08/09 National MTB Series Announced

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
should call it the eastern states series. I think in the 11 or so years ive been racing bikes theres been 2 national rounds in WA??? i cant remember.
No club or promoter from WA (or NT) put in a bid. Its a bit hard to allocate a round when no one has put their hand up to run it.

What has this world come too? You Yangs :( .... Should of done Eildon again!
But they didn't bid either !

sammydog

NSWMTB, Hunter MTB Association
should call it the eastern states series.

i think in the 11 or so years ive been racing bikes theres been 2 national rounds in WA??? i cant remember. they are rare though.

no wonder why every one in WAis slow....
If there is no one bidding, it is hard to allocate a round.

----edit-----

beaten to it by Le Matelot

S.

ex offender
So nobody else put in a bid? You Yangs is a great fun place to go out and punt around with your mates... but the simple fact is that the hill is tiny and the tracks there just aren't up to scratch for national-level racing. It's a great place to go riding (especially since there are a few short DH tracks so close together), but any one of them as a racetrack, not much chop IMO. I don't mean to rag on GMBC's work out there, it's fantastic to have a place like that relatively nearby with so many trails that suit pretty well every kind of rider/riding, but really...

luke.b

Formerly DH Maniac
that is the most stupidest idea ever to have it at the you yangs:mad:
I thought the exact same thing Matt. It's fine to have the xc there, but it's no DH track, seriously.

You Yangs.... oh my dear lord!
What has this world come too? You Yangs :( .... Should of done Eildon again!
Hehe, I guess people just dont listen to critisism. It's a so far un-tested track in regards to a decent sized race.

Buller will be sick though.

sammydog

I guess you have to bear in mind that the national rounds are selected from the bids that are put to MTBA.

Criticism of the venue is one thing, but all the alternatives thrown up were not represented in the bid and selection process.

old man

Likes Bikes
OK clubs have to put a bid in but does someone actually come and look at the tracks to see what they have to offer ie You Yangs!!!!!!!

Two races in Vic is good for Vic riders but the You Yangs don't understand that one!:confused:

CrookS

Likes Dirt
I'll personally (and am sure others will to) go out to any of the DH tracks around Melbourne and fix them up just so we dont have to waste everyones time... Eildon, Baw Baw, Narby, Granton, Barjarg. Dont wanna Rag on GMBC for getting amongst it and running a race, But i cant imagine it will be the most loved race on the circuit.
Pros--- Close to Melbourne.
When it rains there it doesnt get muddy
Cons--- No Parking
Limited Access
Limited Pit Area
Limited Facilities
Sub Standard Track For a national (sorry to the builders but it come no where close to the others)

Apologies go out to GMBC and the builders of the track.. Im not sure if you've been to a National race of late but areas put aside for pits etc are huge and tracks are a lot different. Something that will be very hard to do at you yangs ( more than happy to be proven wrong)

Last edited:

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
The thing i don't understand is why is the series held over the 08/09 crossover?
Because that is when the overseas guys are home..

I'm turning 16 this year but have to race U/19 at a national race, I would be much more comfortable racing in U/17's.
And the 18 year old have to step up to race elite soit all evens out and. You still end up racing kids your own age

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
So nobody else put in a bid?...
It's a massive undertaking. Everyone wants to have a Nats on their local track but it take months of work to pull it off and nobody wants to sit out the race and help out.

It's all well a good having a whinge (not directed at you S) after the bid process has taken place but how many people put up there hand for their clubt o do the leg work needed to actually bid?

samsty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Everyone keeps saying that You yangs shouldn't be part of the national series...

In my personal opinion, I think that GMBC would do a great job of running it. You yangs is a great venue because it's fun and is nice and close to home. The problem that I see is the venue wouldn't cope with the numbers for a national round. The carpark there only holds about 25 cars, then you need to park along the side of the road. Even from the carpark it's a fair old hike to get to the track/venue. There is hardly a pit area at the bottom of the track. Really, the venue is really suited to smaller scale club races.

The tracks there are built very well. They are great fun to ride. But, I'm not sure that they are of a Nationals standard race track.

