YT tues comp carbon or alloy?

JJ1989

Likes Bikes
I'm looking into buying a new dh bike. The YT tues comp really stand out and are now shipping to aus soon.
I am a 64kg rider i would call myself intermediate. I do go in a few races but not a full racer.
Just let me know your thoughts.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
How much do you want to wax on your steed!? We are all guilty of paying for bits that we know won't actually make us better riders, but we like the candy! If you're set on a YT, buy the best one you can afford :D

Ivan

Eats Squid
Its $900 difference to save 1kg.

IMO, Aluminium is a safer bet for DH racing, as you DH bikes get crashed quite a bit.

jarrod839

Banned
Do your bit for the planet and go carbon

Hey mate

I just recently purchased one of the yt carbon pro and should be arriving in the next month.
i was in the same boat and as ajay said if your got the coin buy the better model. Plus buying a carbon 650b bike you will sell it better down the track if u decide to upgrade as its the in thing with kids these days.
yt is awesome to deal with and u wont be disappointed with either model u choose.

will2

Likes Dirt
Its $900 difference to save 1kg.

IMO, Aluminium is a safer bet for DH racing, as you DH bikes get crashed quite a bit.
I have to agree with Ivan, you say you are intermediate, which does involve plenty of stacking especially on a DH bike. I am not familiar with YT's policies and whether they have a crash replacement scheme but I do know of the heart ache of a flaccid Carbon frame. It is not good by the way.

The Fish

Likes Bikes
I have to agree with Ivan, you say you are intermediate, which does involve plenty of stacking especially on a DH bike. I am not familiar with YT's policies and whether they have a crash replacement scheme but I do know of the heart ache of a flaccid Carbon frame. It is not good by the way.
I have a few dents in my glory that I wonder about in terms of wether they would have made a carbon crack. Does aly dent = carbon crack? 1kg is a heap though!!

The Fish

Likes Bikes
Surely you'd go the carbon if you can afford the extra $$$. Here's a pic of carbon I took at CW Rotorua........just sexy.
pretty sure that is a picture of an aluminium model, just going off whats on the website re 'colourways'...... still nice looking though!

will2

Likes Dirt
I have a few dents in my glory that I wonder about in terms of wether they would have made a carbon crack. Does aly dent = carbon crack? 1kg is a heap though!!
Went mushy for me. Yeah is a bit of weight, that $900 saved though could go towards getting it lighter, which is easy. If you are shuttling with the odd push run it is no concern. More gravitational potential and greater momentum though, more is better right?

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
More gravitational potential and greater momentum though, more is better right?
Depends how quickly you like to stop or change direction, more weight at the same speed means more interia, which equals a greater resistance to change, slowing or direction. But i don't race and I find the heavier bike holds a better line through the rough stuff, where as the lighter bike whilst more responsive tends to bounce around a lot more.