing to work visas that force them to undertake some form is exploitative slave labour in isolated primary industries. We also turn a blind eye when they are harassed or worse in that environment. Fortunately it keeps our veggies cheap and plentiful though!
But @pink poodle think of the poor farmers! How will they send their kids to $50k/year private boarding schools if they are forced to actually pay proper wages for labor :eek:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
But @pink poodle think of the poor farmers! How will they send their kids to $50k/year private boarding schools if they are forced to actually pay proper wages for labor :eek:
Fair wages don't always give us a fair outcome...

So much big farmer now...so we don't need to always accept the myth of the hard working man on the land as the victim.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Not a myth, just not as prevalent as it used to be.
Saying that as someone coming from 6th generation farmers, who were forced to constantly diversify to remain viable.
Absolutely @moorey there are many farmers who do it tough and work hard. There are also many who take a lot of tax concession and subsidies and cry poor when there are millions in tax free trusts and accounts that they don't want to touch because then they would have to pay the tax man. Not hating on all farmers just ran in to many through work over the years who make Barnaby Joyce and Angus Taylor look like saints.

moorey

call me Mia
Absolutely @moorey there are many farmers who do it tough and work hard. There are also many who take a lot of tax concession and subsidies and cry poor when there are millions in tax free trusts and accounts that they don't want to touch because then they would have to pay the tax man. Not hating on all farmers just ran in to many through work over the years who make Barnaby Joyce and Angus Taylor look like saints.
There are some subsidies for some crops, and yeah, it sucks, particularly when there are others through no fault of their own going broke working 7 days a week.
It’s a imperfect system. The US is even worse.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
There are some subsidies for some crops, and yeah, it sucks, particularly when there are others through no fault of their own going broke working 7 days a week.
It’s a imperfect system. The US is even worse.
The subsidies really kick in for the big players, smaller farmers don't have the financial leverage to use them as effectively. US is on another level completely agree there.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Not a myth, just not as prevalent as it used to be.
Saying that as someone coming from 6th generation farmers, who were forced to constantly diversify to remain viable.
A lot of business owners struggle and have to juggle things to make ends meet. Farmers seem hold a special place in our hearts perpetuated by the myth (perhaps a different word would have been a better choice? Romanticism, cliche, characterisation, portrayal, national history?) I'm not saying the struggle doesn't exist (I've seen plenty of it growing up in a farm town), just that there is less sole farmer out on the land battling everything until his kids start eating juicy corn on the roof and his heart is filled with warm from the coming of the rains and more of the large farming corporations leveraging that image for their profits...and enjoying a bit of exploitation along the way. Maybe it is our long history of relying on primary production for national prosperity, riding the sheep's back and all that. Either way we do need food and that does tend to be grown...at farms.

In relation to subsidies and similar, there is also a lot of loss leverage back against other incomes to be had as well as equity leverage and GST/duel credits etc. It's not always a simple hand out that transpires.

It's been a long time since I last read grapes of wrath.

clockworked

Like an orange
Yeah its bullshit. Farmers are small business owners and should cop changes in the market the same way as every other small business owner. No one is crying out for the video ezy, vcr repair, or shopping centre curiousity stores every time they go under.
Shit, we owned part of a pharmacy and bought just before the government changed a number of rules that influence the profitability. Suddenly our 600k investment was worth 200k. Didn't get a pinch of shit from the governement then