2010 Boxxers - Pulled them apart today.

VTSS350

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Today I striped down my 2010 boxxer world cups. ( I tore my clavical at oxford falls 2 weeks ago so I am really board)

First thing I noticed was that one of the legs was almost completly dry. It should of had 10ccs of 15w oil it.

I pulled the lowers off and the oil seals and wiper seals were dry as a nuns nasty. I have got part numbers now for the oil seals so I can sorce spare parts.

I will be rebuilding them with slick honey and the proper amount of oil in the lowers. Hopefully they will fell smoother.

A few things that I noticed that are different from the old world cups.

The air spring is around 55mm longer and now has a floating negative air piston. There is a top out bumper under the floating piston.

It is best to have a flat 24mm spanner (no more than 3mm thick) to pull the compression cartridge out. The 24mm cap is under the compression adjuster. It is best to turn compression fully on. This moves the blue cap up and allows the spanner in.

The begining and ending stroke rebound nobs are held on by a retaining clip. The clip needs to be prised off to allow the bottom bolt to come out. I think I need a spare one of these. If I am ever rebuilding the forks after a few beers and think it will be very easy to loose.

Landon

Likes Dirt
Lube

Yeah the standard oil used in the lower legs seems to dry out on the seals and upper tubes. It's pretty ordinary stuff. A nice coat of Slick Honey on the seals and fresh oil makes things work much better. I rebuilt mine before I installed them.

.BP.

Likes Dirt
I changed the spring in my teams and there is half a tube of grease in with the spring so theres no shortage in there, but the stauntions do seam realy dry compared to other forks.

VTSS350

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I changed the spring in my teams and there is half a tube of grease in with the spring so theres no shortage in there, but the stauntions do seam realy dry compared to other forks.
Yeah, thats to keep the spring quiet as well.

My seals had almost no lube at all. It is well worth pulling them down and putting slick honey in there.

.BP.

Likes Dirt
Could that be one of the reasons why mine dont feel very sensitive to small repeditive bumps, even with trying a heap of different settings?

I am kind of dissapointed with mine, im thinking should have saved my money and stuck to my 66s.

VTSS350

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Could that be one of the reasons why mine dont feel very sensitive to small repeditive bumps, even with trying a heap of different settings?

I am kind of dissapointed with mine, im thinking should have saved my money and stuck to my 66s.

Possibly. I will be rebuilding mine tomorrow. Will let you know if they feel any better. How many runs have you done on them?

.BP.

Likes Dirt
Not too many some where around 10 or so, yeah i will leave it abit longer until they wear in. I realy hope they get better.

Landon

Likes Dirt
Not too many some where around 10 or so, yeah i will leave it abit longer until they wear in. I realy hope they get better.
My mate has a set of Teams and they felt pretty ordinary till my bro changed the lubrication oil and greased the seals with Slick Honey. They feel like a totally different fork now.

mullan2304

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My mate has a set of Teams and they felt pretty ordinary till my bro changed the lubrication oil and greased the seals with Slick Honey. They feel like a totally different fork now.

Yep. Dog crap before you and Regan got them. Sexy naked girl pillow fight after.

jazza_wil

Likes Dirt
First thing I noticed was that one of the legs was almost completly dry. It should of had 10ccs of 15w oil it.

I pulled the lowers off and the oil seals and wiper seals were dry as a nuns nasty.
thats shithouse. you pay a lot of money for a product, you expect it to be in good working order. not have to service it once you get home from the bike shop were you just brought it. iv had mine for 2 weeks now and specialy after riding eildon last weekend im not impressed at all. ill change the oil and see how dry everything is, hopefully it makes a difference.

ozzy osbourne

Likes Bikes and Dirt
thats shithouse. you pay a lot of money for a product, you expect it to be in good working order. not have to service it once you get home from the bike shop were you just brought it. iv had mine for 2 weeks now and specialy after riding eildon last weekend im not impressed at all. ill change the oil and see how dry everything is, hopefully it makes a difference.
So you did a get a pair,
Sounds a bit poor that they are being put together shitly
Be interesting to see if its not just you

VTSS350

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's all new Boxxers. Once they have been properly serviced they are awesome. Boxxers have been like this for years.
Yep, I put them back together today and they are as smooth as butter. Gone is that stiff feel replace by a very smooth action.

.BP.

Likes Dirt
Do you think it would be right just to take the lowers off and put a bit of grease on the seals and a bit of fork oil in the botom for splash lube?

Will this improve them or do they need a full service?

Also is it only splash lube in the lower, can i take them off with out loosing all the fluid?

Last edited:

VTSS350

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Do you think it would be right just to take the lowers off and put a bit of grease on the seals and a bit of fork oil in the botom for splash lube?

Will this improve them or do they need a full service?

Also is it only splash lube in the lower, can i take them off with out loosing all the fluid?
Yep, just take the lowers off. Prise up the seals and lube them with slick honey. There should be 10mm of oil in the bottom of both legs. Replace what is in there with better fluid. My forks didnt have much oil in the legs at all.

Jzx90

Likes Dirt
hmmm.... might explain why my world cups feel shitty.
After riding someones totem solo airs that had just been serviced, I was expecting the 2010 wc's to feel just as good, was a bit disappointed when they didn't, thought it was just the "wearing in" process. Kinda felt "dry" as you push them down if that makes sense.

Think i'll be dropping my bike in for a service when I get time.

Dene Dweller

Likes Dirt
I've got Teams and they feel mint, although at the last local race another bloke had some and they felt shite. Luck of the draw?

I finally found the service manual yesterday on the net so will pull them apart in the next couple of weeks.

Ben Oz

Likes Dirt
If you want a fork that works very very well - and comes from the factory ready to go - no need to pull apart. The build quality is exquisite. Then BOS.
Im dam lucky I got fed up waiting for boxxers and got a set - it will pay off even more when we go to whistler - 3 weeks at whistler with minimal / no servicing.
Thanks to Rob at SPRUNG (bike shop and sus service)
Also Rouler imports.

Last time I went = boxxers wc = 1 full service a week and after 3/4 days riding they felt poo.

Expect a full review on them soon.

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The BOS can fail just like any other fork/shock, don't think they are completely immune to it. Problem is when your in Whistler parts for boxxers are very easy to come by, BOS I'm not so sure.