You Yangs trails now closed! 04/02/2011

sossy

Saucier
Just received a message from the Ranger in charge at the You Yangs.

78mm of rain has fallen at the You Yangs today, as a result, all trails are now closed!

If you had plans to ride the You Yangs this weekend, a change of plans is in order.

Working bee is still on Sun 6th (this sunday).

Thanks.

Last edited:

fergo

Likes Dirt
After the trail working bee day today, what is the expected re-opening of kurrajong section? We were planning on riding wednesday night for the Crazy 6 practice.

trav

Likes Dirt
After the trail working bee day today, what is the expected re-opening of kurrajong section? We were planning on riding wednesday night for the Crazy 6 practice.
No working bee today just to wet,you wont be riding wednesday knight as the trail net work will be still closed.Kurrajong took another beating not looking good for the event.

Lard

Likes Dirt
Do you think the crazy6 will be postponed or cancelled? or will it just have a lot of diversions to firetrail?

mmatrix

Likes Dirt
contingency plan.

Do you think the crazy6 will be postponed or cancelled? or will it just have a lot of diversions to firetrail?

Gmbc and parks have a contingency plan in place. if some of the single track is not usable there are other options . At this stage the race is going ahead.

Last edited:

trav

Likes Dirt
I think you may be on the money with the fire trail.There is already a lot of work to be done in Kurrajong with out creating more.Im sure no one wants to see further damage to the trail network.

sossy

Saucier
Having met with the ranger yesterday, we ave a proposed course in place, this will be re-evaluated Thursday afternoon, then marked Friday.

Friday night no frills will be raced over the proposed course, another review will occur after that to see how sections held up, then if needed, further changes will be made.

At this stage, we still have approx 60% single track, however this is very subject to change, and if changes need to be made during the race, then they will be.

We will only use a course that is 100% approved by Parks Victoria.

I was out there yesterday and had a look around with the ranger, there is some extensive damage to sections, there is no doubt about that, however, rest assured that these areas will be avoided.

The saddest part of yesterdays visit was seeing fresh tyres tracks through sections where the single track was unrecognisable, people are still riding out there, regardless of the park being closed... ridiculous!

Propagate

Likes Dirt
Anyone know the latest info on the You Yangs?

Last rumour I remember was it was supposed to be opening, (or partly), over Easter weekend.

Just checked the Parks website and looks like it's still completely closed?

Any info anyone?

Cheers.

Joel_32

Likes Dirt
Anyone know the latest info on the You Yangs?

Last rumour I remember was it was supposed to be opening, (or partly), over Easter weekend.

Just checked the Parks website and looks like it's still completely closed?

Any info anyone?

Cheers.
Think there is a few threads floating around for this, but last news from the Ranger indicated it would be closed till early July, his release could be seen here:
http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?219172-You-Yangs-Regional-Park-Mountain-Bike-Trail-Closures/page17&highlight=yangs

serowe

Likes Dirt
At the risk of upsetting a few people again - and, no - not suggesitng anyone here is giving the wrong informaiton - but go to the 'official' Park Vic page for the park, then there is absolutely no confusion

http://www.parkweb.vic.gov.au/1park_display.cfm?park=208

Progress update

Mountain bike trails (80% complete)
Walking tracks (70% complete excluding Flinders Peak)
Car parks (80% complete)
Asbestos removal and road works still underway
MTB track update
More than 80 tonnes of gravel, 15 tonnes of rock, 100 metres of boardwalk and 200 hours of work have gone into rehabilitating the Junction Track. Track 14 was severely damaged by three separate storm events. The trail was extremely boggy after holding water and blew out in some places. Sections of the board walk needed replacement. Once complete, an exceptional trail flow with new lines and features will offer riders an improved riding experience.

Propagate

Likes Dirt
At the risk of upsetting a few people again - and, no - not suggesitng anyone here is giving the wrong informaiton - but go to the 'official' Park Vic page for the park, then there is absolutely no confusion

http://www.parkweb.vic.gov.au/1park_display.cfm?park=208
Yeah, as I said in my post, that's where I had gone and found it all closed still.

I was just wondering, seeing as there are likely trail builders/crew that work on the You Yangs whilst it's closed that post on here, if there were any rumors on when it may open again, as the last I'd heard it was supposed to be opening partly over Easter. That obviously didn't happen, so curious as to why it didn't & when it might if there are any 'insiders' on here.

Cheers.

Propagate

Likes Dirt
As I said, not disputing who the 'Park Ranger' is, but anyone can register with a name on a forum - doesn't mean that is who they are though :)
I didn't get the info from 'The Park Ranger', I got it from the Park Vic website, same place as in your link, as I said in my post.

I have not, and would not, ride the trials unless they are shown as 'open' on the Parks page. The exception to this is if Lysterfield trails are posted as 'open' on the LDTR forum by an LDTR member that I have previously met, and know work with the rangers from seeing the relationship they have with said rangers at build days.

All I was asking in my post was if anyone knew the why's and wherefores of the delay in You Yangs opening, and any possible idea of a future opening date is all...just curious more than anything.

trav

Likes Dirt
I didn't get the info from 'The Park Ranger', I got it from the Park Vic website, same place as in your link, as I said in my post.

I have not, and would not, ride the trials unless they are shown as 'open' on the Parks page. The exception to this is if Lysterfield trails are posted as 'open' on the LDTR forum by an LDTR member that I have previously met, and know work with the rangers from seeing the relationship they have with said rangers at build days.

All I was asking in my post was if anyone knew the why's and wherefores of the delay in You Yangs opening, and any possible idea of a future opening date is all...just curious more than anything.
Park may start opening mid June,but not all trails will be open.

quiggs

Likes Dirt
Once all the parks open again, we may need to implement a ballot system (or the like), so as to not have us all out there at the same time, rippping them apart, undoing all the good work Parks & the volunteers have done over the last year! :)

Knut

Troll hunter
Take it easy. It is not the only place to ride a mountain bike in Victoria. I can't see a floodgate arriving and having a negative outcome. As a rule, the majority of riders that attend the park are well behaved and have a more senior approach to their impact. Lets not get too wound up yet before they are re opened. Until then, good luck to those in the process of rebuilding a future for the Youees.

serowe

Likes Dirt
Any idea of number of riders at the YY compared to Lysterfield? Would think it is a lot less therefore not as much damage by 'casuals'?