You Yangs track 9 and 14

lindz1817

Likes Dirt
Edit: also one more tip which has taken me from a XC rider to AM and was the best bit of advise I was ever given........ LOOK AHEAD... do not fixate on the obstacle, use your peripheral vision as much as you can, fixate on your exit to a corner, the next few meters or rock garden etc, if you draw your eyes down to your front wheel you not only get over sensitive on the controls you also loose vision of your path of travel and bring your weight forward.

Jack
This is a great thing to remember. It feels intuitive, but everyone always forgets to do it from time to time, particularly on something they're a bit worried about. I often find when I'm riding poorly and not sure why, it's because I'm not looking down the trail properly.

I'm also not too sure about the "weight back" advise. I find I need to weight the front end a bit to keep it planted in rock gardens, then you've got more room to move around the bike. If you go straight back and it steepens or you go off a drop, you can really counter the change in gradient because you're already back and have no where to go. I find trying to get my weight low to the centre of the bike and just moving to keep my weight in the centre while the pitch of the bike changes works well.

slowmick

38-39"
This is a great thing to remember. It feels intuitive, but everyone always forgets to do it from time to time, particularly on something they're a bit worried about. I often find when I'm riding poorly and not sure why, it's because I'm not looking down the trail properly.

I'm also not too sure about the "weight back" advise. I find I need to weight the front end a bit to keep it planted in rock gardens, then you've got more room to move around the bike. If you go straight back and it steepens or you go off a drop, you can really counter the change in gradient because you're already back and have no where to go. I find trying to get my weight low to the centre of the bike and just moving to keep my weight in the centre while the pitch of the bike changes works well.

keeping your weight centred was the advise i got at the coaching clinic out at the you yangs. I had/have a tendency to straighten my arms and push my weight backwards when things are getting a little sketchy to get away from the impending doom (commitment issues). this generally make things worse as it unweights the front wheel and a wash out or an over the bars normally follows. trying to keep your body low with your legs and elbows bent and your chin pretty much inline with the stem will keep your weight centred. for me it felt like i was leading with my chin while i got used to it. a full face can help you feel a little more comfortable while you get used to this position.

watch people do the sections that intimidate you and then session them. aim for at least a brisk walking pace through the whole track. if you are going slower than this you will get hooked up on something and crash. good luck with it all.

tektek

Likes Dirt
Hi All,

I attempted tracks 9 and 14 and had partial success. I started on 9 and managed to ride the start, however walked some of the rock gardens after that. I then made my way to 14 and took my time going over some sections until I was comfortable. I went back to the top and did 14 without stopping – Stoked!

What worked:
1. Speed
2. Laid off the front brakes
3. Kept my weight low and slightly on the rear
4. Dropped my saddle

All these suggestion came from this thread – so thank you so much.

If I attempted 9 again, I am sure I could ride most of it now.

P.S. I didn’t buy any “monkey gear”, never really liked getting sweaty on knees, elbow.

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
welcome to the club. well done. you know 14 is climbable as well :).
I have heard that but I am yet to see it. Love to see a vid.

My mates and I sessioned all the climbs and much blood later had managed to have at least one of us get up all of them except the last rock garden (ie the first one descending). That one left us quite dumbfounded.

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
Hi All,

I attempted tracks 9 and 14 and had partial success. I started on 9 and managed to ride the start, however walked some of the rock gardens after that. I then made my way to 14 and took my time going over some sections until I was comfortable. I went back to the top and did 14 without stopping – Stoked!

What worked:
1. Speed
2. Laid off the front brakes
3. Kept my weight low and slightly on the rear
4. Dropped my saddle

All these suggestion came from this thread – so thank you so much.

If I attempted 9 again, I am sure I could ride most of it now.

P.S. I didn’t buy any “monkey gear”, never really liked getting sweaty on knees, elbow.
Nice work!

I find that once you overcome an obstacle, you have to nail it a couple more times the same day for the lesson to sink in. I know that for me, if I finally overcome an obstacle, I have to follow it up. Otherwise the next time I am out riding it I have "maybe last time was a fluke" in the back of my head and it's almost like back to square one. Haha.

Could just be me though.

moorey

call me Mia
I have heard that but I am yet to see it. Love to see a vid.

My mates and I sessioned all the climbs and much blood later had managed to have at least one of us get up all of them except the last rock garden (ie the first one descending). That one left us quite dumbfounded.
Have seen one mate do the whole thing, I've always failed on that last bit :pout: