Scott 24hr 2009

rangie

Likes Dirt
Think I've got one convert... he's on a dually but took the might Caffiene 29er for a little spin and loved it :) Now if I can only convince him to buy my frame so I can get that Flash 29er frame I've been eyeing off (c'mon, get rid of the Scale... you know you want to...)
well done ! best to pass the love around too :)

yeah, that flash looks like it could be the goods...dont think frames will be available atleast till 1st qtr next year.....do tell if you know more.

sumgy, accidently rubbing wheels or whatever is just a racing incident to be expected in my book. Sliding into others with brakes locked up or some stupid overtaking manouvre when there is NO space for one more bike let alone two is NOT on :mad:

another pet hate is when you let one guy throu, and he says one more and then just as you are resuming a racing line, out of nowhere another barges through without a sound :-(

cha_cha_

Likes Dirt
schools girl crying on side of track cos some guy rode her off the track :-( not cool guys. hope the 5 seconds you saved makes you a 'better' rider.

we should put numbers on the back of bikes and dock teams 5 laps per incident with top offenders lists drawn up for event. If the timing was spot on, maybe then stu could highlight these 'gentleman' as they come through transition in future laps. This would stop a lot, if not all of these wannabes
:mad:
I think something should be done to protect and improve the experience for younger and slower riders and rear number plates are probably a good place to start.

I don't like the sound of the name and shame idea and dishing out lap penalties probably wouldn't do anything to change people's behaviours. Perhaps a motorsport style clerk of the course could be appointed to speak to 'offenders' and take actions accordingly.

Bottom line is that no one wants to cause crashes, they're all accidents caused in most cases by fatigue and bad judgement and in a few cases by impatience and arrogance. There will always be incidents, I just want to see them minimized rather than have people hung, drawn and quartered over 1 mistake that we've all probably been responsible for in the past.

My 2c anyway...

gixer7

Likes Dirt
I personally had no issues with anyone out there although I accidentally rubbed wheels with someone in front of me. Sorry again to you if you are reading this.
Was that by any chance over the back after Pork Barrel early on in the race going up a pinch climb? Forgot to add - whoever it was it was pretty minor and nothing that you really would not expect at some point in 24 hours on such a challenging track.

My personal mea culpa was on the last lap, 3/4 way up the switchbacks. I made a clean pass which I then managed to royally screw up (lost the front in thick dust) and balked the guy I was passing. His handlebar hit his thigh. I stopped to make sure he was alright but I think he was in a fair bit of pain. My humblest of apologes if you are reading this.

Last edited:

Iron Horse Maiden

Cannon Fodder
Thanks for a great Me

What a great ride. Rather than harp on and on...actually I think I will....

Things i loved;

• Support of the schools teams. It was especially great to see all the girls out there giving it a good go in a couple of years they might even give Jess a run for her money
  • The female single speeding rigid rider - winner of your own category!
  • I loved the plates for the back of the bikes, it was great to get up behind a solo rider and have a chat and give a little bit of well deserved cheer (as well as feel a little guilty about sitting behind the wheel of someone who has riden twice as much as you).
  • The patience of the fast guys/girls. It was pretty congested but I only had one narly incedent and I'm sure that was probably a social rider who loaded up on the roids befor the race.
  • The campsite - we were track side, had two marques, great bunch of friends, and we had a big gas heater. It was almost as good as being at home (actually ignore that last comment).
  • The track - thanks Mullet and others for all the time and effort getting the track ready. It was obvious that a lot of work went into smooth out parts of the course. It really made for a good mix of technical riding and just good old endurance (climb, climb, climb) work. Although I have to say I loved the day lap, get the the hard climbing out of the way and then have a rewarding downhill followed by a fun meander back to the campsite. (This comment applies to all but that nasty 3km climb back away from camp), lucky wheelie challenge was on - did that guy really wheelie for that long? And did he stop to claim his beer?

