Zelvy Carbon Rims - Any out there in RB land?

omac

Likes Dirt
35mm outter... not sure on inner (I would have a stab and say 27mm?)

1690g~, 1690g~, 1720g~ for 26",27",29" respectively (with hope hubs)
Thanx for that info, Im just considering my options at the moment because my skinny 25mm easton xlt's keep burping with my 110kgs & Iv never liked skinny rims anyway.

Just ordered a set with chris king hubs, $1500, I find that to be quite good value. I normally run hopes but for $250 more what the hell, already in trouble with the mrs.

About a month wait as the hubs have to be ordered and wheels built.
Very nice & I always say that its better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission:whistle:

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Thanx for that info, Im just considering my options at the moment because my skinny 25mm easton xlt's keep burping with my 110kgs & Iv never liked skinny rims anyway.

Very nice & I always say that its better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission:whistle:
Yeah she'll forgive me, if I am lucky black rims are black rims, she may not realise.

Have a good look at Flow Ex's, they have held up really well for me.

Previous wheels are/were FLow Ex's, been 100% reliable for me at 107kg. Only time I burped was at 20psi, I am going to set the zelvys up waith stans I am really hoping their as painless as the flows were.

Last edited:

jgdj18

Likes Dirt
I have heard that the new style of 35mm wide rims can make it very hard to change tyres as the tyres are super tight. Can anyone comment on their experience fitting tyres to the Zelvy rims?

Quintin

Eats Squid
I have heard that the new style of 35mm wide rims can make it very hard to change tyres as the tyres are super tight. Can anyone comment on their experience fitting tyres to the Zelvy rims?
there would be something wrong with a man who struggled to change a tyre on any rim, however my zelvys are no toruble. yes they are tight but they are tubeless ready so that is to be expected.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Here's my opinion, take it or leave it.
On any rim. Put one side of tyre on first. Plan to finnish at valve on second side. Push all tyre bead(both sides) already on rim to center of rim, especially opposite where you are trying to get it on. Keep repushing tyre to center as you work it.
60%+ of experienced bike mechanics seem to not do this, but just use levers and force. I can get 99% of tyres on without levers using this method. Don't forget to add sealant before finishing putting tyre on. Tight means less chance of burping. Tighter the better IMO.
My Zelvy was hard, but not impossible by any means. Went up with track pump for this reason.

scblack

Leucocholic
Here's my opinion, take it or leave it.
On any rim. Put one side of tyre on first. Plan to finnish at valve on second side. Push all tyre bead(both sides) already on rim to center of rim, especially opposite where you are trying to get it on. Keep repushing tyre to center as you work it.
60%+ of experienced bike mechanics seem to not do this, but just use levers and force. I can get 99% of tyres on without levers using this method. Don't forget to add sealant before finishing putting tyre on. Tight means less chance of burping. Tighter the better IMO.
My Zelvy was hard, but not impossible by any means. Went up with track pump for this reason.
And seconded, I do the same to fit tyres. Works.

Mywifesirrational

I also like to throw a little bit of silicon spray lube, can make the difference in avoiding spending 15 mins trying to work out where the tyre levers are or sore thumbs.

omac

Likes Dirt
Im about to order a 650b hookless DH wheel set with Chris King hubs for my Zesty, I can't wait for some quality hoops I can trust:first:

Gripo

Eats Squid
Im about to order a 650b hookless DH wheel set with Chris King hubs for my Zesty, I can't wait for some quality hoops I can trust:first:
Kings are "nice" hubs but a total bytch when it comes to adapability...

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Fitted a DHF and HR2 to my 35mm Zelvy rims. Fitted by hand, no tools, no lube, no problem. Seated easily with a nice pop with the track pump.

Mywifesirrational

Mine are due this week, promised before the weekend.

Been a long wait, just don't order a wheelset with red CK hubs, they are hard to get in AU - you've been warned!

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
no option to buy 26" wheel sets any more - world is a changin...
Website has only just been updated and not all wheelsets listed, if you contact them they can provide pricing on compete 26" wheelsets.

New hookless 26" wheelset is on my list!