young teenager wanted a simple record

RangaRMX

Likes Dirt
This is how it sounded to Red Bull: a kid (yes you're still a kid although you believe otherwise) has called them up and without any prior knowledge of who he is or what he can do he's requested some sponsorship. Now I don't know what specifics you asked for, and they may not either, either way you're asking for money.

What have you to show them? Some petty jump/case which doesn't even look like 20 foot - I'd say no way it's 40 which it's claimed to be. Measure out the distance in bikes and at best it's 5 bikes or so from the lip of the take off to the start of the landing where you case it. I'm sure you could work it out as 40 feet from the start of the ramp to the end of the landing but that wouldn't be accurate as you're going for the longest jump - which would be air time - not the longest roll-jump-case in the world.

So you're basically asking them - without any proof at all that you can even do such a thing let alone live from attempting it - for some money: for filming; for building; for medial bills; promotion of said event so they can reap the rewards, and that's just the beginning.

I'm really sure you have no idea about the reality of this happening in the current or near future.

You've gone about it all wrong. You contacted the sponsor, who declined you, then you went onto the internet to bitch about the sponsor not offering you "support", then you made audacious claims about your willingness and ability to easily (you said it was simple) smash a record.

Step one would be to make the claims, then try some jumps, then back up the claims with some footage then make more claims. After you've proven yourself on, say, an 80 foot jump then maybe people will say 'well maybe he can do a 100+ foot jump and smash the record.' That way you might get some sponsor who's keen for you to either eat shit and die or break a record and put their branding on some world record or crash 'n smash vid.

downhillar

Likes Dirt
i actualy went through a similar deal as the OP a few years ago, even had the backing of some event organisers who were willing to set up a ramp for me during one of their shows. i was only looking to do 60-70ft though, nothing world-recordish.

needless to say i never went through with it. it's one thing to say you can do a 100ft jump, it's completely different thing to actualy hit a 100ft jump.

if that vid that was posted is anything to go by then you've got a lot of work ahead of you, but if you honestly want to do this then i'd say spend at least another year practicing on your mates moto ramps etc. start off real small and gradualy build your way up to a decent gap.
wear a full face and all the proper gear though.

CP

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Being a marketing manager in a motorcycle store, I get a lot of requests for sponsorship. I reject over 95% of them. Why? Because none of those 95% ever mention what's in it for me.

That's the key. Don't call a company and ask for sponsorship (money or equiv). Call them and tell them your story, what you're trying to achieve, and then most importantly of all, what they would gain by supporting you. It's business afterall.

If you're yet to get a name, then you have to do most of the work yourself. Tell them that you plan to not just make the jump, but that you plan to advertise your feat on forum a, b, c etc, are going to send a pre-event PR blurb to publications x, y and z, and alert other media etc etc. At the jump you expect a certain media turnout, that you will film it and post it wherever (specificy). You can easily get audience figures from each medium you select, so you can then quantify that approx xxx,000 people will be exposed to your stunt and thus Red Bull branding.

Feed them the figures. Don't make stuff up though. Don't say that Fox Sports will be there if they haven't committed. Also put forward a future plan. Eg "If I make this jump, then I plan to go on and do blah blah blah", ie so they can see longer-term value in supporting you.

I'm rambling a bit. Hope this helps.

RMS116

Likes Dirt
Smitty mate I know you'd do this thing that you've talked to me about for ages but you need to think this through with a bit more effort. As people have said its not something you can just go out and do. People work towards this stuff most of there lives they just dont go out and attempt something 3-4times bigger than they've ever done. Take a look at the fmx riders, maddo etc.
If you just go out and say your going to do something like this which is to be honnest, is way past anything you've ever done and your skill level, chances of this actually working and getting the record is like 1% at the moment. Thats why redbull said no because they dont want to be involved with a 16 year-old kid and certain death.
If you want to do this you need to get the bike first and get it dialled in for such efforts. Send the suspension away and get it setup for this kind of work as plush Dh setup will not work well.
Then you need a ramp similar to FMX ramps which cost as much as most bikes, that are made specifically for distance. Then you need a massive landing that will work well with the angle you'll be landing on so as to reduce the pressure on everything when you come down.
If your serious you'll do this and start at 40ft which is the biggest you've done to date and work up to 100ft atleast over a couple of years atleast.
If your serious about this mate you can set up a ramp at mine and get a landing built (your paying for dirt lol) and we'll work up to it. But you'll be signing some liability forms or something hahahahahah crazy basterd.

gerg

Likes Bikes
Smitty mate I know you'd do this thing that you've talked to me about for ages but you need to think this through with a bit more effort. As people have said its not something you can just go out and do. People work towards this stuff most of there lives they just dont go out and attempt something 3-4times bigger than they've ever done. Take a look at the fmx riders, maddo etc.
If you just go out and say your going to do something like this which is to be honnest, is way past anything you've ever done and your skill level, chances of this actually working and getting the record is like 1% at the moment. Thats why redbull said no because they dont want to be involved with a 16 year-old kid and certain death.
If you want to do this you need to get the bike first and get it dialled in for such efforts. Send the suspension away and get it setup for this kind of work as plush Dh setup will not work well.
Then you need a ramp similar to FMX ramps which cost as much as most bikes, that are made specifically for distance. Then you need a massive landing that will work well with the angle you'll be landing on so as to reduce the pressure on everything when you come down.
If your serious you'll do this and start at 40ft which is the biggest you've done to date and work up to 100ft atleast over a couple of years atleast.
If your serious about this mate you can set up a ramp at mine and get a landing built (your paying for dirt lol) and we'll work up to it. But you'll be signing some liability forms or something hahahahahah crazy basterd.
Is a liability form signed by a minor a legally binding document though?

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
I'd think that you'd want to get very comfortable jumping the discussed distance on a moto before even contemplating trying it on an MTB

tc2233

Likes Dirt
Excactly.

But if you want a simple full proof Jump

we will set up a kicker with 45deg' and a landing thats 30degrees drag the fucker out

and tow you the fuck in at 85Kph and hope for the best.
There is a moto jump that has been half finished (been sitting there for several years now) at school which I could finish off and sell to you. I will measure it at school tomorrow because im pretty sure it would be able to kick you way past 90 ft.
It would be a good jump to practice on until you are ready for the world record.
From what I remember the up ramp is 2.5 metres high and 4-5metres long. I could possibly make it bigger.

Just a few another idea. Maybe look for a deep river and try to jump that distance before attempting it.

smittyDH

Likes Bikes
im 16 guys i have a long time to build up to it i dont necessarily have to do it at 16 any help would be nice to build up to it

hazza6542

Eats Squid
All seriousness here, do it at the snow?
[video=youtube;ypLuYbN2-ZQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypLuYbN2-ZQ&feature=related[/video]
do that, but, better.

PSYCHO-T

Likes Dirt
im 16 guys i have a long time to build up to it i dont necessarily have to do it at 16 any help would be nice to build up to it
Quit while your ahead.

Your pink bike ruler must have been spot on judging your jump that was like 40foot

I don't know what is more annoying, your dumb mates yelling in your video or your complete lack of brains in general. You know one thing that always gets peoples attention, when you go out and do something without talking a bunch of bullshit on the internet or to anyone in general. Shut the hell up, go out and do your shit and blow people away and let your actions speak louder than your words.

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So you want help, which i interpret as you needing:

- Money / Support for a suitable Bike
- Jump Location and jump, where you can build up from the current 40? to the 150ft.
- Health insurance
- Income to quit school and train so you can take the record.

The only thing you have so far is:
You have seen the record, think it is easy, and want to break it.

On Funding:
When Richard Branson tried to fly around the world in a balloon he funded it himself, same with Steve Fossett. I'm pretty sure if I wanted to do that and stated on the internet "I want to break the solo balloon record" not many people/ companies would be forthcoming with the balloon, cash and support I would need. You need to find another way to fund this (I have no realistic ideas)

On Benefits after the record:
Breaking this record won't make you any money. If you want to make money, I suggest breaking another record (Motocross has alot more $$$ than Mountain Biking). I have never heard of the MTB jump work record holder, but Robbie Maddision is familiar to me.

Personally, i am not interested in someone jumping 150ft on a MTB. The 360 ft that Maddison has jumped is impressive. Myself, and the general public, are only interested in the biggest jumps, what they did it with doesn’t matter. Would you be interested in the first man to jump 9m in the long jump?

I don’t want to be a buzzkill, but if your dream is to break the record and then become rich and famous, you’re dreaming.

Grip

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah.
You know one thing that always gets peoples attention, when you go out and do something without talking a bunch of bullshit on the internet or to anyone in general. Shut the hell up, go out and do your shit and blow people away and let your actions speak louder than your words.
Too true!

As an example... Local school fete and some kids rocked up with ramps which they set up nice and close as per this pic.

TalGimpDemo5.jpg

The young bloke in the pic saw the ramps and shot home for his bike. He didn't mouth off... just wanted to have a ride. Which he did and even though he was a decent rider it didn't attract too much attention until he started opening up the gap.

Now you can see from this next pic that there really wasn't much room for run-up...

TalGimpDemo4.jpg

... but he managed this...

TalGimpDemo1.jpg

... which was pretty impressive (you do the math for the distance... there's 13 or 14 young blokes standing side by side between the jumps). Even more impressive when you consider it was a FULL rigid bike. I asked him afterwards if that was as big as he was prepared to go and he said... "On ramps you don't know and with all those people watching, yep. Going big is something you do in private so you don't look like a dick."

Attachments