Anyway, I'm sure that the guys from GMBC will do a great job with what they have to work with. Fingers crossed it all works out well and it's a great event.

chuckrockswell

iRide Bikes
i think the youies track itself is a whole heap of fun to ride, but isn't it going to struggle with the amount of traffic on track during a national round? its gonna be hard to lay down decent practice runs, etc with so many people all over such a small track.

gonna be interesting thats for sure!

swanny

Likes Dirt
Iv never been a huge fan of the youies, but its ok. My suggestion is that we all band together and make the upcoming Vic Series race as good as possible and help out GMBC with running a smooth event. Maybe we will prove ourselves all wrong and it could be great. And close to home. The atmosphere is always good. Lets puts our thinking caps on and bring up some ideas that can make the event great. Who cares if the track is not as good as some, it still goes down and its the same for everyone. Make the best of what we have been given.
Warm and fuzzy kinda stuff.

Pixsoul

Regulating n00bs
Im sure they can come up with some creative solutions for the You Yangs to pull off a good event. It definitely will be difficult to fit that many people onto the mountain, be interesting to see how they do it.

Maybe they should run the pits up the top of the hill? There is alot more room up there and easier access for vehicles etc. Nothing in the rule book that says it has to be at the bottom of the hill.

I am sure they wouldn't have put a bid in if they didn't think they could pull it off though.

Should see some guys trying to lay down an extra fast time at the vic race in a couple of weeks now!

Cheers,

Ken

adz

Likes Dirt
30 mins from Geelong...50mins from Melbs if promoted well the You Yangs could have the biggest crowd ever seen at a national round which is good for the WHOLE SPORT!!!! of Mountain biking. But i spose if that is at the expense of a couple of whining individuals then maybe it should be held at Eildon or BAw BAW.

luke.b

Formerly DH Maniac
But i spose if that is at the expense of a couple of whining individuals then maybe it should be held at Eildon or BAw BAW.
By a couple you mean the majority of the thread (so far). But yes, your other point is correct. The proximity to Melbourne could mean a large turnout of spectators.

Maybe they should run the pits up the top of the hill? There is alot more room up there and easier access for vehicles etc. Nothing in the rule book that says it has to be at the bottom of the hill.
The problem with the top is that there's limited parking up there as well. You would have the pits up the top, the spectator base and cars all down the bottom, somewhere. Not sure where they are going to put all the cars. Could be interesting.

jon55sey

Likes Dirt
The series sounds good and I will definately be going to Illinbah.

The thing i don't understand is why is the series held over the 08/09 crossover? I think it would be much more benneficial if the series were to be held in one year. This would then allow people like myself to race the appropriate category.

I'm turning 16 this year but have to race U/19 at a national race, I would be much more comfortable racing in U/17's.
Guess what Little T.. I'll be Elite if we go to Illinbah. Damn.

jc1

Squid
RideSik - WE (Perth MTB Club) didn't put in a bid for WA because we don't have anywhere that meets the bid criteria or anyone who is willing to put in the amount of time and effort to make it work. It is hard to ask eastern staters to fly to Perth and then drive 4 hrs to Nannup or alternatively race at the Goatfarm. We are working on a new track area that may be ready for the start of the 2009/2010 series that will incorporate xc and dh. If so it will be the biggest ever event we have put on and we will make it memorable for everyone that comes across.

If clubs/promoters don't bid then they dont have a chance of holding a race. If people in clubs don't want to help, then the club isn't going to bid. All pretty simple really.

It is also good to have different venues every year or two to provide some variety for those that do travel to all the races.

The funki 1

Likes Dirt
30 mins from Geelong...50mins from Melbs if promoted well the You Yangs could have the biggest crowd ever seen at a national round which is good for the WHOLE SPORT!!!! of Mountain biking. But i spose if that is at the expense of a couple of whining individuals then maybe it should be held at Eildon or BAw BAW.
BARJARG BARJARG BARJARG BARJARG BARJARG BARJARG !!!!!!! :D

sammydog

If clubs/promoters don't bid then they dont have a chance of holding a race. If people in clubs don't want to help, then the club isn't going to bid. All pretty simple really.
Exactly, MTBA can only choose from whats offered in the bids, and a club will only bid if it has the resources (funds and man power) and venue to do so.

There is no conspiracy on the venues picked.