Your favourite ride

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
There are a few best trail, best ride threads but not all of us can hit the trails in Banff or Whykickamoocow or race in a 24 hour race or do the Simpson but still have a ride that was memorable. Maybe it was the first ride on a new bike or the time you rode beside your kid for 200m when the training wheels came off. Tell us what really gelled.

To kick off my boring ones:

On the Muru...

Took me ages to work out riding on soft beach sand. Tyre pressures, gearing, set up etc and the fact that you cannot stop pedalling. My most memorable ride after working all this out and getting my fitness to a decent level was a ride through Burrum Point Mellaleuca circuit from the camping ground to Walkers Point and back to the camp along the beach at high tide. A few carries along the way but riding sandy trails and then along the beach after was epic. Saw dolphins in the water heading back up the beach. Was really awesome and made buying the fatbike worthwhile. About 26km of soft going and a heap of fun.

On the Bronson...

Never been much of a downhill rider, lack of skills and too old for the consequences. We were camping at a friend's property out near Mr Superbus and the steamers. They have a spring at the top of their block which provides their water and have made a very basic trail to get there. Some 4wd track, some horse and cow trail and some just hacked into the bush. About 3 or 4 km all up but very steep. Too steep to ride up without wheelies or wheelspin in the places where the animals go. Took me about an hour to get to the top. Take in the vista and look out over the steamers on a sunny winter morning. Then steeled my self for the run down. Holy crap. It was so much faster than I through I could go. About 100m into the trail I was joined by two of the owner's horses who wanted to join in. Trying to keep away from them so I didn't crash or get knocked over and avoiding the hanging brush was tough. Got to a gully that I had ridden around way too fast to stop and take sensibly and I just jumped the gap without any forethought. Happily made the landing with the horses metres away. Kept going to the last section where I had to come to a stop and go through a gate which luckily kept the horses behind and then down the last bit of rutted 4wd track to the main camping area. I was absolutely shattered. What took me more than an hour to climb was over in less than 10 minutes. The horses were still at the gate wanting more but I was spent. All that adrenaline and fear meant no more riding for me. Too close to trees most of the time and way too close to crashing over the gully. I then realised why downhillers go faster and faster and faster. Was a great ride even if it was over too soon.

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
Without being too cliche, any ride I can get out is my favourite. The ability of riding to clear my head and reset me is unreal.

That said, riding down in Margaret River is always awesome. Great weather, solid lines, the ability to session. Just great fun.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Thredbo Valley Track, picturesque, well built, go fast or slow, mostly downhill for 20 odd kays. Go during the week outside school holidays. Dip in the river at the end. Stay at Crackenback resort and explore some more mint singletrack.

Next best is anywhere in Canberra. We have the most best trails closest to each other.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Thredbo Valley Track, picturesque, well built, go fast or slow, mostly downhill for 20 odd kays. Go during the week outside school holidays. Dip in the river at the end. Stay at Crackenback resort and explore some more mint singletrack.
I'm going to try and return to this thread with an attempt at some stories with pictures. But damn, yes the TVT is a fine ride.

Second half involves a puzzling amount of climbing and there were a lot of bitey flies to motivate you along. But I'm going to have another go at it soon on a lighter bike not fitted with a blown X2 next time.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Remarkables heli-biking with my old man when I was 14 or something on a shitty rented Giant AC (!) is still a core memory. First time I’d ever ridden anywhere with real mountains and got to ride to the top in a heli, blew my little mind. Hard to beat.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Got a few memorable rides and races, Flinders Ranges Outback Epic x 7, Simpson x 2, the Sand Fondo I did. Strava used to have a Grand Fondo every month to ride 130km, I though it would be good Simpson prep to do a Sand Fondo, so I rode up and down soft sand to the Murray Mouth for 8.5 hrs instead of doing a tarmac 40kph on the roadie catwalk :rolleyes:

Most memorable is definitely the 3 years we rode Derby as a family, new trails appeared each time, weather was great, our most favourite place to ride. 14-18 days each time in Derby alone, the rest of the month riding other places in Tassie.
Missus delivers us at Black Stump, ok what are we doing, half lids or full faces... Couple of quick AYG in the morning to warm up, beating my missus down to the shuttle point, AYG, Kingswall, Detonate, 23 stitches, Flickety... lets climb Black Dragon and do a Trouty, lets ride Atlas and do Trouty, lets climb Krushkas and do Trouty... 'dad I reckon its beer oclock'... done. Those days are irreplaceable, my boys now work, drive, gym, girls, beach, mates... reckon trip #6 might be a solo trip. Might be able to get them there 1 at a time but unlikely all 3 of us will get back together.

