Rock is Dead? Paper and scisssor live on!

Martin.au

Likes Dirt
Rock isn't dead, you just have to find the right sources.

I'd recommend trying:

Muse (First time in years I've been to any concert. They were awesome.)
The Killers
The Black Keys
Rocket Science
The Mess Hall

Not all of them are "stadium acts" but I'm pretty sure they fit the rock genre.

Ham

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey guys, I'm also a devoted rock fan, and no it's not dead, yet.

Metallica are still bringing out a new album and Jet have released an album a while back, and has anybody ever heard of Airbourne, if not go and buy their album Runnin' Wild. They're great and kinda like AC/DC but a bit heavier!

Now the only reason that Rock isn't as big as it was in the 70's is that it was one of the only types of music around. Now we have stuff like Hip-Hop and Rap which in my opinion is crap.

So Rock isn't dead or dying, it's just had to be mixed in with all the other new-age crap :p
no dont listen to airbourne listen to the real runnin wild.
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=5RhJ2hBNerc

pirate rock for the win.

LIAM?!

Banned
It's a true fact that we are becoming the youth of yesterday, looking back on what made music what it is (rock especially) and that most bands nowdays reflect on the music in the past as there main influences, music is a wide, wide domain and you can keep searching for the perfect band and never find it, that's how big it is. If you want old rock being reformed into new rock you need to watch tv shows on channel SBS and ABC, one's that dont get as much public following douche bags, like 10 and 7 who just want popular propaganda bullshit and mtv to fit in with the rest of the fucking world.

Danr

Likes Bikes
It's not that most people hate rock, it's just that most people don't like music that much. Sure they'll go to a show, buy whatever records they hear on the commercial radio or TV video hits shows, but when you get down to it, they're just not that into music. They don't think about it much, pay much attention to it, and certainly don't want to be challenged by it. So you get "safe" acts that are nothing more than the musical equivalent of McDonalds, and of course, like a Mcdonalds in a shopping centre food court, has a huge queue of people waiting to buy their crap, whilst the excellent little Kebab shop or Noodle bar has 2 customers apeice.
spot on, spot on!

the epitome of this would have to be (insert country name here) idol. People have to now win first prize in a competition to become a famous voice-overer (cause thats what they are), they cant just be good and become famous by their own merits. atleast the majority of rock doesn't attract this consumer group, they can have it for all i care. they've also got their fangs in hip-hop, 50 cent (no he doesn't write his own shit anymore) kanye(sp?) west (entire fanbase composed of teenage females, not bad for him i spose) are shining examples, its all about record sales, image, product placement, top 40s etc.

Do you think the status of rock music dying slowly compared with the absolute god like figures of the yester year
Rock isn't dying, as long as you've got people with taste in music, same thing applies for hip-hop, rap etc. theres plenty of underground movements / non-mainstream stuff and there always will be. Its just not mainstream, we've got great musicians still workin hard out there, dave grohl (nirvana, foo fighters), josh homme (kyuss, queens of the stoneage), billy corgan (smashing pumpkins) and some new comers. the beatles, hendrix, zepplin, pink floyd were what some would consider mainstream back in the day, today rock has taken a step to the side to let pop take the mainstream, which is pretty good considering what the mainstream is about these days.

:D siamese dream, best. album. ever.

NCR600

Likes Dirt
mate i have and guess what ive found some great local acts from the Triple J unearthed website

bands such as:

The Sips from Brisbane
Dont Stop Me Now from Bundaberg.

the only thing is all their gigs are 18+.

so its a bit hard for me at the moment isnt it!
I'm truly sorry about the underage thing. It does make it hard when you want to go to shows and can't get in.

You obviously have a fairly decent taste in music, so I'll make it easy for you.

Here's a list of modern rock bands you may like. They all have myspace pages, so go check the songs they have up, then check out who's on their top friends list. You can go for days doing this.

Clutch
Fu Manchu
Orange Goblin
Solace
Brant Bjork
Kyuss (precursor to Queens of the Stone age, who well and truly screwed the pooch)
Monster Magnet
Truckfighters
Scissorfight

Seriously, there is so much good stuff out there, and it goes far deeper than JJJ unearthed could ever hope to showcase.

Hell, because I'm in such a good mood, I'll burn a CD sampler for anyone who cares to Bmail me their postal address. (Offer ends when my good humour does, so hurry!)

