XC Grips

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
+1 on the ESI grips - I run the road kit on my road bike (under the bar tape, couldn't get the colour I wanted) and I'm pretty darn happy with them.

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I agree that ruffians are very similar in feel to the giant lock ons.
I found them to be too hard & too thin (also if you're a hack the bolts are prone to rounding). I also really hate the end caps they come with!
I now use Oury's (non locking).
As others have mentioned the ourys do tend to get a hole in the ends pretty quick. Getting the lock on version would solve this problem though, and putting a 10c piece in the end seems to help a little but not much.
I mount mine using only water these days, once they've dried I have absolutely no issue with slippage. It's always wise to make sure the bar is clean first too - a clean with isopropyl does the trick.

I am thinking of trying something else next time , probably not a lock on though.
The OzRiders website doesn't seem to want to load, I can get as far as 60% only, probably due to slow dialup :(

Last edited:

akashra

Eats Squid
Does anyone have problems with foam grips in wet weather? Ie, do they fall apart or become slippery?

akashra

Eats Squid
^^^Those Ozriders look like a good concept, being hexagonal rather than circular. How would I get a pair? LBS? The website is a little vague on details.
James just posted the following list on the FB group - you can drop into any of these stores to grab a pair.

Total Rush:
345 Punt Road
Richmond VIC 3121
(03) 9421 0070
www.totalrush.com.au

Spoke(n):
112 - 114 Carlisle Street
(Corner of St Kilda Road)
St Kilda VIC 3182
(03) 9537 0522
www.spoken.com.au

Fitzroy Cycles (Fitzroy):
106 Victoria Street
Fitzroy Victoria Australia 3065
(03) 9419 4397
www.fitzroycycles.com.au

KAOS Custom Bikes:
981 Glenhuntly Rd
Caufeild South VIC 3162
(03) 9563 6355
www.kaoscustombikes.com.au

BikeNOW Sth Melbourne:
100 Park Street
South Melbourne VIC 3205
(03) 9696 8588
www.bikenow.com.au

Melbourne Bicycle Centre (Clifton Hill):
37 Queens Parade
Clifton Hill VIC 3068
(03) 9489 5569
www.melbournebicycle.com.au

Pinnacle Cycles:
11 Heatherdale Rd
Ringwood 3134
(opposite heatherdale station)
(03) 9872 5161
www.pinnaclecycles.com.au

Cog Bike Cafe:
4 Clancy Rd
Mt Evelyn VIC
(03) 9736 4999
www.cogbikecafe.com.au

Gripo

Eats Squid
not a new concept

^^^Those Ozriders look like a good concept, being hexagonal rather than circular. How would I get a pair? LBS? The website is a little vague on details.
They look like Ritchey WC grips by another name, good but not a new concept,

Either are great grips but a little too large once on the bars for me.....unless you do some custom sculpturing that is.

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yup - that's why I alternate between lockons and foams. The foams are downright dangerous in the wet.

I'm keen on the Ozriders but is the comment above relevant to them? Are they foam? It mentions High Density but not what high density so I guess it's a foam grip.

Grover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
what about NSW ?
there has been talk of KOM stocking them, so drop in and ask if they've got them. otherwise you can do the direct thing if you need them in a hurry.

I'm keen on the Ozriders but is the comment above relevant to them? Are they foam? It mentions High Density but not what high density so I guess it's a foam grip.
yeah, it's a foam grip. i've run them in the worst wet/muddy conditions. no spinning, no issues. i just sprayed some deodorant (only aerosol i had handy) in them, slid them on and let it dry. they haven't moved.

i have found in the past if you're one to take grips on and off repeatedly then stick to lockons as any other (including ozriders) will not adhere to the bar as well after the first installation.

Some Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's a foam grip... but I don't get why that makes them dangerous in the wet? I prefer foam which I can still grip to slippery rubber.

stevo78

Likes Dirt
oz rider grips

is there anywhere online that u can by ozriders grips ? I live in adelaide and have not found anyone who stocks them!

Macr

Likes Dirt
I've been indecisively switching between ODI Ruffians (more durable than foam, but thin and hard) and Ritchey WCS foam (comfy, but fragile) for the last couple of years.

After reading this thread, I'll be stripping the Rogues from my DH bike and giving them a run on the Stumpy on my next XC ride. It's funny - they're bulkier than the Ruffians, so I've always perceived them as DH-only grips, but it kinda makes sense to give 'em a try after all the feeback in this thread.
Give us feedback Bodin. I think you will be happy. I personally think, these are the median between thick and thin, soft and hard.

I love 'em!
Speaking of which, time to order a pair for the SS.

workmx

Banned
is there anywhere online that u can by ozriders grips ? I live in adelaide and have not found anyone who stocks them!
They can be ordered directly from the Oz Riders site - www.ozriders.com.au

See the post by Maebus on page 4 for details.

Hi all,

My name is James from OZRIDERS Australia.

I have had really good feedback with all of the grips and YES you can order direct though the website via the contact page. - Just send me an email.

I am a Melbourne based small business, and so do have a range of shops selling them in Melbourne.

RRP is $20 AUD each pair.

These Grips are much more resilient to wear and tear unlike similar products on the market -plus very comfortable.

www.ozriders.com.au

*Prices may vary depending on the shop who stocks the product.

*I am more than happy to Mail order with anyone in Australia or O.S.

I can guarantee you prompt communication and service.

Try them - You won't look back!

If you are an interstate bike shop I am more than happy to sell direct to you.

Kind Regards

James Maebus
OZRIDERS Australia
www.ozriders.com.au

Last edited:

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for the posts Farkers.

I'm going to give the Ozriders a look at the lbs. Sound good and I like the idea of supporting a local.

I've noticed people refering to using hairspray but have missed what for or what on. When grips aren't lock on's, are you using harispray on the bar before sliding on the grip? I take it this sticks them on a bit better. What happens when it's time to take them off (I'm not going to swap them often, they'll stay on until they're worn)?

Cheers,

Coaster

Macr

Likes Dirt
Spray hairspray in the grip to aid sliding them on. When it dries it will aid in adhesion, when it is time to get them off, slide a screwdriver under the grip and spray hairspray. Do a lap with the screwie and slide the grip off. I believe it can also hold your hair in place, but I can't back that up!

Gripo

Eats Squid
best way

Spray hairspray in the grip to aid sliding them on. When it dries it will aid in adhesion, when it is time to get them off, slide a screwdriver under the grip and spray hairspray. Do a lap with the screwie and slide the grip off. I believe it can also hold your hair in place, but I can't back that up!
^way too much stuffing around with the great potential to tear the grip or make the hairspray into a lubricant.

better off getting an air compressor with a thin tube attachment to float on/off the grips with air.......best way

Some Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That's all well and good, if you have a compressor. I find hairspray or WD40 works nicely, although as you say unless you are careful you can tear the grips when you remove them. Solution to that is don't remove the grips :).