Z1 Wedge OR DJ3??

peachy

Ripe 'n ready!
can anyone give us some help on which fork to get... i don't jump often but i do and my style of riding is thrashing. I do a bit of urban asell.
Which fork would best suit what i do, or are they both basically the same?

I heard that the disk tabs on the z1 wedge are easily snapped off, does anyone have experience with this?
Are the dj3's good and plush?

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
Well, just from what I've heard on NSMB.com, everyone says to stay away from the z1 wedge. It seems to get consistently bad "reviews"....

Ty

Eats Squid
the z.1 wedge is really a rebadged z.5 trying to use the z.1 name to sell forks, so i think you might get preload adjustment and thats it, rebound etc has to be done internaly with various oil weights, it has a very basic damper system, pretty much the same as the orignal '96/'97 z.1 which means theres no speed sensitive valving, also the stantions arn't as strong nor the crown as well machined as a 'real' z.1

the DJ serise is a good 'big hit" (for a single crown) fork they have pretty poor small bump preformance but they are good if your just dropping, jumping or just being a hack, the 03s are much better than the 02s as well

stinky|dan

Likes Dirt
i've got a z1 wedge on my stinky and it does the job. I'm on the heavy side (93kilos) and race Sport class downhill on it. Not a smooth rider by any strech of the imagination but it survives my thrashings.

Haven't ridden a DJ3 but they do look good. I would take what the NSMB.com kids say with a grain of salt, they are horrible exaggeraters.

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
stinky|dan said:
Haven't ridden a DJ3 but they do look good. I would take what the NSMB.com kids say with a grain of salt, they are horrible exaggeraters.
Yeah. I know what you mean... But for every three snotty little kids over there, there's usually a seasoned, knowledgable rider... and judging by the numbers of people who don't recommend the z1, there must be some weight behind that call.

But I've never ridden with a z1 myself, sooo.....

Search the threads over there in the gear section about the z1 Wedge. There was a recent one that seemed pretty detailed about the z1, as well as the DJ3.... See what ya think...

peachy

Ripe 'n ready!
Thanks guys that has helped. But does anyone know the price difference between the two? and what do you mean by "they have pretty poor small bump preformance" Ty??
I'm running a EXR - would it have better small bump performance than that?

Ty

Eats Squid
um like when you get out on a trail and theres like lots of small bumps and not just drops and you want your fork to help with keeping your wheel on the ground (traction) not just sucking up the big hits, thats small bump proformance, the better the valveing system (ie, ssv, TPC+, shim stacks) the better the fork will be at taking both big and small hits, but if the fork has a basic (cheaper) system then it normaly has to set for one end or the other, in this case the DJs are built for sucking up the big hits.

it all really depends how you set up your gear, personaly i like my forks to be really soft so they track the ground better and ramp up (get harder) right at the very end of the travel to save my arse from bottoming, some people prefer a more linear feel beacuse it can be more pedictable, othere like it stiff so they get better pop off jumps and so it doesn't dive as much under brakes and bob when pedaling.

i'd say the internals in the DJ3 and the exr are pretty simlar, they're just wraped in a tougher package.

skillz

Likes Dirt
ive got the DJ 3 on my norco one25
its really good and can take a beating, although i am really crap at riding

does anyone know how to use the Air Assist?
ive got a floor pump btw

Ty

Eats Squid
i'm pretty sure that you pump up the air assist to make it harder to bottom on big drops/jumps, and let it out to try and make it smoother for trails.