Rik

logged out
Whenever anyone claims any music "scene" is dead I disregard them as a jaded fan who isn't passionate enough to put effort in to find new music.
There's so much awesome stuff happening all the time and to constantly look back and say "it'll never be the same again" is just denying yourself the opportunity to explore something new that may be just as good.

gravelclimber

Likes Dirt
Musical styles don't die - they evolve into something different. Every style of music has its halcyon days though. There's still some good rock around but it'll never be like the seventies again. Same as classical music - there's probably some good modern composers around but there aren't any Mozart's or Beethoven's. The social conditions for that produce those sorts of artists have changed - now the equivalent visionaries are probably doing electronica or something. The pool of people doing rock as we think of it now (as apposed to what it evolves into) will grow smaller and smaller and, accordingly, you're gonna get less and less good stuff. Such is life.

MasterOfReality

After forever
Rock isn't dead.

Heaps of new bands out there and the old ones are doing a roaring trade.

Look at the recent Heaven and Hell tour. Old farts with zero advertising yet they pulled respectable crowds in Australia. In the States they are selling out 15,000 - 20,000 seat arena's.

When Black Sabbath reunited in 1997/1998, their world tour and the subsequent Ozzfest was one of the highest grossing tours of the year, knocking off all that commercial pop rubbish. Granted, it might be more metal than rock, but nevertheless its still relevant.

People went rabid when Led Zep announced the reformation concert.

Wolfmother are having a decent go as well.

For some reason I am also really getting into Dallas Crane too.

My vote for the best 'new' rock/metal band goes to Kyuss.

TheBofh

Likes Dirt
Whenever anyone claims any music "scene" is dead I disregard them as a jaded fan who isn't passionate enough to put effort in to find new music.
There's so much awesome stuff happening all the time and to constantly look back and say "it'll never be the same again" is just denying yourself the opportunity to explore something new that may be just as good.
There was a period starting in the mid-late '90s that put me off buying music; I was buying a lot of CD's but finding out that they had 1 or 2 good songs, 2 mediocre tracks & 10 tracks of filler put me off so much I gave up looking for new stuff & concentrated on filling up my back catalogue of bands I already liked. Bands/record companies are finding they can't get away with that crap anymore as consumers will just download exactly what they want. I'm even listening to some new stuff now although it's at least 10 years since I've read NME.

jackmac91

Likes Dirt
I am a passionate rock and roll fan!
Rock is not dead, It's just being more or less ignored by the major labels because of the simple fact that its just not the *in thing* right now.
Rock and roll used to be the life blood of the music industry, but unfortunatly for the true fans of rock the industry is just a buisness out to make as much money as possible and while rock isn't the cool thing to be listening to, it will never be promoted to the general pubilc.
But hey! since when was rock'n'roll about selling records...
Most of the younger generations of today will swallow whatever is crammed into their head by the media, and since its not rock being promoted it will be ignored by all those who aren't don't truly love it.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I don't think rock is dead and it certainly hasn't been replaced by that battery powered electronic shite. That stuff isn't even music and takes absolutely no talent at all to make. Give me one of those Duracel bunnies and mobile phone and I'll make as much of it as you want. Talentless tripe! Come in spinner...

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I don't think rock is dead and it certainly hasn't been replaced by that battery powered electronic shite. That stuff isn't even music and takes absolutely no talent at all to make. Give me one of those Duracel bunnies and mobile phone and I'll make as much of it as you want. Talentless tripe! Come in spinner...
Troll! 12345678

Benzy

Likes Dirt
I get the shits when people who mix two records together, or loop 4 bars 100 times call themselves musicians... They have very little creative input and doing so requires no talent when compared to learning an instrument...

I say rock isn't dead but has taken a back seat to a more marketable product aimed at a more impressionable age group... Even if rock was dead (which it will never be), there has been more than enough rock produced over the past 30-40 years to satisfy even the most discerning tastes.

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Here's a list of modern rock bands you may like. They all have myspace pages, so go check the songs they have up, then check out who's on their top friends list. You can go for days doing this.

Clutch
Fu Manchu
Orange Goblin
Solace
Brant Bjork
Kyuss (precursor to Queens of the Stone age, who well and truly screwed the pooch)
Monster Magnet
Truckfighters
Scissorfight
I just had a look in the stoner/fuzz genre section in my iPod.

There lies in order:

Ahkmed
Brant Bjork
Clutch
Fu Manchu
Kyuss
Scissorfight
Slo Burn
The Union

All of which I can recommend....that's quite obvious though, they wouldn't be sitting in there in I couldn't recommend them :)