You Yangs this weekend

tektek

Likes Dirt
Hi All,

Since I have been able to successfully come down track 14 and 6, I have been itching to go out and try track 9 and 13 this weekend. How does You Yangs cope with the rain (currently at 13mm has fallen).

I do not want to drive out there (over an hour) to face a mudfest and damage the trails.

Alternatively if someone could report tomorrow if they heading out, that would be fantastic.

Thomas11

Likes Dirt
The You-Yangs are Sand over Granite. It drains extremely well and quickly.
So like Moorey said unless it pisses down while your there, the bit of rain we have had wont matter.
Might be a few puddles here and there on the access and firetrails especially in the Plantation area.
But for your area on the Downhill tracks, it will be fine.

Mrlinderman

Likes Dirt
tektek i will be there at 9am, pm me your mobile number and I will text you the latest then

but as above its fine, in fact its better after rain, less of the slippery sand to worry about.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Last shuttle day I went to it was pissing down the day before.
It was sluggish on some of the fire road, but the trails themselves were stupidly grippy and didn't really start drying up/becoming loose again until around 2pm.

It was excellent.

Sunday would be good to go, since there's still some rain to come tomorrow.

moorey

call me Mia
Last shuttle day I went to it was pissing down the day before.
It was sluggish on some of the fire road, but the trails themselves were stupidly grippy and didn't really start drying up/becoming loose again until around 2pm.

It was excellent.

Sunday would be good to go, since there's still some rain to come tomorrow.
Was indeed the best riding conditions I've experienced at the Youies.

tektek

Likes Dirt
Thanks guys for your replies.

Yes you were all correct, hardly any wet stops. maybe a patch of mud on track 2. The black runs were fun!

Managed to get down track 13 and 9 without any issues. Did have some issues climbing the rock, just after it crosses the fire track on track 9. Any tips...I guess speed?

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Thanks guys for your replies.

Yes you were all correct, hardly any wet stops. maybe a patch of mud on track 2. The black runs were fun!

Managed to get down track 13 and 9 without any issues. Did have some issues climbing the rock, just after it crosses the fire track on track 9. Any tips...I guess speed?
Take speed in and go high. Once you do it you'll realise it's not that hard after all.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
And stay high, unless you like replacing tyres, tubes, rims and teeth.
Heeyyyy come on I turned in too early and hit the rock step with no more than a small scratch on a bar end. :crutch:

But yeah, go at it straight and don't turn in until you're at the top, haha.
Bit of a jolt when you hit the rock, so be ready for it.

BA85

Squid
This might be a stupid question but are there water facilities at the you yangs where one can fill up a drink bottle and if so where might they be located?

tektek

Likes Dirt
Hi BA85,

I don't believe there are any drinking water drinking facilities, I have not seen any on the stockyard side. Maybe on the kurrajong side there might be?

Actually: yes kurrajong does have water:
http://www.youyangsmtbinc.com.au/trails.html

"The nearest toilets and water for the Stockyards are on the southern edge of the Park inside the main entrance off Branch Rd."

Last edited:

BA85

Squid
Thanks for that :) Might as well take a couple of gallons with me this weekend then. Gonna be a long day.