2010 Boxxers - Pulled them apart today.

santacruzkid

Likes Dirt
I do agree. I have the 2010 Teams mine were as stiff as untill I put the softer spring in them. Feel pretty good to me. But on the other hand 2 mates have the 2010 Teams and they are as stiff as hell. They have the same settings/spring as mine same spring and still feel completely different.

Also he has tried to adjust the rebound both ways and they are stil really slow. anyone else have this problem?

Ben Oz

Likes Dirt
The BOS can fail just like any other fork/shock, don't think they are completely immune to it. Problem is when your in Whistler parts for boxxers are very easy to come by, BOS I'm not so sure.
Agree - im taking spares just in case.

.BP.

Likes Dirt
I just pulled the lower off mine to find they only had splash lube in one side that i could see, also very little grease on the seals.

I just packed some prep-m grease and some different fork oil back in and they now feel much better and im guessing they are only going to get better when fully worn in.

Also has anyone else had a lot of trouble trying to get the little c clip which holds the rebound adjuster on, i just spent about 30 minutes trying?

Regan

Eats Squid
Also he has tried to adjust the rebound both ways and they are stil really slow. anyone else have this problem?
Yep, I had the same problem with mine when they came out of the box. Pulled the rebound piston apart and found that some how the pin in the centre they winds up and down was jammed/fused just over half way on. Sent back to monza and they replace the piston. All good now...

VTSS350

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Problem is when your in Whistler parts for boxxers are very easy to come by, .
Totally agree. Boxxer parts availability and ease of service is a huge advantage over any other forks on the market!

Also has anyone else had a lot of trouble trying to get the little c clip which holds the rebound adjuster on, i just spent about 30 minutes trying?
I found it very easy. I lined the points of the C clip up with the slot(this had the c clip sitting on a slight angle) and then pushed the opposite side down. The C clip was then engaged and lined up. It was then just a matter of pushing it on evenley. I used two small flat blade screw drivers to do this.

chops

Likes Dirt
hey guys,mine seem to feel the same way.I went for a ride yesterday and they felt abit sticky at about70mm of travel and didnt seem to absorb small bumps.I havent took mine apart yet but you dont need too to tell there isnt much oil in them.

dilzy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ha Ben you'll take any opportunity to post up your steed.

Honestly, the new WC's have only 10cc in each lower. Frankly, that's stuff all and will contaminate quick smart. I am a sicko who likes pulling gear apart and stuffing around with it all the time and even I don't like pulling my forks apart once every few lightly moist rides (which is what they'll require to maintain optimum performance).

I'm currently enjoying my Zokes ride after ride. These new Boxxers are technically brilliant, but I'd still take an Idylle or the new 888wc Evo any time I reckon.

VTSS350

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Honestly, the new WC's have only 10cc in each lower. Frankly, that's stuff all and will contaminate quick smart. QUOTE]

Thats all they need. Its only there for lubrication. Its the same with all pre 2010 boxxer WCs.

It wasnt a problem in the 06,07,08 and 09 world cups and wont be with the 2010s either.

jazza_wil

Likes Dirt
I do agree. I have the 2010 Teams mine were as stiff as untill I put the softer spring in them. Feel pretty good to me. But on the other hand 2 mates have the 2010 Teams and they are as stiff as hell. They have the same settings/spring as mine same spring and still feel completely different.

yeah i have that problem. serviced them last night and noticed the bushing that the rebound runs through is really tight and sticky. put some slick honey around the o-ring but didnt make a ifference. should be alright after thebushing wares in a bit tho. rebound turned full on, both begining and end stroke, and full off made no massive difference. better not be fucked, going overseas next weekend... for a long time!

Dymalla

Likes Dirt
Yep, I had the same problem with mine when they came out of the box. Pulled the rebound piston apart and found that some how the pin in the centre they winds up and down was jammed/fused just over half way on. Sent back to monza and they replace the piston. All good now...
WHO REMEMBERS APRIL FOOL'S DAY.
I've owned a set of 2010 teams since 4/5/2010; unfortunately they have only been here for 2 days of that period.
One day for the beginning stroke rebound to break, the second day since they returned yesterday.
PERSONAL OPINION
Do not ride these forks prior to a lowers service.
For those with sluggish rebound; it is broken.

On a positive note, i still believe they will be an awesome fork, and a big rap to the boys at monza; it's clear they lubed the lowers on re-assembly, they feel infinitely better.

Finally, to S. i know some good lawyers too.

AMBURGERS

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ordered some shiny red Worldcups today :D.

going to take them apart and lube/grease them up if they need it, but i'm guessing they will with the feedback in this thread... bit of a shame, would of prefered to just be able to ride them but oh well.

red_dog

Likes Dirt
Helped pull a mates Teams apart today - 10ml was in the drive side as required - but the non-drive that is supposed to have 40ml had NONE.

We got some judy butter onto the seals and bushes, and re-issued the 15wt oil in both lowers.

I'll have a full service done on mine tomorrow hopefully

Very poor and just goes to show you should always check

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This is pretty piss poor that rock shox are sending out their forks like this from the factory! have they heard of quality control?

Viv92

Eats Squid
This is exactly the reason I don't buy new things the second they come onto the market. Give them a year to get their shit together, even if you have to be behind the cutting edge. The lube stuff isn't that bad because it's not a hard job to fix but the broken rebound is pretty poor.

VTSS350

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The lube stuff isn't that bad because it's not a hard job to fix but the broken rebound is pretty poor.
I agree about the lube, but I think some of the broken rebound problems are caused by people with no idea.

Landon

Likes Dirt
Slow Rebound

The jammed beginning stroke rebound needle is a real problem that will be fixed by Monza on the odd chance that it occurs. The needle on some new forks has been seemingly jammed just outside the adjustment threads so that the needle doesn't move up or down when turning the beginning stroke adjuster. This causes all rebound flow to go through the ending stroke preloaded shim stack. The rebound will be very slow and not respond to adjustment.

If this is the case with any Mission Control Boxxer, the fork will be repaired by Monza.

Xmetal

Give this man a job, we want pics!
mmm, This is making me stress about my 08 Races - is there a 'how-to' anywhere on how to check for this problem?

The other thing with my Race fork is the compression is either 'on' or 'off' there's very little middle ground.