Rock is Dead? Paper and scisssor live on!

RYDA

Likes Bikes and Dirt
OK guys, I am a devoted rock and roll fan and always will be.

Do you think the status of rock music dying slowly compared with the absolute god like figures of the yester year such as, Gus Young and Jimi Hendrix?

Like the other day all my mates at cricket were listenening to there 50 cent/justin timberlake crap and asked me why i haed their music so much.

I then explained to them all the sick as bands that are included in my itunes library. (AC/DC, Nirvana, Jimi Hendrix Experience, Led Zeppplin and so forth.)

And as a reply i got;

"Geez trent you are soo emo"

Now if that doesnt say anything bout what the media and that have done to my generation ill eat my hat.

Call me old fashioned at the age of 15. But how will rock regain its once legendary status?

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
When sales are driven by putting skimpy hip hop dancers into film clips and not from having quality music then yes, rock is dead.

Most of what has come in the last decade has been pretty forgettable.

Of course it could be argued that much from the previous decades was also pretty forgettable, we only remember the standout stuff, not the filler.

Most songs today aren't stairway to heaven, but neither were most songs back then.

You also need to bear in mind that the number of truly skilled artists around today is probably no higher but the morass of filler you have to wade through is far greater. Higher noise for the same size signal.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
How can rock be dead when we see the success of bands like Wolfmother, Muse, tool and Jet? There's farking heaps of new rock out there.

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
Given that Wolfmother are little more than a Sabbath Clone I'd hardly call it "new". More "alarmingly derivative".
(Personal opinion obviously. That's not to say that I don't like it, but I like that era Sabbath stuff too)

I mean, will people be listening to "classics" from the 90's and 0's in the future?

Last edited:

TheBofh

Likes Dirt
It's easier to market a pop group with pre-packaged hits than to develop a rock band over time. Many bands including AC/DC, REM, U2, Powderfinger, Nirvana, (Bleach was good but hardly anyone bought it until after Nevermind was a hit), took a couple of albums to establish themselves. These days record companies are expecting huge returns on the first release so they tend to steer away from rock bands unless they can guarantee an immediate success. The advent of artists releasing their material directly to the public may change this again. It will take a while for the media to follow though.

RYDA

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's easier to market a pop group with pre-packaged hits than to develop a rock band over time. Many bands including AC/DC, REM, U2, Powderfinger, Nirvana, (Bleach was good but hardly anyone bought it until after Nevermind was a hit), took a couple of albums to establish themselves. These days record companies are expecting huge returns on the first release so they tend to steer away from rock bands unless they can guarantee an immediate success. The advent of artists releasing their material directly to the public may change this again. It will take a while for the media to follow though.
yeah mate that is bloody brillant. so true!

haha bleach is mad album by the way

roasted

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rock is not dead, just look harder. Commercial success has very little to do with musical talent or integrity. And good pop exists. The latest JT record rules, and there is heaps of quality pop punk (as opposed to homogenous, mass produced soft rock) such as the flakes, the spazzys etc, you just need to know where to look.

Also, who cares about what 'status' music has? It is entirely subjective, so noone can tell you what is right and wrong to listen to.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Have you guys been hiding under a rock or is this some bullshit rose tinted whine?
  • Radiohead and Queens of The Stone Age could legitamately claim to one of the all time greatest rock bands.
  • The new wave produced a whole heap of excellent rock bands including Bloc Party, Maximo Park, The Kaiser Chiefs, Franz Ferdinand and The Arctic Monkeys.
  • The New York scene continues to churn out talent like the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Interpol, Les Savy Fav.
  • Australia has also recently seen or will see, The Pixes, The Editors, Broken Social Scene, Silversun Pickups, Snow Patrol, The Arcade Fire, The Shins, The Cold War Kids, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, The Smashing Pumpkins, The Rapture, The Go! Team etc etc.
You guys just need to get out more!

RYDA

Likes Bikes and Dirt
woops.
Its just that people(general public) these days think rock is something of the past.

like you take 10 people from the street and ask them what does indie rock mean or what AC/DC song featured bagpipes. i rekon only 3 or so could tell you a half decent anwer

Last edited:

TheBofh

Likes Dirt
LOOK AT THE POST ABOVE YOU MAN.

there is the commercial rock scene!
I think he is trying to say that Rock isn't the mainstay of popular music anymore like it was in the heyday of the '70s. The bands I mentioned probably would find it hard to get signed by a major label if they were starting out now with the material they had then, eg REM, (songs about gardening, herons, murmuring..... get out of my office you Elmer Fudd sounding weirdo).

JakeGorey

Likes Dirt
I then explained to them all the sick as bands that are included in my itunes library. (AC/DC, Nirvana, Jimi Hendrix Experience, Led Zeppplin and so forth.)

legendary status?
Firstly you spelt "Zeppelin" wrong. But i agree, best music of all time and it is starting to die, im 15 as well, as i write this i am in a Led Zeppelin shirt haha. I was watching "Just Shoot Me" on foxtel the other day and in the adverts i turned the channel over to a one hit wonder countdown.. Who do you think i saw? Jimi Hendrix with "all along the watch tower"!! I was so angry! And what makes me even angrier are copies of old classics like Supertramps "Breakfast in America" which was remade by Gym Class hero's and D'yer Mak'er by Led Zeppelin being copied by sean kingston, its foul!!

shredder dj

Likes Dirt
Hey guys, I'm also a devoted rock fan, and no it's not dead, yet.

Metallica are still bringing out a new album and Jet have released an album a while back, and has anybody ever heard of Airbourne, if not go and buy their album Runnin' Wild. They're great and kinda like AC/DC but a bit heavier!

Now the only reason that Rock isn't as big as it was in the 70's is that it was one of the only types of music around. Now we have stuff like Hip-Hop and Rap which in my opinion is crap.

So Rock isn't dead or dying, it's just had to be mixed in with all the other new-age crap :p

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
Oh give me a break, metallica haven't released anything worth listening to since Justice and they definitely peaked with Puppets. They've been going through the motions ever since.

If there's any new album I wouldn't be hanging out for the release of it'll be whatever next gets gurged up by metallica.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Given that Wolfmother are little more than a Sabbath Clone I'd hardly call it "new". More "alarmingly derivative".
(Personal opinion obviously. That's not to say that I don't like it, but I like that era Sabbath stuff too)
I think the important thing about Wolfmother (and also the level of hype about Zep's reformation) is that there is still a HUGE demand for old school rock and as Johnny and Oddjob have pointed out the huge success of bands like Muse, Tool, The Arctic Monkeys, Kaiser Chiefs etc. not to mention the ongoing popularity in Australia of bands like Silverchair and Grinspoon show that it's far from dying out.

Rocks definitely not dead, it's just that it's now got younger siblings called Hip-Hop and Dance that are taking up some of the limelight but there's no need to be jealous. The eldest child usually gets the most respect...

Joel O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
... has anybody ever heard of Airbourne, if not go and buy their album Runnin' Wild. p
regrettably i got to motorhead a bit too early and saw the end of airbourne earlier this year. they seem to have the right idea, just a tad boring and predictable

on the other hand, Lemmy's still got it. living proof that TRUE rock legends don't die!