2010 Boxxers - Pulled them apart today.

Viv92

Eats Squid
mmm, This is making me stress about my 08 Races - is there a 'how-to' anywhere on how to check for this problem?

The other thing with my Race fork is the compression is either 'on' or 'off' there's very little middle ground.
All Boxxers are like that with compression. EDIT pre '10 Boxxers... if other mico forks are anything to go by though the compression adjusters won't really change what the fork feels like at all

It basically goes none-->none-->still not really any-->a little bit---> heaps--> way too much --> lockout. Races have the floodgate set on fully closed as well so unless you want to do Udis nut mod or upgrade the damper you basically have to run them on very little LSC unless you want them to feel like crap (better of two evils sort of thing though).

dilzy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You can give yourself a little finer tuning by removing the detent balls under the comp knob.

On a 2010 boxxer note, I felt a mates teams today on their first or second ride and they felt like absolute arse, so it seams there are enough that it's a fairly common thing. Congratufuckinglations SRAM. Once again another company is too bloody lazy to do proper QC on their products. If I owned a set I wouldn't service them until the 25hr's is up and then take them to SRAM and get them replaced entirely just to cost them the cash because someone needs the testicle clamp.

VTSS350

Likes Bikes and Dirt
. If I owned a set I wouldn't service them until the 25hr's is up and then take them to SRAM and get them replaced entirely just to cost them the cash because someone needs the testicle clamp.
What a load of crap.

Why would they replace them. All they need is the seals lubed and fresh oil in the lowers.

dilzy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What a load of crap.

Why would they replace them. All they need is the seals lubed and fresh oil in the lowers.
Because after 25hrs of riding with no oil the bushings and the stantions would be rooted. I'm just very very over pooly tested and qc'd products.

S.

ex offender
Because after 25hrs of riding with no oil the bushings and the stantions would be rooted. I'm just very very over pooly tested and qc'd products.
haha, while I'm inclined to agree from an idealistic point of view, from a practical point of view... you're in the wrong sport. Consumers are the test bench here.

Viv92

Eats Squid
haha, while I'm inclined to agree from an idealistic point of view, from a practical point of view... you're in the wrong sport. Consumers are the test bench here.
One thing, 90% of people who own these forks probably can't do the procedure that's needed. :eek: If they have to pay their bike shop ~$75 to do it that's some money that they shouldn't have had to spend.

VTSS350

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The stantions will be fine. There is enough oil /lube in there to protect the stantions. They just feel a whole heap better after a proper service.

If you ride them for 25hours and take them in for a service all the will do is lube the forks. You may aswell do it now so you can start riding and getting used to the forks the way they should feel.

If you want a fork that works very very well - and comes from the factory ready to go - no need to pull apart. The build quality is exquisite. Then BOS.
Im dam lucky I got fed up waiting for boxxers and got a set - it will pay off even more when we go to whistler - 3 weeks at whistler with minimal / no servicing.
Thanks to Rob at SPRUNG (bike shop and sus service)
Also Rouler imports.

Last time I went = boxxers wc = 1 full service a week and after 3/4 days riding they felt poo.

Expect a full review on them soon.
Im in your boat I got fed up with waiting as well and opted for the BOS Idyle RaRe im fitting them next week.
How do the feel?

Ive just put a stoy shock in the rear and if thats anything to go on the forks will be off the hook.

djtrazer

Likes Dirt
Bos

I cannot believe that those new Boxxers need to be re built before you can use em....Mass produced rubbish! In most other industries if you bought a product that didnt work out of the box u would demand a refund right? Why should these forks be any different. I reckon anyone that exoeriences this crap service should be requesting a refund!
I know at least 3 people who have these new Boxxers and are they are crap!

I highly recommend BOS or Fox - Straight out of the box they feel amazing. You get what you pay for!

Landon

Likes Dirt
Dry Seals

A simple lack of lubrication on the seals and pretty ordinary semi bath oil has been a fact with most Boxxers of recent years. The oil somehow dries on the exposed inner legs and the seals are coated with very little grease from the box. This isn't going to damage the fork, but they certainly won't work as well as they should. My 09 SID was exactly the same.

