Your Interesting Train Rides

kholden_1992

Likes Dirt
i don't know if this will be a popular thread but here it is anyway

As many of you may know, train rides in the public transport system can be....."interesting"
In this thread you can talk about some of your most interesting train rides as you commute to work or to certain events or riding spots.

Either tell stuff like what you and your mates have done to entertain yourself like "lock every door on a whole train carriage with your hex keys" or talk about some of the "lovely people" of the public who like to entertain you or who just like to be complete assholes.

Last edited:

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
Dad took a train ride while in eastern europe. Halfway to destination, train stopped, soldiers boarded, dragged three men off, soldiers departed and the train rolled off again.

sunny

Likes Dirt
Man freaking out with two chickie babes, yelling, screaming, pulls out his gun.....was all a bit weird. Wouldn't recommend it really.

NCR600

Likes Dirt
There's no trip that can't be made better by train. A few years ago me and my brother chipped in and bought our dad and ourselves a trip organised by the Australian Rail Historical Society behind a vintage 48 class lDiesel electric locomotove to the semi disused industrial railway sites of Sydney.

Awesome trip, took the full day and we got to tour from Chullora and Holsworthy to the posh environs of Lavender Bay and Balmain. Because it was a privately organised trip, you could bring and drink as much beer as you could handle and no-one cared if you yelled abuse at the plebs waiting at Rhodes for a suburban train, or in fact if you stopped the tour train and drove it through the ststion 4 or 5 times for the benefit of photographers, and the annoyance of the sort of folks that catch trains on Sunday.

Also, I had the priveledge of riding behind 3801 when it was "racing" The Flying Scotsman in '88 That also caused major annoyance to the plebs that caught suburban electric trains on a Sunday. I've travelled behind 5510 when it ran out of coal at Thirroul and delayed scheduled services by up to 4 hours while ithe tender was re-filled from trucks and travelled from Sydney Central to Cootamundra in less than a day (23.5 hours) behind 3801, causing major delays to the up (and down) daylight XPT.

Last time I went to Melbs on the XPT we broke down at The Rock for 4 hours. They kindly let off the train for a few hours at 1am, which really wasn't all that interesting. I did get to smoke and chat with the loco fitters though.

downhiller guy

Likes Bikes
Some bumy feral looking dude spiting on the floor of the train, very gross.

Some drunk kid who used to go to my school trying to do a back flip on the train while it was moving.

that's about all i have witnessed on the train. Not very interesting but meh.

Last edited:

hayden olsen

Likes Bikes
all of you have seen those weird scratchings on the windows in trains, well i was always wondering how the hoods do it. and i was corrected very badly by a little shit. he was no older then 12 yrs old and very short. wearing a hood and skinny jeans, and then out of nowhere he whips out a massive knife, at least 20 cm long and starts hacking away at the windows while laughing his brains out. and i'am kinda scared about what those kinda kids at the age of 10 are going to be like when there 20+ because if they already have knifes then what will they have once there older ?? guns most likely and then everything spirals downwards from there for these little shits (not being mean or anything. just don't understand why there parents if they have any dont give a shit. or why the cops cant see whats going on)

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Dad took a train ride while in eastern europe. Halfway to destination, train stopped, soldiers boarded, dragged three men off, soldiers departed and the train rolled off again.
Sounds like Connex ticket inspectors. Sure he wasn't in Melbourne?

willsy01

Eats Squid
Sitting next to an ice junkie on the way home from work one evening was interesting. It was the closest thing to sitting next to a hand grenade with the pin half pulled......he kept getting up and pounding on the doors every 10mins or so, scratching at his arms etc.

I was almost expecting an attempt to punch me in the face.

sockman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
all of you have seen those weird scratchings on the windows in trains, well i was always wondering how the hoods do it. and i was corrected very badly by a little shit. he was no older then 12 yrs old and very short. wearing a hood and skinny jeans, and then out of nowhere he whips out a massive knife, at least 20 cm long and starts hacking away at the windows while laughing his brains out. and i'am kinda scared about what those kinda kids at the age of 10 are going to be like when there 20+ because if they already have knifes then what will they have once there older ?? guns most likely and then everything spirals downwards from there for these little shits (not being mean or anything. just don't understand why there parents if they have any dont give a shit. or why the cops cant see whats going on)
everyone with half a brain uses diamond tip drill bits or a humble rock...

I've been held up at knife point by a group of 10 year old lads who wanted my iPhone... Told them if they stabbed me they could have it so they ran away like good little girls.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Nothing beats getting drunk on a train! Not only is it allowed back home, it's damn near encouraged with conveniently place bottle shops near every station and buffet cars that serve beer at any time!. As for train trips themselves, I've done some pretty cool ones around SE Asia. The overnight from Bangkok to Surat Thani (jump-off point for the islands) is always a bit of a giggle. Best train ride i've done though was when I arrived back in the UK after being away for 15 months on my first ever backpacking trip around SE Asia and Australia.

Skint and without a connecting flight to Aberdeen, I abused my old debit card and grabbed a train from London Kings-X to Aberdeen along with a shitload of beers. It was early february and I'd been pretty much in the tropics, the pilbara and summertime VIC for the last 15months so a train trip up almost the entire length of the country when most of it was under a blanket of snow, to finally head home was pretty special.

kholden_1992

Likes Dirt
hahaha was on the train today coming back from Hornsby back to Gosford with my mate Jake because im doing a sponsor video for him and sure enough there was an interesting person on board in our carriage. Me and my mate were like "OMG who is this person" she must of been the biggest bullshit artist ever. First she crapped on about how she used to own 3 free agent bmx bikes and once had a $600 tire, then she said she stole a 7 grand bike and took off the serial number then sold it at cash converters, then some how she started to talk about Magic Mushrooms and Fantasy, then she was talking about how she owned 3 R33 Nissan skylines, which raises the question of "why the hell she was on a train then."

Plow King

Little bit.
Some of he older and lamer members will remeber the shittyrail thread. That has some pretty interesting stuff in it. Do a search IMO.

JONO WADE

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Vline occasionally provides some interesting viewing for passengers.
One time i saw 2 bogan women getting into a slapping/scratching fight because one lady wouldn't move her bag.
Another time i saw police drag a screaming homeless guy off the train when he refused to pay for a ticket.
Majority of time though, train rides just seem to bore me, especially when they're delayed (regularly).