Last edited:

BKMad

Likes Dirt
I cant pick a favourite ride, but a particularly memorable one was when we did a family holiday in the south island of NZ. When visiting Dunedin, I hired a spec stumpjumper with all the bling and headed up signal hill to try out their downhill/enduro tracks. I thought I was a good rider who had ridden some pretty steep stuff (in Australia) - I was so so wrong. It was an eye opener for sure. Never before have I ridden tracks so steep and most of the features were far beyond my skill level. It was so steep I ended up hitting a few jumps and drops I never would have attempted simply because I couldn't actually slow down enough to avoid them. Had a great morning despite the near freezing temps and even managed to stay upright and not injure myself.

rstim

Likes Dirt
Got a few memorable rides and races, Flinders Ranges Outback Epic x 7, Simpson x 2, the Sand Fondo I did. Strava used to have a Grand Fondo every month to ride 130km, I though it would be good Simpson prep to do a Sand Fondo, so I rode up and down soft sand to the Murray Mouth for 8.5 hrs instead of doing a tarmac 40kph on the roadie catwalk :rolleyes:

Most memorable is definitely the 3 years we rode Derby as a family, new trails appeared each time, weather was great, our most favourite place to ride. 14-18 days each time in Derby alone, the rest of the month riding other places in Tassie.
Missus delivers us at Black Stump, ok what are we doing, half lids or full faces... Couple of quick AYG in the morning to warm up, beating my missus down to the shuttle point, AYG, Kingswall, Detonate, 23 stitches, Flickety... lets climb Black Dragon and do a Trouty, lets ride Atlas and do Trouty, lets climb Krushkas and do Trouty... 'dad I reckon its beer oclock'... done. Those days are irreplaceable, my boys now work, drive, gym, girls, beach, mates... reckon trip #6 might be a solo trip. Might be able to get them there 1 at a time but unlikely all 3 of us will get back together.
I'm lucky enough to call them my local trails if you're there solo hit me up I'll come for a pedal.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse

Next best is anywhere in Canberra. We have the most best trails closest to each other.
I gotta say, as much as I am enjoying some fucking great trails in my backyard here, I do remain very nostalgic for Canberra trials.

Moving there after 16 years in Melbourne where I’d lost the mountain bike habit, it was Stromlo and Kowen that got me going again.

I was so bummed when they harvested the back trails at Kowen, there was one run in particular right out the back that I adored - it was a perfect set of turns and then the perfect stupidly fast but not steep run that had this one little quirk half way along that when hit at warp speed gave that great combination of puckering and hilarity. Right on the edge of it all going horribly wrong every time :)

Haakon

After that I reckon it might be the Epic Trail at Mt Buller. It’s a solid day out, and has some wonderfully built sections. The last 10kms including the 7km berm fest is a joy.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I know myself to be a lazy sod who always likes to use gear to cover inadequacies, but all of my favourite rides were total suffer fests.

Did the Megavalanche Peru in 2009 with almost zero preparation, on a crappy Jamis Diablo hire bike, in what turned out to be a total mud fest. Was completely out of my depth but the whole experience was a bucket list item.

Doing the CORC 24 in 2011? I got the short straw for a second double lap that finished just after dawn. I had a MP3 played for company and just had this transcendental descent from the top of Stromlo just as the sun rose. Came across the finish line with tears of joy streaming across my face.

Touring across Taiwan in 2012 with my wife and did the highest paved pass in Asia at over 3000m. Took two 40km days of climbing with a 10% gradient to reach the pass. The first day took us up through tropical rain forest into alpine meadows and we stopped at a Japanese style honeymoon resort that served wood fired pizza. After crossing the pass and riding up and down for another 60km we rested for a couple of days in Taroko Gorge at a thermal spring resort.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Haakon

Love You Long Time was the trail name out at Kowen for my fellow Canberra trail devotees. Maybe not special to most, but I just got a particular giggle from it, and was very sad that day I made a special effort to get out to ride it one last time before the chainsaws and bulldozers moved in…

slowmick

38-39"
I think my favourite personal ride would be the first Melrose Fat tyre festival in 2005. It was my first experience in flying with my bike. I flew to Adelaide, hired an x-trail and a street directory and found my way to Melrose. Based on the advertising campaign bike SA put on i thought it was going to be massive but wound up being only a small group that was bolstered by the riders coming through town on the Outback Epic (Mawson Trail). The first night was pub dinner with the organisers as there was only a few punters. I "raced" MTB runs and did my first night ride with borrowed lights. Drove back to Adelaide via Fox Creek as I had been reading about it in AMB. By the end of the 4 day weekend it was clear that MTB was going to be a big part of my life and it was going to be expensive.

Last edited:

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
There are a few best trail, best ride threads but not all of us can hit the trails in ...(snip)... Whykickamoocow....
I think the correct Maori spelling is "Waikikamukau" ;) :p

Anyway, my two standouts are my very first MTB ride and my first 24-hour

The first one.....: I'd been a non-competitive, explorative roadie since my mid-teens, but during 2008 two of the guys I worked with at the time started getting me a bit bike-curious; one was a dedicated MTBer, the other had recently transitioned from road/triathlon, andthen after hearing about the Endurance (true origin of "enduro") racing which appealed to my slow but go for hours style, I started looking to the Dirty Side. Around the same time, some folks on another (now defunct) forum arranged a beginners' MTB ride at You Yangs. One of the aforementioned workmates had intended to loan me a bike & tag along to make sure I didn't fuck it up, but had to pike at short notice, but another member of that forum offered me the use of his old (even by 2008 standards) Giant ATX hardtail, with elastomer-sprung fork and noisy as all fuck cantilever brakes. Not exactly the finest example of a MTB, but I had an absolute blast that day, so different to what I'd been doing. The next day back at work I started investigating what I could get, and ended up a few days later with my first Anthem.....

Other favourite/most memorable ride is my first 24-hour.... Less than two weeks out from the event a HPV-racing friend asked if I could do it. Not "would you like to....?" but "can you......?" I'd never ridden a MTB at night, nor been to Forrest before, but after a brief though said, "fuck it, why not?" and agreed to do it. Turned out that it rained for about 22 of the 24 hours of the race, and even before knowing the weather for the weekend, event organisers had three different course loops which they'd shift between at certain times during the race to spread the load on the trails. When I got there on the Friday before the race they had the Day 1 Loop marked out, so I did a spin to get a bit of a feel for the place. Come race day, I ended up being the last of our three riders, and because all of us were endurance nuts pulling multi-hour stints. I didn't get out until about 7:30 in the evening, which then meant I got the changeover from Day 1 loop to Night Loop during my first stint. I'd never seen the trails on the Night loop before, yet there I was...... The preceding 15 or so months had been the worst time of my life arguing with black dogs & shit, and self esteem wasn't in a great place, but there I was riding on trails I'd never previousy ridden, in the dark, in pissing rain, on one hand thinking "what the fuck am I doing here?" while at the same time another part of my brain was pretty stoked to be pushing way outside my comfort zone to be riding there!

So on those grounds, the Kurrajong side of Youies and the Yaugher side of Forrest are my sentimental Happy Places. :D

Last edited:

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I think the correct Maori spelling is "Waikikamukau" ;) :p

Anyway, my two standouts are my very first MTB ride and my first 24-hour

The first one.....: I'd been a non-competitive, explorative roadie since my mid-teens, but during 2008 two of the guys I worked with at the time started getting me a bit bike-curious; one was a dedicated MTBer, the other had recently transitioned from road/triathlon, andthen after hearing about the Endurance (true origin of "enduro") racing which appealed to my slow but go for hours style, I started looking to the Dirty Side. Around the same time, some folks on another (now defunct) forum arranged a beginners' MTB ride at You Yangs. One of the aforementioned workmates had intended to loan me a bike & tag along to make sure I didn't fuck it up, but had to pike at short notice, but another member of that forum offered me the use of his old (even by 2008 standards) Giant ATX hardtail, with elastomer-sprung fork and noisy as all fuck cantilever brakes. Not exactly the finest example of a MTB, but I had an absolute blast that day, so different to what I'd been doing. The next day back at work I started investigating what I could get, and ended up a few days later with my first Anthem.....

Other favourite/most memorable ride is my first 24-hour.... Less than two weeks out from the event a HPV-racing friend asked if I could do it. Not "would you like to....?" but "can you......?" I'd never ridden a MTB at night, nor been to Forrest before, but after a brief though said, "fuck it, why not?" and agreed to do it. Turned out that it rained for about 22 of the 24 hours of the race, and even before knowing the weather for the weekend, event organisers had three different course loops which they'd shift between at certain times during the race to spread the load on the trails. When I got there on the Friday before the race they had the Day 1 Loop marked out, so I did a spin to get a bit of a feel for the place. Come race day, I ended up being the last of our three riders, and because all of us were endurance nuts pulling multi-hour stints. I didn't get out until about 7:30 in the evening, which then meant I got the changeover from Day 1 loop to Night Loop during my first stint. I'd never seen the trails on the Night loop before, yet there I was...... The preceding 15 or so months had been the worst time of my life arguing with black dogs & shit, and self esteem wasn't in a great place, but there I was riding on trails I'd never previousy ridden, in the dark, in pissing rain, on one hand thinking "what the fuck am I doing here?" while at the same time another part of my brain was pretty stoked to be pushing way outside my comfort zone to be riding there!

So on those grounds, the Kurrajong side of Youies and the Yaugher side of Forrest are my sentimental Happy Places. :D
I wasn't referring to the place more the practice.