World Cup Question?

hamdh

Banned
Hi everyone.

I was just wondering why they have the Nissan UCI in Camberra when everone says that Mt. Buller in the new best place.

Or is the World cup always going to be held there?

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
Hi everyone.

I was just wondering why they have the Nissan UCI in Camberra when everone says that Mt. Buller in the new best place.

Or is the World cup always going to be held there?
Well, not quite everyone...

There is more to the UCI choosing a World Cup location than saying that XXXXXX has a good DH track, or whatever. Things like supporting infrastructure, airport proximity, accommodation, venue layout - and a whole host of other things come into play.

It is also the UCI's current policy that a World Champs venue (Canberra in 2009) has to host a World Cup triple round in the preceding year.

And, one other thing - CORC/Canberra was the only place that put their hand up to do it. Complaining that a particular location didn't get a World Cup when they didn't bid for it is like complaining that you didn't win a mountain bike race because you didn't enter it ;)

Yowie

Likes Dirt
Ouch!

But props to the CORC for bringing an events of this caliber to Australia. I struggle to see anyone else getting the job done.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
Ouch!

But props to the CORC for bringing an events of this caliber to Australia. I struggle to see anyone else getting the job done.
The fact that Buller is covered in snow during the world cup may have something to do with it:)

Likes Dirt
I was told when the uci officials first came to Canberra they weren’t that interested in the hill and more interested in its proximity to the airport. Obviously they where stoked, to not have to have a long drive up dodgy alpine roads to the venue, like some other rounds in Europe etc. Im sure the riders wouldn’t mind a longer drive for a better track. Not having a good at the good work that the club put in, but a mountain bike world cup let along championship, should be held on a mountain .

Last edited:

kezzaM

Likes Dirt
Well, not quite everyone...

There is more to the UCI choosing a World Cup location than saying that XXXXXX has a good DH track, or whatever. Things like supporting infrastructure, airport proximity, accommodation, venue layout - and a whole host of other things come into play.

It is also the UCI's current policy that a World Champs venue (Canberra in 2009) has to host a World Cup triple round in the preceding year.

And, one other thing - CORC/Canberra was the only place that put their hand up to do it. Complaining that a particular location didn't get a World Cup when they didn't bid for it is like complaining that you didn't win a mountain bike race because you didn't enter it ;)
So a world cup round will be held in Canberra in 2010?

dhd

Downhill Direct
Hmmmm Buller.....
Imagine Matti Lehikoinen with two broken wrists and he gets...
"Oh don't worry we can have you to a decent hospital in about 2 hours sir. Just hang on here while we drive down this long windy road.... "
Case closed.

J@se

Breezeway Bandit
Hmmmm Buller.....
"Oh don't worry we can have you to a decent hospital in about 2 hours sir. Just hang on here while we drive down this long windy road.... "
Case closed.
They have things called helicopters now, look into it.:rolleyes:

Do you think there's hospitals next door to the European tracks too?

S.

ex offender
Hmmmm Buller.....
Case closed.
Alternatively, imagine Matti Lehikoinen with no broken wrists because track builders didn't have to put in CONCRETE-TOPPED whoops in order to break up what would otherwise have been yet more pedalling on the already most pedal-heavy track on the WC circuit - in fact a downhill track with uphill pedalling near the bottom - and could instead leave riders on some kind of natural terrain.

However, as said before, Canberra/Stromlo put in a bid, nobody else in Aus did, so no point complaining that the race isn't somewhere else. At the very least, it's a spectator-friendly track (and apparently the XC track is awesome), and since virtually none of us are going to be actually RACING, it doesn't really matter how boring or pedally the track might be to RIDE, and we should instead be grateful that we can go and watch the world's top riders pinning it without booking flights to France/Austria/Italy/Canada/wherever. I went this year and I'd go again next year if I wasn't planning to be OS at the time.

cjaty

Likes Dirt
Im sure without the rain the bottom section of the track would have been totally different and we would of herd far less complants but is there any talk of changing the lower section and is this even possible.Ive never been there but Im sure with the crew who built it there's probably nothing wrong with it.

PLUCAS

Likes Dirt
Im sure without the rain the bottom section of the track would have been totally different and we would of herd far less complants but is there any talk of changing the lower section and is this even possible.Ive never been there but Im sure with the crew who built it there's probably nothing wrong with it.
All to true, times would have been 10 to 15 seconds quicker I reckon.
They have been wingin like bitches about Canberra in some uk mag/s
Get over it, it's a good venue and its a funn track and it's a bike race they have peddles for a reason. if you don,t wanna peddle piss off and buy a moto they are cheaper anyway (relatively speaking)

kezzaM

Likes Dirt
All to true, times would have been 10 to 15 seconds quicker I reckon.
They have been wingin like bitches about Canberra in some uk mag/s
Get over it, it's a good venue and its a funn track and it's a bike race they have peddles for a reason. if you don,t wanna peddle piss off and buy a moto they are cheaper anyway (relatively speaking)
They aren't cheaper...

I agree with you though. It's good to have variety in the WC series. By having various tracks the overall winner is the best all round rider.

dhd

Downhill Direct
Alternatively, imagine Matti Lehikoinen with no broken wrists because track builders didn't have to put in CONCRETE-TOPPED whoops in order to break up what would otherwise have been yet more pedalling on the already most pedal-heavy track on the WC circuit - in fact a downhill track with uphill pedalling near the bottom - and could instead leave riders on some kind of natural terrain.

However, as said before, Canberra/Stromlo put in a bid, nobody else in Aus did, so no point complaining that the race isn't somewhere else. At the very least, it's a spectator-friendly track (and apparently the XC track is awesome), and since virtually none of us are going to be actually RACING, it doesn't really matter how boring or pedally the track might be to RIDE, and we should instead be grateful that we can go and watch the world's top riders pinning it without booking flights to France/Austria/Italy/Canada/wherever. I went this year and I'd go again next year if I wasn't planning to be OS at the time.
I've had beers, wrote a big rant and have come to the conclusion that I'd rather ride buller anyway.......So I edited it in the interests of not starting WW3!

Last edited:

S.

ex offender
it's a bike race they have peddles for a reason.
True, but we already have racing disciplines that are primarily based around how hard you can pedal and how fit you are - road and XC for starters, and to a lesser extent BMX/4X. Why try to turn arguably the most heavily skill-based form of bike racing into a form that's covered by another discipline anyway?

Besides that, the fact that they have pedals doesn't mean that the competition needs to be focused on how hard you can pedal. Nobody puts a 300m uphill sprint in an observed trials course and says "well you have pedals for a reason" now do they?

DHD: apologies if my words seemed harsh, I don't mean to sound like I'm taking too much anger out on you or the CORC guys. I had fun at the WC this year and like I said, I'd love to go again next year :)

dhd

Downhill Direct
They have things called helicopters now, look into it.:rolleyes:

Do you think there's hospitals next door to the European tracks too?
I think you'll find it's one (only one) of the requirements that there is one within 15 minutes. Ever been injured at Buller? I have.

Likes Dirt
Apart from proximity to an airport, the UCIs only other requirement for Australia to host a round of the world cup / champs. Was how safely, hundreds of rowdy pissed aussie spectators could descend the track after finals. Imagine the carnage if the gradient was as steep as Champery....

Last edited:

S.

ex offender
Apart from proximity to an airport, the UCIs only other requirement for Australia to host a round of the world cup / champs. Was how safely, hundreds of rowdy pissed aussie spectators could descend the track after finals. Imagine the carnage if the gradient was as steep as Champery....
Rumour has it that Champery may get the 2011 Champs though... and they still had tons of spectators arse-sliding their way down the hill (literally - in some places there wasn't a choice) after the world cup there anyway. But either way it wouldn't be at all difficult to cut in a walking track for spectators if it was really required.