...I could just keep ranting but as a last note, Sven and Jas you rock!

Things I didn't love;
  • My level of fitness - Why can't I smash out sub hour laps - life just isn't fair.
  • Today's sore back - I really think the race organisers should do something to rectify this issue.
  • Not seeing the happy/grumpy face of Russ when you make it back into the pit stop.
  • That last climb out of camp (sorry Mullet).

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
Perhaps a motorsport style clerk of the course could be appointed to speak to 'offenders' and take actions accordingly.
There is, that's what the Commissaire's job is (at least one of them). But in the end it's hard enough to identify people in a race with 100 starters let alone 2500, so while words can be had it's hard to take any further action.

Cornik

Likes Bikes
Bloke

To the bloke who hit my bars on a fire road at 3.00am in the morning - thanks for the double hammy cramps that struck when my ass hit the groud.

It was pretty funny really he was lke are you OK and I was arrgggghhh - aarrrgggghhh hanging on to my hammies, I think he was worried I broke something.

Same same on the numbers on track, It was a little over the top but did make for a great view of the mountain at night

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Was that by any chance over the back after Pork Barrel early on in the race going up a pinch climb?
Could have been.
I actually did it twice once time to an SS'er and once up near the top somewhere.
I also need to apologise to the same SS'er who called me through near the 4X track but I did not hear him and he had to yell at me to go. :eek:

orchie

Likes Dirt
Great event. Those guys doing sub one hour laps are in another league - soloists are from another planet I'm sure.

As one of the slower riders on track I didn't have any incidents worth speaking of while being passed, a few would simply call track, while most just told me to wait until there was a place for an easy pass and then called thanks on their way past.

Thanks to whoever shouted that I'd lost my multi tool, karma came around when I found a mobile phone on track and was able to return it.

Bring on next year :)

Grant

Olly

Cannon Fodder
Great Weekend

I rode in a men’s team of 4 and we had an awesome time. We had to get some last minute ring-ins due to injuries but in the end we got a good little team together. We also blooded one rider with it being his first ever MTB race and he loved it. He ended the weekend with about 5 dressings on his legs courtesy of the St John’s guys and was asking me when the next race is.

I found the course to be a little packed mostly on the cockatoo switchbacks and skyline at night. The only time I got frustrated at another rider was when I was sitting on the back of a 10 man train going down skyline and some dude comes up screaming “RIDER, RIDER, FAST RIDER, TRACK ETC”. When it is like that and the train is still moving fairly quickly, everyone would have to stop and let him go round. I got sick of him bitching at me and let him through, only for him to get stuck between me and the next guy. What is the accepted etiquette in this situation?

At one stage our weekend almost didn’t happen as we arrived to rego at 10:40 (it closed at 10:30) and were told “It is closed, you can not enter”. Myself and about 10 others in the same boat immediately asked to see the event manager, they got him on the phone and he instructed them to let us in. I understand that we were late but it was accidental and to be told you can not enter seems way out of the spirit of a competition like this. When we came out of the rego tent another 10 people were waiting, now in the same situation we were in a few minutes ago being told too bad you’re not racing. When your team has paid over $500 dollars to enter, that sort of diplomacy can make the blood boil a little.

That aside, we had a great weekend. I found the majority of riders to be really courteous. Some were even too courteous, pulling over too early on the climb at night. I then felt oblidged to pass and would have to dig really deep to get by only to suffer the next 100m up the hill trying to recover a little. We were camped right next to the A/B line jump on the side of the 4 cross track and probably saw about 20 big stacks. One of the best was on a rigid single speed. It looked like most people were able to ride away so hopefully no serious injuries. The majority of people who stacked took it too slowly or tried to roll it. Another guy took the jump and landed well with not front tyre, he must have a lot of money or plenty of spare front rims! That jump was the last great part of the track before the climb back through the camping area, it sucked every last bit of strength from my legs every lap. Considering the length of the track, only having one bit I dreaded riding was pretty good.

Oh and how much fun is double dissolution, especially if you get a clear run!

Cheers

Olly

dr.evil

Likes Dirt
It was a great event. With plenty of happy people out there on the track. Our team all went solo this year and enjoyed the chance to hang out in solo alley with all those amazing riders. We all finished and managed to fit way more laps in than if we were a team. One of the 'team' managed 21 laps - but he is crazy.

The real purpose of the post was to mention that Sportograf have put a few shots of the race up - while they sort the other thousands of photos. Here http://www.sportograf.de/en/shop/event/668

Cheers.

Last edited:

EzyLee

Likes Dirt
[*]The female single speeding rigid rider - winner of your own category!
She is a deadset legend. I recognised her from winning the Mogo race and found out she lives in the same suburb as me. Every time I went around I yelled out "GO KAMBAH!!!" She always seemed to be in a happy place.

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The only time I got frustrated at another rider was when I was sitting on the back of a 10 man train going down skyline and some dude comes up screaming “RIDER, RIDER, FAST RIDER, TRACK ETC”.
About 8am Sunday morning??
If not, I had the same thing happen at a different spot with a rider passing where he really had no business trying to pass.

dr.evil

Likes Dirt
What amazed me this morning...on my ride in today I saw Brett riding his SS fixie to work. Nothing special except that yesterday he completed 22 laps of Stromlo in 24 hours on a SS.

He probably could have done more if he didn't yell out a conversation with everyone he knew on track ;)

Last edited:

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
3rd time lucky for me, and I had a blast, along with the rest of the team.

Without wanting to turn this into a whingefest, I would like to offer some constructive criticism though:

# Track congestion was much more noticable than previous years, possibly compounded by infrequent passing opportunities. The feel of the race was alot different to the 2 lap format, and different to the Mont earlier in the year - which had a similar number of riders on a similar length course, although with more frequent passing opportunities.
# I personally had no issue with the timing, although I could see how people could. I suspect instructions should have been issued to ziptie the transponder to your bike, and maybe a lanyard or similar should have been issued for the team transponder. The technology could certainly be harnessed better to improve the race experience.
# Missed the big screen - it certainly helps build the atmosphere in transition
# Limiting shower times was bloody awful. I can understand the logic of doing it - but surely it would be better to shut them during the day rather than at night?
# Catering options were limited - but I tried to be more organised this year and bring all my own food, so a non issue.

But had a ball. Sportograf were brilliant as always - nothing better than someone yelling Allez Allez Allez at you, in a thick German accent, at the top of Wedgetail. Made me smile everytime.

And the bloke on Sunday just below the Observatory with the cowbells - respect. After a 8km slog uphill, it really lifted the spirits.

Just a different feel this year to others, that is all. Certainly won't discourage me from coming back!

wolfjjj

Likes Dirt
I had a great time at the race as usual ...

Things I loved ...
- Great atmosphere
- Great track (apart from the final climb out of camp .. that was just mean)
- Great weather (all things considered)
- Great organisation (apart from the uber long presentations - only because we had to drive back to Melbourne afterwards)
- Super friendly people on track, had great chats to randoms up and down the mountain
- Great track again ... was really good fun having the log rides and that kind of thing there too, shame the see-saws were shut that would have been fun
- Good amount of technical riding aswell as easier stuff and B Lines for beginners
- Just a great biking destination ... wished I lived in Canberra despite the chilli weather :)
- Following singlespeeders up and down the mountain ... you guys ride so smoothly, minimal braking before/through corners ... love it
- Timing chips were great ... loved it. Only thing better would have been more timing pads so we could see splits of the climbs/descents but it was it great as it was