To get the most from any Rock Shox fork, the semi bath oil should be changed and the seals greased from new. It's certainly not a unique requirement of the 2010 Boxxer. It would be nice if Rock Shox would improve things in this department.

daever

lunatic rant extraordinaire
Yep, my teams felt shit when I first got them, Pulled off the lowers and regreased the seals and added a good amount of splash lube in the bottom. Feel much better now.

anyway, all the adjustment nobs are very hard to turn and my low speed compression AND beginning stroke rebound adjustment are both jammed.

not impressed.

SPU

Likes Dirt
I cannot believe that those new Boxxers need to be re built before you can use em....Mass produced rubbish! In most other industries if you bought a product that didnt work out of the box u would demand a refund right? Why should these forks be any different. I reckon anyone that exoeriences this crap service should be requesting a refund!

I highly recommend BOS or Fox - Straight out of the box they feel amazing. You get what you pay for!
Wow bling! how much did you end up paying for it? Can you post pictures/review when you get them?

Cheers

HHH

Likes Dirt
WHO REMEMBERS APRIL FOOL'S DAY.
I've owned a set of 2010 teams since 4/5/2010; unfortunately they have only been here for 2 days of that period.
One day for the beginning stroke rebound to break, the second day since they returned yesterday.
PERSONAL OPINION
Do not ride these forks prior to a lowers service.
For those with sluggish rebound; it is broken.

On a positive note, i still believe they will be an awesome fork, and a big rap to the boys at monza; it's clear they lubed the lowers on re-assembly, they feel infinitely better.

Finally, to S. i know some good lawyers too.
I,m trying real hard to like them.

My new races felt ordinary straight out of the box so I serviced the lowers & lubricated the seals as suggested. Made a world of difference to the general feel. However, Spring rate feels unusually firm with red spring so changed to Yellow. Same feeling. Also a Knock present on return, & no its not the heatshrinkon the spring, grease or spacers.

Rebound dial turns and appears to function but does not change rebound settings.

My mate has the Teams which he serviced at the same time with the same spring in and they feel worlds apart. Will have to send off to factory tomorrow.

Last edited:

S.

ex offender
One thing, 90% of people who own these forks probably can't do the procedure that's needed. :eek: If they have to pay their bike shop ~$75 to do it that's some money that they shouldn't have had to spend.
I completely agree, I'm just saying that demanding a refund over something that you can fix with $2 worth of oil and 20 minutes of your time is:
a) a bit of an overreaction
b) ignoring the fact that the entire bike industry is retarded and does stuff like this, not just Rockshox. Hell Fox used to ship forks with compression adjusters that cost you an extra $600 or so but didn't actually change the feel of the fork, Marzocchi used to have a habit of not putting enough oil in their forks from factory (oh and the first gen 35mm 888s cracked lowers, 1st gen 38mm 888s all had huge play out of the box), Manitou gave plenty of us shocks that leaked before they even got sat on in the shop, first gen BOS shocks had top-out issues, need I go on?

You can take it back and have a big cry about it, or you can accept that you bought a first-model-year item that was 99% likely to have some kind of issue (since they pretty well always do) and perform the relatively easy fix of adding some grease and oil. No it's not ideal and you have every right to whinge about it, but whingeing won't actually solve anything, and you may well miss the potential to own a freaking awesome fork if you ask for a refund instead of spending the small amount of time and money fixing the issue. "Wah wah other industries aren't like this"... bullshit they're not, try any other high performance race equipment and see if their first-run gear is any more reliable than DH race stuff. That, and I'm sure Monza would be more than willing to help anyone who purchased a new Boxxer and wasn't happy with it out of the box - that's what warranty is for.

AMBURGERS

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I completely agree, I'm just saying that demanding a refund over something that you can fix with $2 worth of oil and 20 minutes of your time is:
a) a bit of an overreaction
b) ignoring the fact that the entire bike industry is retarded and does stuff like this, not just Rockshox. Hell Fox used to ship forks with compression adjusters that cost you an extra $600 or so but didn't actually change the feel of the fork, Marzocchi used to have a habit of not putting enough oil in their forks from factory (oh and the first gen 35mm 888s cracked lowers, 1st gen 38mm 888s all had huge play out of the box), Manitou gave plenty of us shocks that leaked before they even got sat on in the shop, first gen BOS shocks had top-out issues, need I go on?

