XC Grips

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Ah... good question. I got mine directly from them. You could probably get some by emailing them (info@ozriders etc)
Some Guy, I like the look of the ozriders. What was the ballpark cost?

akashra

Eats Squid
They were $20, I think they've gone up to $25 though.

You're probably doing them a better service by buying through stores, as that keeps sales numbers up. If there's the appearance that they're not selling, it might be seen as reason for stores to not stock or sell them.

If anyone's looking for them, I can tell you that BikeNow definitely stock them.

Some Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I use Titec Pluto foam grips on my hardtail. Very comfy, similar design (read shape) to the ozriders but cheaper and lighter
Lighter? Yes. Similar design? Kind of. Comfy? Not so much. The Titecs are a much denser foam and provide a lot less cushion and less grip too. I wouldn't use the Titecs again.

Emu1

Likes Bikes
Lighter? Yes. Similar design? Kind of. Comfy? Not so much. The Titecs are a much denser foam and provide a lot less cushion and less grip too. I wouldn't use the Titecs again.

So how do they wear in comparison? I've not used the ozriders but on the back of that I will probably give them a shot next time I need new grips. Don't think my 100kg will notice the 10gms difference ;)

Some Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So how do they wear in comparison?
I actually don't know yet, I've only had them on for a few weeks. The ozriders logo seems to wear off pretty fast, but the foam has retained it's cushyness so far.

I'll get back to you in six months for a better idea :).

Steve_N

Likes Dirt
Hi Farkers,

My current grips are fairly worn but OK, but a good spill last week has knackered them so it's time to replace.

I went down to my LBS and checked out torpedo7 and there are heaps around, ranging from $10 through to $70. Anyway, I just wanted to know what the difference is (materials? Durability?) and what Farkers use and recommend.

Cheers,

Coaster
For me, Ergon GC2's. I've had problems in the past with numb hands and these did the trick. I bit hefty, in weight and price - 145g each grip weighed and $55 - but these are hands down one of the best parts I've bought for the bike (no pun intended). It has to be tried to be believed...

chef_32

Squid
i got oury lockons, feel awesome but the end caps keep sliding out and i worry about losing them, hopefully barends will make me get rid of them... had slide on oury on my old hardtail and loved them so i won't be changing anytime soon

wittman13

Likes Dirt
I went from ODI Yeti grips, to ODI Ruffians to OzRiders. The Yeti's were to large for my lady fingers. The ruffians were too rough when wearing thin gloves, like the 661 Raji. I have found the Ozriders to be great. I got mine in pimping white, but by the time I had installed them, they were a dull brown.
I like the feel and suppleness of the foam. But, to each there own.

Delmar

Likes Dirt
and another for the Rogues. Tried all sorts of foamies and the ruffians, but the rogues win for me. I love the extra comfort over the ruffians.

But as an old friend of mine once said, one mans milky way is another mans fruit and nut...:)

Bodin

GMBC
I've been indecisively switching between ODI Ruffians (more durable than foam, but thin and hard) and Ritchey WCS foam (comfy, but fragile) for the last couple of years.

After reading this thread, I'll be stripping the Rogues from my DH bike and giving them a run on the Stumpy on my next XC ride. It's funny - they're bulkier than the Ruffians, so I've always perceived them as DH-only grips, but it kinda makes sense to give 'em a try after all the feeback in this thread.

If I don't like the rogues, I'll look for a set of Oury lockons... or just keep trying to wear out the many sets of Ruffians that I have.

Maebus

Likes Bikes
Hi all,

My name is James from OZRIDERS Australia.

I have had really good feedback with all of the grips and YES you can order direct though the website via the contact page. - Just send me an email.

I am a Melbourne based small business, and so do have a range of shops selling them in Melbourne.

RRP is $20 AUD each pair.

These Grips are much more resilient to wear and tear unlike similar products on the market -plus very comfortable.

www.ozriders.com.au

*Prices may vary depending on the shop who stocks the product.

*I am more than happy to Mail order with anyone in Australia or O.S.

I can guarantee you prompt communication and service.

Try them - You won't look back!

If you are an interstate bike shop I am more than happy to sell direct to you.

Kind Regards

James Maebus
OZRIDERS Australia
www.ozriders.com.au

fletchog

Likes Dirt
I used to use the ritchey foamies back in the day, then switched to oury and love them. Have not tried the lockons.

is it possible to cut down lock on style grips to run with gripshift?

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I used to use the ritchey foamies back in the day, then switched to oury and love them. Have not tried the lockons.

is it possible to cut down lock on style grips to run with gripshift?
No. You have to buy specific grips that are already cut down. The lockon hardware is the same though, so you can often get bonus packs with all the required stuff in one package.

Gripo

Eats Squid
ESI Silicone Foam Grips

Really enjoying these silicone foam grips from ESI. http://www.esigrips.com/Silicone_Grips_Shock_Absorbing.htm

I've been using the thin version called "racers edge" on both of my bikes for several months now. The "silicone foam" has a more rubber like feel to it than the normal foam grips and feels very good under hand. Riding in both the wet and dry and they provide plenty confidence, both bare handed and gloved.

They've worn a lot less than I'd originally thought, especially when compared to ODI ruffians and how my hands wear over them. Naturally they will tear easier than traditional rubber grips but they don't become ragged when they do.

Most importantly they don't slip on the bars which is what I was affraid of when substituting them for the lock-ons that I've always run. Another great benefit is an 80-100g weight saving over normal grips and are good for your carbon fibre bars.