2008 Year 12 thread

|Matt|

Banned
So its that time again, mid year exams are approaching (for those who have them, not me :p).

What subjects are you doing, and what ENTER score (for VCE students), and TER (I think thats what HSC is?) are you hoping to get? Realistically that is.

I'm doing:

Economics
Legal studies
Literature
History ( I got put in it, I wanted to do political studies but there weren't enough numbers)
Business Management

And I did year 12 Psychology last year, so all up I have 7.

I hope to get an ENTER of 70%. I am planning on moving to Warnambool (about 250KM away from me) and studying Law at Deakin university. The same course at my local Deakin is 94%.

Does anyone know the type of marks I need to get across the year to get 70%?

Good luck people!

Sean

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Was waiting for a thread like this...

My subjects are as follows:
English
Further Maths
Business Management
Woodwork
Visual Communication,
Software Development (completed in 2007 in Year 11)

So far I've got a study score of 42 in IT, so if I keep on that streak (unlikely) I will get a fair good enter score.

No idea what enter I would specifically like though, but I wanna take a year off next year and work in the snow.. then probably go to Tafe and either do Certificate III in Motorsport (yes its a course), or some sort of electrical engineering.

soty

Likes Dirt
If you got straight 40's, from memory, you would ROUGHLY get low 80's for your ENTER.

I'm doing

Maths Methods CAS
Literature
Visual communication/design
Studio Art
Pyschology

Did Art last year, got a very disappointing 36. Considering I got 100% in all my SAC's. Parents ended up asking for a review of my exam, and the head of Art read over it and found a brutally marked question.. GRRR.

Cruisin in all subjects :rolleyes:.

Edit: Forgot to give a target ENTER.. I want to get 90.. no reason in particular, just to prove to myself that i can. Realistically, I think I'll hit around 85 ish.

Last edited:

|Matt|

Banned
If you got straight 40's, from memory, you would ROUGHLY get low 80's for your ENTER.
So would like, 32 get you 70%?

Which texts are you doing for literature?

I'm doing Sense and Sensibility (shocking book, great movie), Antigone and John Donne poetry.

mike-

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm hoping for anything above a 85 TER to get me into Engineering.

Classes:
-Calculus
-Applicable Maths
-Chemistry
-Physics
-English 3A3B

In Perth seems our classes are named quite abit different to over East. I can't work out why Australia does not just have a universal corriculum for each state.

soty

Likes Dirt
So would like, 32 get you 70%?

Which texts are you doing for literature?

I'm doing Sense and Sensibility (shocking book, great movie), Antigone and John Donne poetry.
Yeah roughly sounds about right.

I'm doing Bel Canto, Casablanca, Peter Carey's stories, King Lear and also have done John Donne's poetry.

John Donne is a c***.

THE YETI

Likes Dirt
All this victorian shite seems strange and confusing to me. I'm sitting the HSC with:

Legal studies
Engineering studies
English (advanced)
Math (advanced)
Physics
Chemistry.

Hoping to get myself into engineering but there's alot of work between now and when i pull those marks. Has a UAI within the 70s where i'm looking. That equates very generally to approximately 70% in most of my courses in both assessment and exams without taking into account the scaling that happens. They take into account you class ranking and the ranking of your classs within the state. Is all very difficult to keep track of.

Sean

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm hoping for anything above a 85 TER to get me into Engineering.

Classes:
-Calculus
-Applicable Maths
-Chemistry
-Physics
-English 3A3B

In Perth seems our classes are named quite abit different to over East. I can't work out why Australia does not just have a universal corriculum for each state.
Ouch, that seems like a prick of a year for someone doing relatively easy subjects like me.

One thing that I cannot stand is people who pick on folio subjects, such as woodwork, viscom, art and the like. They have NO IDEA how much work goes into those folios, and it s**ts me when people consider them dumb subjects.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Last years Year 12 thread was awesome! (well, in a mannor of speaking) Make it shine guys and best of luck to you all! Mid-years comming up right?

sockman

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Good luck people!
If you are asking now, its wayyyy too late.

Im doing the HSC ya later this year in NSW.

Heneral Maths
Standard English
Ancient & Modern history
Agriculture

Not sure what I plan to do next year except go overseas for a year...

Hoping for a UAI of around 80 - 90. Proving dificult to live up to my sisters 99.75 so far:eek:

.:Easily:.

Likes Dirt
subjects im doing:

Standard English
Design and Technology
Biology
Maths 2U
Business Studies
Legal Studies-dropped

looking to get a UAI around the mid to high 80's, shouldnt be too hard if i study.

LJohn

Likes Dirt
Hmm, lets see.

I'm doing: Physics
Calculus
Applicable Mathematics
Chemistry
Literature.

I'm not sure what the equivalent courses in Queensland are for those maths courses. (Applicable is roughly maths B, and Calculus is roughly Maths C)

I'm hoping for a TER up around 93 (would be nice), but with a bit of work I reckon I can get that to 97, depending on scaling/exam content.

For Literature we are studying Othello, Handmaid's tale (not great), Heart of Darkness (tedious, but easy for marks), No Sugar, and poems by Gwen Harwood.

To Mike

Literature is where it's at man. 3A3B is the most boring junk you'll ever sit through. (and I agree with the curriculum naming. A little inconsistent)

luke.b

Formerly DH Maniac
70% Matt? Do you mean an ENTER of 70?? It's not a percent thing. It's some wack as scaled percentile thing.

Anyways, here's my run down for the year:

Further Maths
Maths Methods
Physics
PE
English Language

Was doing Chem, but it got a little hard ot fit it all in. Already got a study score of 50 for last years Engineering thing. Hoping to get an Enter of 95, which should leave me open to go do Engineering at Monash or wherever I want to go. Just trying to leave a little bit of leeway so I have all my options open.

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
you guys in wa will probably get alot of scaling up, i know pretty much everytime the people doing tee at my school got a shit result they all got scaled up massively, its bullshit

half those people wouldnt have passed if results wernt scaled up, talk about getting them ready for uni "oh no i got a shit mark, oh well ill get scaled up"

bitterbro

Likes Dirt
I'm doing:
Ancient history
mathematics
business studies
biology
standard english
studies of religeon 1 unit

I got a UAI prediction of 90... it's probably gonna be way off but i'm keen to know what i actually get

Richo 18

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is applicable maths like, everyday uses/relevant to life for most people who don't do sciences/mathematics/enginering. etc... cause I know that <<< that type is Maths A in Queensland, in year 12 apparently Maths B is based mostly on calculus, Maths C is just completely unrelated stuff that takes a bit more outside-the-box-thinking.

Just so you know where I stand by saying that, I'm in Year 10 doing Maths B, Maths C, Physics, Chemistry, Geography and (soon to be dropped) Legal, and (gonna miss it) P.E