You Yangs Working Bee (Vic)

Shorerider

Likes Dirt
Just a note to let everyone know, there will be a working bee on at the You Yangs on the 24th & 25th of March (Next Sat&Sun). Work will be on the new Downhill track. Bring a shovel if you can.

Work will start at 7am. If you can't make it that early, just find out where the work is being done once you get there.

Lunch and drinks will be provided for those who help out. If enough work is done over the weekend, there is a possibility the track may get finished.

So if you can make it, come down and lend a hand.

Cheers, Shorerider.

Last edited:

ozzy osbourne

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think you can count me and my friends in if we can hitch a ride up
Hopefully it gets done it will be sweet

And what time to meet at the bottem of existing Dh track.

$h0rty

Likes Dirt
I should be there, if I'm fit to drive that early on a sunday morning...
Also, I *might* have a spare seat or two if any Geelongites need a lift...

Shorerider

Likes Dirt
You Yangs working bee

That would be great!!

There will be a Bobcat there, so the more people we get, the more use we can make of the Bobcat.

Thanks for the response so far, and I hope to see you all there.

Cheers, Shorerider.

JRSONE

Likes Bikes
AAAH! do you guy's even care that i have to go away this weekend!

it's oceania's!!!

would be there if i could. i owe some hard yakka to the youies.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
I'll be there. May even bring the wife along to help out again. This time I'm gunna buy some decent tools.

Last edited:

Shorerider

Likes Dirt
You Yangs working bee

This time I'm gunna buy some decent tools.
Yeah, Those $10 shovels didn't last too long did they.

The more help we get, the more work we get done. Which means the sooner we ALL can ride the track.

Should be a good turnout by the looks of it.

Cheers, Shorerider.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Yeah, Those $10 shovels didn't last too long did they.

The more help we get, the more work we get done. Which means the sooner we ALL can ride the track.

Should be a good turnout by the looks of it.

Cheers, Shorerider.

lmao! Nope. JUst realised that it's going to be the Airshow weekend. Traffic!!!!!!!!!:mad: Will still try and make it though.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
Hows the progress?

I walked the track on Monday and I must say, its looks absolutely amazing. Worlds apart from the existing track. Once people see this track they will appreciate the effort gone into it.

I'd love to come and help you guys out but my work schedule isn't favouring the idea one bit.

But please keep this thread updated (or even chuck me a pm if you remember) as to the times and dates of working bees and ill do my dandest to come out.

Shorerider

Likes Dirt
New DH Track-You Yangs.

The track is almost there. All of the major work has been done, though most of the berms and built up dirt needs to harden up. WE NEED RAIN!!!!

Although the track may look finished, if it gets ridden, all the built up dirt will just get pushed away to the sides! This means all of the manicured "Dirt" berms and jumps will end up as flat piles of dirt, and all our hard work would be wasted!

So people will need to be patient. The track will be opened as soon as things harden up.

There may not be any working bee's for a while. With all the work that has been happening over the last few months, I think there will be a bit of a break until the next major project.

I will post all "Major" Working Bees here, though work on tracks on a smaller scale happens more often. It's kinda unpredictable as to know when someone will be out there tweaking the tracks. If you ride out there just keep an eye out for anyone doing "Authorised" work and just go up and ask if they need a hand.

P.S: Seen Track 13 lately? (First on your right from the Stockyards car park) We had the Bobcat out there a few weeks ago for the New DH track, and had some fun. Well worth a look. Trust me.

Cheers, Shorerider.

ajay

The track is almost there. All of the major work has been done, though most of the berms and built up dirt needs to harden up. WE NEED RAIN!!!!

Although the track may look finished, if it gets ridden, all the built up dirt will just get pushed away to the sides! This means all of the manicured "Dirt" berms and jumps will end up as flat piles of dirt, and all our hard work would be wasted!

So people will need to be patient. The track will be opened as soon as things harden up.

There may not be any working bee's for a while. With all the work that has been happening over the last few months, I think there will be a bit of a break until the next major project.

I will post all "Major" Working Bees here, though work on tracks on a smaller scale happens more often. It's kinda unpredictable as to know when someone will be out there tweaking the tracks. If you ride out there just keep an eye out for anyone doing "Authorised" work and just go up and ask if they need a hand.

P.S: Seen Track 13 lately? (First on your right from the Stockyards car park) We had the Bobcat out there a few weeks ago for the New DH track, and had some fun. Well worth a look. Trust me.

Cheers, Shorerider.
Yeah i'd like to think that no-one would ride it, considering its covered with big branches and debris.

I did see the handy work you did with the bob cat, definately makes the ride from the car park to the dams more interesting! Nice one!

Ill keep an eye out for you guys when im up there next,

Cheers.

ozzy osbourne

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Cheers, Shorerider.
Is there any way you could get like grey water or salt water in. I dont know much about what salt water does to berms and stuff or if you are aloud because of vegetation. This would solve all your problems.

Shorerider

Likes Dirt
New DH Track-You Yangs.

Is there any way you could get like grey water or salt water in. I dont know much about what salt water does to berms and stuff or if you are aloud because of vegetation. This would solve all your problems.
Well there has been talk of getting a tanker in to water down the berms etc...., but if/when it'll happen is unsure. Using Grey water or salt water is not a very good idea. It'll probably damage the surrounding area.

There are quite a few protected species of plants at the You Yangs. The new DH track was routed around patches of them.

I'll be there this Sunday riding. May even tweak a few sections of the new DH track.

Cheers, Shorerider.

Wisey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sounds good Shorerider, let's hope we get some rain so it can harden up. Seems track work this winter everywhere will be totally dependant on how much water falls from the sky...:rolleyes:

How long would you guess the track is, longer than the current race track? Any jumps or fast obsticles?

Am thinking of heading out next Wed for a ride and look around.

ajay

Sounds good Shorerider, let's hope we get some rain so it can harden up. Seems track work this winter everywhere will be totally dependant on how much water falls from the sky...:rolleyes:

How long would you guess the track is, longer than the current race track? Any jumps or fast obsticles?

Am thinking of heading out next Wed for a ride and look around.
The track seems a bit longer than the current track, it uses the gradient more efficiently and has many more turns. Heaps of jumps and what looks like plenty of fast (or potentially fast) obstacles etc. A fair few hairy rocks too!

Caaarn rain, bring it!

Shorerider

Likes Dirt
New DH Track-You Yangs.

As Ajay said, the New track twists and turns alot more than the existing track. Without actually measuring it, it does seem longer. It has plenty of jumps, berms, rockgardens etc. I'd go as far as saying probably more interesting than the existing track.

The current figures for water storage is 31%!!!!! We need rain, and lots of it. Lets hope we're in for a wet winter.

By all means go down and check it out, but please dont ride any of it as its all still fairly soft. Even a misplaced footstep on a berm will cause the dirt to move.

Cheers, Shorerider.

ozzy osbourne

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think they want the track to be over 3 minutes.
The rocks gardens are big and killer if you fall.
There is one section were there is about a 5-6 metre intence rockgarden the 3meters after that a 16ft jump i think is un makable but i guess i will find out.
Some of the jumps and stuff are sweet though there are no north shore drop stuff like the old one but it is all open so you can practice the proper track when ever your there.All in all a nice DH track and a lot of work into it.

P.S i dont really like the name "Bandages and Glory" what do you think?

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
I think they want the track to be over 3 minutes.
The rocks gardens are big and killer if you fall.
There is one section were there is about a 5-6 metre intence rockgarden the 3meters after that a 16ft jump i think is un makable but i guess i will find out.
Some of the jumps and stuff are sweet though there are no north shore drop stuff like the old one but it is all open so you can practice the proper track when ever your there.All in all a nice DH track and a lot of work into it.

P.S i dont really like the name "Bandages and Glory" what do you think?
I helped build that rock garden, and from the right angle it looks killer. I can see myself smashing my cranks and pedals on it. lol
As for the rest of the track, it seriously looks good. Well though out and obsticles chosen and built in and around the natural features on the hill.

Attachments

Last edited: