Your Thoughts on Dual air Shock bikes

downhiller_1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i think that the bike looks good but having to air shocks how is goin to need 2 (mayb bender) but its point less wen 1 just works fine.

---Matt---

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's a good design that's been tried a couple times before but hasn't really taken off due to the expenses of buying two shocks, among other things.

The 2Stage should be a good ride because they've focused on the axle path and tried to make it into a fast race bike (not a hucker). If you actually look at their website they explain a lot about the design and technology behind the bike.

I don't know if it'll ever be cheap enough to compete with other brands in mass production but it'll be a nice botique frame for the odd few who can afford it.

---Matt---

Percy Pig

Squid
$3000 NZ isnt too expensive for an 8inch bike.:)

Hell even $4000 NZ isnt bad for a 9 inch DH frame!:cool:

Plus they are pretty cool, not just cos its an NZ company.:D

Drew.

Eats Squid
Percy Pig said:

Well looking at Gemini's (7inch) and Oranges (9 inch), They all are pritty much the same, But these 2 bikes have a simpler design, And besides, The price shouldn't go up depending on the amount of travel, For example, the Yeti 4x frame has about 3.75" of travel, But retails for a price in the mid 2'000's.

I think they're a good idea, You see a very little amount of bikes with this setup...But it is a pritty good idea...Although, i'd be sticking with 1 shock.;)

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
Percy Pig said:

Sorry, by a bit of cash, i meant when buying a dh frame, you can spend 4 grand on many frames that you know will work and have many replacement parts, sevice etc etc etc... i wouldnt want to spend 4k and have fuck up and then have no one that can tell how to fix it blah blah blah

And why buy an overly complicated set up when you can get a proven solid performer for the same money...

To really get my attention it needs a fews years of bug fixing and proven performance gains, other wise, one shock and half the metal will suffice.

Having said that, it looks killer:cool:

MrPlow

TMBC
Percy Pig said:

I was once told it's not the size that matters, its how you use it.
I found this very comforting, as my ride only had 6 inches in the rear at the time. Pro's don't always use the full 8inches even if they have the tools at their disposal to do so. Look at Orange, they have gone back in travel, it only takes Fabian 7" to win worlds...

As for the twin shock, I see it as a bit of an obsolite and bandaid solution to a problem that has really been solved with current shock technologies. Not to say it isn't still better, but perhaps not justifiably better.

Last edited:

Percy Pig

Squid
You guys think $4000NZ is a lot for a DH frame?
Try $6200 for an M3, now thats an expensive frame!

Plus the suspension set up is key to the way the 2Stage works, you can set it up so that the shocks work progressively, or so they work in tandem both at the same time, moving the axle in an area rather than a linear path depending on the bump forces working on the wheel at the time, and even if you do set them up to work progressively there would be a transition between the two.
Also it has fewer and larger pivots than a Demo/ Intense/ V10.
Ok yes more shock pivots, but its not like they are expensive or difficult to maintain.

I cant wait till my mates one arrives so I can examine it up close!:cool:

Shorerider

Likes Dirt
downhiller_1 said:
i think that the bike looks good but having to air shocks how is goin to need 2 (mayb bender) but its point less wen 1 just works fine.

Funny you should say that. Bender once had a bike (a Karpiel I think) that DID have 2 shocks!

Just thought you might like to know.

Drew.

Eats Squid
Percy Pig said:
You guys think $4000NZ is a lot for a DH frame?
Try $6200 for an M3, now thats an expensive frame!
Wherever you're shopping, they're ripping you off...

A Yeti 303 frame will cost about $6500.....Now an expensive frame is a Nicolai Neucleon TST, RRP is $9330, But oh how it's worth it. [/off topic]

The price on these bikes really isn't bad, I mean, any normal person would look at the price of it and just think ":eek: What the fahoboguads!"...But in the riding world it's like shopping in the OC....Although most of us dont have our mummy and daddies unlimited credit card.:rolleyes:

Big_Al

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I rekaon it depends on what you want

If your looking for less weight then go air there excellent
If you dont mind a bit more wieght they go for something high tec more adjustibility and more wieght
Air is the new thing

Al

Percy Pig

Squid
Ruckus_Lord said:
Wherever you're shopping, they're ripping you off...

A Yeti 303 frame will cost about $6500.....Now an expensive frame is a Nicolai Neucleon TST, RRP is $9330, But oh how it's worth it. [/off topic]

The price on these bikes really isn't bad, I mean, any normal person would look at the price of it and just think ":eek: What the fahoboguads!"...But in the riding world it's like shopping in the OC....Although most of us dont have our mummy and daddies unlimited credit card.:rolleyes:
Well I have to admit I dont pay retail on anything, its a bonus of ridng for 13 years and knowing everyone!:cool:
$6200 was the NZ retail price of an M3 frame when I checked last year after my Stab was stolen, but I bought a second hand Karpiel instead, for $2500 complete.:eek:

But if I was to replace the Karp I would be looking at one of these, cos they are cool and I like the idea, and they arent silly money.:)

Ps, hehe, "fahoboguads". :D

Drew.

Eats Squid
Percy Pig said:
Well I have to admit I dont pay retail on anything, its a bonus of ridng for 13 years and knowing everyone!:cool:
$6200 was the NZ retail price of an M3 frame when I checked last year after my Stab was stolen, but I bought a second hand Karpiel instead, for $2500 complete.:eek:

But if I was to replace the Karp I would be looking at one of these, cos they are cool and I like the idea, and they arent silly money.:)

Ps, hehe, "fahoboguads". :D
$6200NZD is $5400AUD, That's the price to expect too pay in most Aus shops..

VERT

Likes Bikes
Big_Al said:
I rekaon it depends on what you want

If your looking for less weight then go air there excellent
If you dont mind a bit more wieght they go for something high tec more adjustibility and more wieght
Air is the new thing

Al
Still 2 air shocks would weight more than 1 coil? + i'm still not totally convinced by air

S.

ex offender
If their claims are anything like true, they have done some pretty insane mathematical modelling.