The Fixie Thread

crabapple hitz

Likes Dirt
Latest fad.

Lets all start riding around on kids bikes with really long seatposts and a milkcrate on the front like the old chinese guy up my street.
We could have races to see who could fit the most crap in their crate.
Plus instead of funky hats and bandanas we could see who could find the worst stackhat, baseball or icehockey helmet to wear.

rhysrhysbaby

Eats Squid

SDA

Likes Dirt
Out of interest what should you expect to pay for bikes like that? I thought the prices look semi reasonable, but I'm no expert on vintage track bikes
Without a doubt.. they would be making a decent margin on them! Salvaging old parts and restoring them wouldn't cost much.. just labour!

crabapple hitz

Likes Dirt
Out of interest what should you expect to pay for bikes like that? I thought the prices look semi reasonable, but I'm no expert on vintage track bikes
Me neither but I do like Vintage road bikes.
You can pick up a pretty nice 80's Italian roadie say a Colnago or a guerciotti
for around 1k these days. I can't see how a track bike could be more as it has less parts. I do know Japanese track frames can be a bit pricey but 3k???
I think it's a bit over the top.

RCOH

Eats Squid
time=money.

Sourcing parts, restoration and building would take a few hours at least, a few days at most. if you charge average bike mechanics hourly rate for all the time spent getting the bike together & looking as nice as they do then the ticket price is going to go up.

Last edited:

rhysrhysbaby

Eats Squid
Thanks for the answers.
All those 'added' costs of time are definite killers and is one of the main reasons I got my surly and didn't bother with building one from scratch.

Also just a bit of a vent about people trackstanding at lights. I'm currently waiting at the tram stop for my girl and a guy pulled up before and got into a track stand. He held it for a good 10seconds then he turned his bars the opposite way, rolled forward a bit then proceeded to creep further and further trying to hold this stand. By the time the lights changed he was a good 3 metres past the line he may as well just run the red.

Is it really a crime to put ur foot down at the lights, especially when ur flop of a track stand is more dangerous that running this particular red?

Ill hold a track stand at the lights if I get onto a good one, but I usually buckle under the pressure and unclip.

A real cute girl on an even nicer vintage road bike with flat bars also road past. Didn't see what it was, but it was orange. Haha that's all

'Ross

Eats Squid
Anybody tried visiting fyxomatosis today, I'm trying to find it now but seem to be unable to, though it was www.fyxomatosis.com but that site isnt working for me :confused:
Same, guessing his server is down or some techonological problem? tried through google as well. I checked out www.melburnmassive.com Meanstreetz details are still not up yet:p

And Rhys, was your trackstand guy riding fixed? Most people I see trackstanding are on road bikes. I see the point if you are only going to be waiting 10-15 seconds and you are clipped in, but with normal shoes I put the foot down because I can leave the lights a lot easier and quicker, rather than trying to accelerate with horizontal cranks.

rhysrhysbaby

Eats Squid
And Rhys, was your trackstand guy riding fixed? Most people I see trackstanding are on road bikes. I see the point if you are only going to be waiting 10-15 seconds and you are clipped in, but with normal shoes I put the foot down because I can leave the lights a lot easier and quicker, rather than trying to accelerate with horizontal cranks.
The guy was on a road bike, real pro looking.

My main issue was that this guy couldn't track stand to save himself and looked real uncomfortable with it all. It nots illegal to unclip and clip in when needed.