Things I didn't like ...
- The final climb up through the campground, that just sucked basically
- Being stuck at the back of a long line of riders with an slow/inexperienced rider up front who won't let people through. I understand they are doing what they can but surely there could be a Conga Line rule, when 10 people are lined up behind someone they could call "Conga Line" and the person in front could pull over/stop and let everyone through. It's just basic consideration, I know we're not racing for sheep stations but it kinda sucks when you finish the long climb only to be stuck behind a long train slowly crawling down the mountain ...
- Track congestion compared to last year, I think this contributed to the previous point
- That Stromlo is so far from where I live

Thanks again to the organisers if you're listening and catchya next year :)

Last edited:

Tom Foolery

Likes Bikes
What amazed me this morning...on my ride in today I saw Brett riding his SS fixie to work. Nothing special except that yesterday he completed 22 laps of Stromlo in 24 hours on a SS.

He probably could have done more if he didn't yell out a conversation with everyone he knew on track ;)
I work with Brett, he said he enjoyed spinning into work to loosen his legs up...

As for me..
I had a great time. Myself and 4 mates all rode solo. It was good to get a lot more track time than you do on a team, plus we were able to ride together a lot of the time. This came in handy when one of our guys lights failed on the DH after the bridge. How he rode back to the finish from there going off my light in front and one behind is beyond me.
I got passed by Gordo twice and some other rockstar guys, man those blokes are fast. Even on the beginner downhill run Gordo just disappeared.
I really hated the climb up away from the village at the end of the lap. On two consecutive laps both legs cramped as I approached the overpass where the track crosses. Lots of grunting ensued and I rode them out.
I managed to do 8 laps and everyone was really polite, only 1 or 2 riders pushed pass rudely. Everyone else was happy to chat/give encouragement and wait until there was plenty of room.
I had no issue at all with the organisation and the jet black grips everyone got at the end were far better than previous years 'prizes'.
I'll solo again next year, and try not to sleep for 7 hours.

Hornsby

Likes Dirt
Thanks to CORC for organising yet another great event.

My team of 4 had a great time, we were camped beside the track on the climb we all didn't need on the last hairpin, yes the ones yelling support and advice;)
Props to the girl on the commuter bike, the little kids and the girl riding the fully ridgid SS solo.
The track was great nicely technical except for the last climb through the campsite and the first bit of single track on nightlap after the BIG LH bend after the DH.
However those sins are all forgiven for Skyline and the day lap descent Rollarcoaster to Double Dissolution which for all my 5 laps I didn't get any congestion:)
The track numbers felt high, but my last race was 2006 where there was more overtaking options, less long section of single track.
As we were racing our mates, we lost, the timing/results wasn't a big issue for us, I did see we gained an extra lap in the results:)

All in a great event shame about the weather on the drive home to Sydney..

DaGonz

Eats Squid
I was explaining to a roving marshal that i felt a bit dejected after seeing a 'solo guy dressed in all red' blow right by me-he nicely said "ah mate, he is actually the world champion". see you all next year.
I was in jase's pit when he stopped at one point only be to followed out by a guy with a helmet camera...

...there was a resounding "yeah good luck..." call made from the pit as they both left! like to know how long he held on for! :)

Cheers
Gonz

frameskin

Squid
My report is brief. I only did 2 laps.

I thought it was congested on track at times (seemingly only on fun bits) and more open at others. Passing was pretty easy, though you really had to pick your moments/places to do it safe. The track held up OK, and any skittish corners were that way from the get go, so that was good. I found Pork barrel was much harder to ride at slow speed in a conga line of riders with my wheel finding obstacles that I hadn't noticed when riding through at normal speed. Double dissolution was fun (got one clean run), and the section just after that seems better/easier to ride lately. I didn't love climbing back up to homeview just to roll down the fire-road. I did like how the track went around and beside the trail head and 4x tunnel, that area is starting to look pretty good with the landscaping and what not.

I'd say I much preferred the double loop format from last year.
I got some nifty grips, but missed out on the shirt and bottle.

Neither of my laps feature in the results, and that's never happened before.