You Yangs Yowie 3rd oct. 4 weeks away

Lanky Love

Likes Dirt
I totally agree, however, the way i see it, it would only be possible to run it as 33km & 66km under 19 due to mtba guidelines, its in the rule book.

is it to late to add an under19 catagory? particullary in the 66km? i know myself and my friends would certinly enter if one was added however we are not racing because we would have to be in open.
The Otway has under 18s.

But that is a private race no affiliated with MTBA. Under 19s allows 19 and 18 year olds to compete though, which is within the MTBA guidelines.

Martin318is

Likes Bikes
Worht changing tyres?

Hi,
First things first - Yes, I am a roadie... sorry.... :rolleyes:

Anyway, I have a 2008 Trek 8000 that I have been riding this winter (with the intention of racing a bit this summer) and I have entered the You Yangs Yowie. - just the 33 as its my first event and I am an old fat b@st@rd.

Stock tyres are Bontrager XRs (2.20 and 2.25). I have been out to the youies a few times in last few weeks and they seem okay although I feel a bit sketchy in the flatter fast corners and not sure how much better things could be on the rock gardens etc. Given that I am planning to enjoy the race without worrying about time or position, would it make THAT much difference to upgrade the tyres to something else?

Tyres

For fun and only doing one lap why change tyres. Are they tubeless? certainly upgrade tyres and make them suitable for where ever you intend to do most of your riding. Maxxis Monorail or Crossmarks are generally considered a good starting upgrade.
Cos it is a multi lap event, if you were doing several laps then you could fine tune and realise where your existing tyres are not doing the job.
Speaking of laps how can this be a marathon? Marathons are not laps of a circut like this event is?

JorgenY22

Likes Dirt
I just registered for the 66km event; I'm quite looking forward to it! So say hi if you're passing someone on a relic orange Trek Y22 - I'll try to make it an easy one. :)

I went out there last Sunday and had this awesome ride:
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/13634283

The Garmin Connect upload is quite compressed, but anyway gives a general idea of my ride. I wonder how it'll translate to the actual Yowies race distance!

Would like to do another run this w/e, ideally before the GF but weather is a factor.

Speaking of laps how can this be a marathon? Marathons are not laps of a circut like this event is?
It's probably best we don't go there - It's been discussed to death by now.
Not Einstein here but I can't see this discussed, should I be reading your mind?
IT AIN"T A MARATHON! and GMBC should no better.
Guess its also the Asia Pacific Intenational Regional Marathon Enduro Cross Country Championships - oops forgot 24 hours - cos thats how long it will take me!!!

Lanky Love

Likes Dirt
Guess its also the Asia Pacific Intenational Regional Marathon Enduro Cross Country Championships - oops forgot 24 hours - cos thats how long it will take me!!!
Might want to improve your grammar and try to make sense.

While this doesn't meet the strict definition of a marathon, I don't imagine people will be nailing each corner by the 3rd lap of a 99km race. This formate still allows for the general characteristics of a marthon but makes it easier to run.

sidetrack

Likes Dirt
There are plenty of marathons that are a multiple lap format overseas. The marathon guide line relates to the time taken buy the winner.

Speaking of grammar and spelling (it is format not formate and what is a marthon?), if something does not meet the strict definition of a marathon then it is not a marathon. There are no degrees of marathon here.
It meets a distance characteristic of a marathon but so does a 24 / 6 / 12 hour and many enduros, again they are not marathons. An olympic marathon has a specific set of rules that define its characteristics. We all respect and accept this. If I enter a running marathon,as it may be promoted or advertised, I know what I will be getting myself into, my expectations are defined.

Clearly the MTBA and UCI definition of a marathon is ignored here.
The format here is a lap race - similar to an enduro so call it that or as we have no real standards to adhere to lets call it a long XC. Lets ignore safety standards, bike specs, damn I really want to ride my KTM 400.....
Its not specified in the entry rules that I can't so I'll see you there........its orange.

The marathon format does not limit itself to the time taken, read the UCI rules or MTBA rules.

Overseas races , multiple laps ..... not if they are under the auspices of the sports governing bodies.

Lanky Love

Likes Dirt
This is not a huge Marathon like the Otway or National Champs, this is a smaller race aimed at punters. The difference between a marathon run to MTBA/UCI standards and a lap based enduro is that in a marathon you do not become familiar with the track and it is open to a wider variety of tracks and bigger climbs. The format the Yowie is running more or less meets these characteristics. The way it will be raced is the same as any other marathon and since its not such a big deal, one small technicality doesn't really matter.

thematrix

Likes Dirt
help welcome.

Not Einstein here but I can't see this discussed, should I be reading your mind?
Hey mate why the agro?
We are a club of people who love mtb riding and like lots of mountain bike clubs through out Australia, rather than just riding , we put on events for other people to enjoy.

No one is getting paid here, we just work hard on our time off creating fun events, already GMBC have run 16 events this year so mtbers can have fun and ride challenging events.
Some of the people helping out don't even ride much, they are girl friends wives brother sisters and come along to help create a fun event.
We really value feed back and if you really have some great suggestions on how we can improve the race or the club, please join up the club and become a gmbc member, come to committee meetings and have your say, they are more than welcome.
As a committee or race crew member your suggestions and extra input would be welcome.
Further the 33km lap is using all the available tracks that we can at the you yang's, if you want the race to have longer laps maybe you could turn up and help build some more tracks so next year we have longer laps.
Or as a club member you could organize next years marathon event in a new area and go to vic roads, parks Vic, the council, mtba. Plan the track organize insurance, organize the crew to mark the coarse, speak to sponsors, advertise the race, etc etc etc.

Or if this years race laps are not long enough for you which means you are not choosing to ride the yowie then, could you please turn up and help out with marshalling, rego, track marking , timing , numbers, set up set down.
We would love the help.
Thanks heaps

Jesus.

Likes Bikes
Well said.

GMBC is a fantastic group of people who work hard so that others may enjoy.

Cant wait for the Yowie it will be fantastic!

:)