You can take it back and have a big cry about it, or you can accept that you bought a first-model-year item that was 99% likely to have some kind of issue (since they pretty well always do) and perform the relatively easy fix of adding some grease and oil. No it's not ideal and you have every right to whinge about it, but whingeing won't actually solve anything, and you may well miss the potential to own a freaking awesome fork if you ask for a refund instead of spending the small amount of time and money fixing the issue. "Wah wah other industries aren't like this"... bullshit they're not, try any other high performance race equipment and see if their first-run gear is any more reliable than DH race stuff. That, and I'm sure Monza would be more than willing to help anyone who purchased a new Boxxer and wasn't happy with it out of the box - that's what warranty is for.
i think it's more that alot of people don't know how to take apart there own forks (and replace oil and grease), than they can't be bothered to. So they expect they're forks to be ready to go as soon as they get them, and then are pissed off because they feel shit, and they don't know whats wrong with them. Imagine if this thread hadn't been made, alot of people (including me) wouldn't have even thought of checking the oil and seals. Thankfully i did and managed to replace oil and grease the seals my self, wich yes was piss easy.

I agree with you though ;).

Dymalla

Likes Dirt

Yeah, most of them feel like crap out of the box. Mine did and I know a few other peoples who did. All you need to do is service them and they absolutely shit all over the Pre-2010 Boxxers. The base settings which you can find on the tuning manual on the Rockshox website help out a lot too. Yeah, its a big issue and I'm sure SRAM/Rockshox knows about it now but people complaining about it won't make it better. Just like S. said its not the first time its happened and its not the worst thing thats happened.

Personally I hate Fox forks - I've found maybe 1 or 2 sets that feel as plush as old boxxers and the adjustments on them make very little difference - IMO they don't even compare to the new boxxers.

BOS on the other hand is good... If your prepared to spend that much.

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i think it's more that alot of people don't know how to take apart there own forks (and replace oil and grease), than they can't be bothered to. So they expect they're forks to be ready to go as soon as they get them, and then are pissed off because they feel shit, and they don't know whats wrong with them. Imagine if this thread hadn't been made, alot of people (including me) wouldn't have even thought of checking the oil and seals. Thankfully i did and managed to replace oil and grease the seals my self, wich yes was piss easy.

This pretty much sums up what the problem is.......

When people shell out hard earned $ for a new model car, for example, there are recalls and issues that the dealership fixes(most of the time;)) . It is probably wise to buy the gen II version of the product as all the niggles a re generally sorted out.

By the way...... I use Fox !!!

I would be pissed though, if i bought said product and it turned out that I had to service it BEFORE using it !!!! :(

AMBURGERS

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This pretty much sums up what the problem is.......

When people shell out hard earned $ for a new model car, for example, there are recalls and issues that the dealership fixes(most of the time;)) . It is probably wise to buy the gen II version of the product as all the niggles a re generally sorted out.

By the way...... I use Fox !!!

I would be pissed though, if i bought said product and it turned out that I had to service it BEFORE using it !!!! :(
yeah, i think Rockshox/SRAM need to release a small service manual on exactly how to do the oil replacement and seal greasing (just on the net), and how to uninstall and re-install the upper and lower legs (lowers and stauncions). Just because they need to realise there mistake and then reassure the customers that it's only a small service that needs doing. (not a complete re build and service wich the normal service manual tries to take you through...

jazza_wil

Likes Dirt
yeah, i think Rockshox/SRAM need to release a small service manual on exactly how to do the oil replacement and seal greasing (just on the net), and how to uninstall and re-install the upper and lower legs (lowers and stauncions). Just because they need to realise there mistake and then reassure the customers that it's only a small service that needs doing. (not a complete re build and service wich the normal service manual tries to take you through...
try looking on there web site first.
http://sram.com/en/service/rockshox/tech_manuals.php

Last edited: