Your favourite all mountain bike and why!

lost it

Likes Bikes
I would have to agree with others regarding the Giant Reign. I have ridden one for a weekend and just struggled. It was very stable on steep stuff, but was not at all playful to ride. If you like to throw your bike around and are more active on your bike I would count it out.
Have you thought about a new Commencal Meta V4? They're getting good reviews and wouldn't be too expensive to ship over.

KouraKoura

Likes Bikes
....it may be a little too slack and burly for my intended use. I imagine bikes with 65 degree head angles would be pigs on steep climbs...
On the Capra, the steep seat angle puts you right over the front wheel when climbing. You know how sometimes on a really steep climb, you have to move way forward on your saddle? This is built into the geometry of the Capra.

...160mm would be great for the downs though.
It's not so much about how long the travel is, its about how the linkage woks.

The early part of the leverage curve is supportive, mid stroke is supple and end part ramps up. overall it's such a fun, smooth, poppy bike to ride.

On my 29er I have to flick the CTD switch up some climbs, but I find I leave the gate open for the same climbs on the Capra.

Don't think that because a bike is slack and has a lot of travel, it must be a pig on the uphills!

On another note, the spitfire would be a good choice too.

swmtbr

Likes Dirt
On the Capra, the steep seat angle puts you right over the front wheel when climbing. You know how sometimes on a really steep climb, you have to move way forward on your saddle? This is built into the geometry of the Capra.

It's not so much about how long the travel is, its about how the linkage woks.

The early part of the leverage curve is supportive, mid stroke is supple and end part ramps up. overall it's such a fun, smooth, poppy bike to ride.

On my 29er I have to flick the CTD switch up some climbs, but I find I leave the gate open for the same climbs on the Capra.

Don't think that because a bike is slack and has a lot of travel, it must be a pig on the uphills!

On another note, the spitfire would be a good choice too.
Interesting. Is there a dealer for the Capra in Perth. Might be worth a test ride.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Interesting. Is there a dealer for the Capra in Perth. Might be worth a test ride.
YT sell direct, it's how their price is so fantastic. No Aus dealer, the guy they come through is in NZ. I've seen a YT Tues in the flesh recently and the quality is outstanding.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
YT sell direct, it's how their price is so fantastic. No Aus dealer, the guy they come through is in NZ. I've seen a YT Tues in the flesh recently and the quality is outstanding.
Until now. Apparently they've teed up a deal in Australia, so local warranty support too.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Can't find the article I read.........if I drank, I'd call it a drunken imagining......might just be fuckwittery :noidea:

swmtbr

Likes Dirt
So. On paper the Capra Al 1 looks awesome for the $4300 it costs. Check the spec list.....

The CAPRA AL 1 with its 1x11 drivetrain is certainly race ready. The suspension is easily adjustable and the components are tough enough to stand up to the rigors of hard riding. The CAPRA AL 1 is the all-around best and most affordable entry ticket to mountain biking.

Frame
CAPRA Aluminium 27,5"
Shock
RockShox Monarch Plus RC3
Fork
RockShox Pike RCT3
Travel f/r
160mm/165mm
Headset
ACROS AZX-203
Rear Derailleur
SRAM X1
Front Derailleur
n/a
Shifter
SRAM X1
Chain Guide
e*thirteen XCX+
Brakes
SRAM Guide R
Discs f/r
SRAM Centerline
Cranks
Race Face Turbine
Chainring
Race Face Single Ring

Boom King

So. On paper the Capra Al 1 looks awesome for the $4300 it costs. Check the spec list.....

The CAPRA AL 1 with its 1x11 drivetrain is certainly race ready. The suspension is easily adjustable and the components are tough enough to stand up to the rigors of hard riding. The CAPRA AL 1 is the all-around best and most affordable entry ticket to mountain biking.

Frame
CAPRA Aluminium 27,5"
Shock
RockShox Monarch Plus RC3
Fork
RockShox Pike RCT3
Travel f/r
160mm/165mm
Headset
ACROS AZX-203
Rear Derailleur
SRAM X1
Front Derailleur
n/a
Shifter
SRAM X1
Chain Guide
e*thirteen XCX+
Brakes
SRAM Guide R
Discs f/r
SRAM Centerline
Cranks
Race Face Turbine
Chainring
Race Face Single Ring
That price includes GST and all duties etc. They are extraordinary value.

swmtbr

Likes Dirt
So.... After viewing and quickly riding a YT Capra AL1 (thanks KouraKoura!) today I now have a number 1 pick. These look pretty hard to beat. Awesome looking bike. Pedals really well and fits like a glove. I can't imagine it being any less efficient than my trail bike but is so much more capable. The component list all top notch too. I still like the Spitfire but I may end up going with the Capra for sheer value. Only negative is the waiting time, November, and the lack of local warranty support at present.
Thoughts?

swmtbr

Likes Dirt
So.... After viewing and quickly riding a YT Capra AL1 (thanks KouraKoura!) today I now have a number 1 pick. These look pretty hard to beat. Awesome looking bike. Pedals really well and fits like a glove. I can't imagine it being any less efficient than my trail bike but is so much more capable. The component list all top notch too. I still like the Spitfire but I may end up going with the Capra for sheer value. Only negative is the waiting time, November, and the lack of local warranty support at present.
Thoughts?
Edit: and lack of bottle cage mounts. Saying that, I usually wear a pack. Not sure if this will be a problem for me.

Boom King

Thoughts?
I did hear somewhere that Defcon might be handling the local warranty side of things. Get in touch with YT to find out.

Is the Capra more like the Rune though, leaning toward the down, not that that's a bad thing?

Even though you can't argue with the value, I'd try and throw a leg over a Spitfire for comparison. Ben at Singletracks does some great deals and can provide fully built if that's what you want?

swmtbr

Likes Dirt
I did hear somewhere that Defcon might be handling the local warranty side of things. Get in touch with YT to find out.

Is the Capra more like the Rune though, leaning toward the down, not that that's a bad thing?

Even though you can't argue with the value, I'd try and throw a leg over a Spitfire for comparison. Ben at Singletracks does some great deals and can provide fully built if that's what you want?
Yeah the Capra is definitely more like the Rune but after riding it they way KouraKoura has set his up it feels more like a trail bike with exception to the obviously slacker head angle. It really does feel like a bike I could ride all day and do as much climbing as decending on. Would the extra travel be a disadvantage!?

Boom King

Yeah the Capra is definitely more like the Rune but after riding it they way KouraKoura has set his up it feels more like a trail bike with exception to the obviously slacker head angle. It really does feel like a bike I could ride all day and do as much climbing as decending on. Would the extra travel be a disadvantage!?
I'm sure the Capra is a great bike and certainly one I'd look at if buying new. All I'm saying though, is that if I were shelling out that much coin on a new bike, I would want to make sure it was the right choice.

There must be a few Spitfires in Perth and some nice owners that might let you have a ride? If nothing else, it will confirm your decision. Get in touch with Ben, he might be able to point you to a Spitty owner in Perth. You've got a few months before you need to pull the pin on the Capra anyway.

KouraKoura

Likes Bikes
Thoughts?
No worries swmtbr, happy to help. Keep in mind that once your order, you won't be expected to pay until 6 weeks before expected dispatch date. You could always cancel the order if circumstances change.