Scott 24hr 2009

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
Well, I'd keep the weekend of 10/11 October free, and start looking for online info and entries around 1 June :)

Lanky Love

Likes Dirt
Because of the extra long coarse, they can allow buck loads of people to enter this race, so I wouldnt worry about missing out on an entry. I think every mountain biker in the country will have to enter before it fills out.

Jackstack

Likes Dirt
Just putting dates in the calender and wanted to check that 10/11 October is definitely the date for this one?

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
Just putting dates in the calender and wanted to check that 10/11 October is definitely the date for this one?
Yep - Stromlo has been booked for 10/11 October...

Because of the extra long coarse, they can allow buck loads of people to enter this race, so I wouldnt worry about missing out on an entry. I think every mountain biker in the country will have to enter before it fills out.
The course length will be adjusted to provide for the best riding experience for the number of riders who enter. If we get over 4,500 riders, then I may start getting nervous - or looking for some extra tracks on the mountain :)

For info, last year was around 2,390 riders.

Last edited:

Jackstack

Likes Dirt
Yep - Stromlo has been booked for 10/11 October...

Thanks, locked it in.

The course length will be adjusted to provide for the best riding experience for the number of riders who enter. If we get over 4,500 riders, then I may start getting nervous - or looking for some extra tracks on the mountain :)
But similar layout to last year?

SteppenW

Likes Dirt
Scott 2009 - single loop, single-track

Keep Oct 10-11 free. The Scott is back - back to basics. It's unlikely to be a figure 8 layout this year. Instead, we'll be stitching together the best that Stromlo has to offer. No details yet, but it'll probably include the Red climb (long but not exactly a wall) followed by some brakes-free descending that will include the Berm Track for a welcome change. After that? I'm favouring a short fire-trail respite before picking up on last year's Blue. Yes, the horrid rocky ridge near the Scout checkpoint should be relegated to memory. TVE have been busy maintaining the trails and adding interesting new features: armoured creek crossings; easy table-tops; a see-saw. They've also been fixing up rain gutters and braking ripples. A bit more rain and you may even have some trees to run into!

rangie

Likes Dirt
:-(

Yes, the horrid rocky ridge near the Scout checkpoint should be relegated to memory. TVE have been busy maintaining the trails and adding interesting new features: armoured creek crossings; easy table-tops; a see-saw. They've also been fixing up rain gutters and braking ripples. A bit more rain and you may even have some trees to run into!
Yikes, gotta have the rocky ridge....lots of fun to be had and sorts the 'roadies' out too ! could not resist :D

Creek crossings, tabletops sounds great !

gixer7

Likes Dirt
Yikes, gotta have the rocky ridge....lots of fun to be had and sorts the 'roadies' out too ! could not resist :D

Creek crossings, tabletops sounds great !
which lap was the "rocky ridge" on? I can't seem to place/remember where this was?

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Blue lap near (just before) the caravan checkpoint? I think it was that god awful climb up the downhill track that I swore about every single lap.

Lanky Love

Likes Dirt
I have to say, last years track was pretty good, hammering down the DH track in inches of dust know that if you crash it wont was awsome, the the rocky ridge or whatever its called was prety fun as well. Personaly I wouldnt be changing it too much, except maybe shorten the start and finish of the blue lap.

gixer7

Likes Dirt
Keep Oct 10-11 free. The Scott is back - back to basics. It's unlikely to be a figure 8 layout this year.
Steppen - what's the idea behind ditching the figure 8 layout for this year?

I always thought it was a great idea to keep the lap distances reasonable but to space the riders out over twice the distance of a single lap.

Everybody I've spoken to has loved the layout so am curious if the change is because of feedback/technical reasons or just for a change.

SteppenW

Likes Dirt
Single loop

The decision to go back to a single loop is all about reducing complexity at transition and the expenses involved (barriers, multi-timing stations, tentage, lighting...). This means more money for things like prizes and other cools stuff. It'll be resurrected if numbers substantially exceed our estimates. There will still be plenty of space on track, and a lot of Stromlo trails are wide enough to permit safe passing.

One thing we're trying to do this year is make the climbs as gentle as possible. You'll see more fire road climbs and more singletrack descents (sorry, you're going to have to sprint the roadie's to each singletrack before you can drop them).

rangie

Likes Dirt
You'll see more fire road climbs and more singletrack descents (sorry, you're going to have to sprint the roadie's to each singletrack before you can drop them).
Does not sound like a terrible challenge or as much fun :-(

However do understand the need to have a course that avge idiots like us can partake in without hurting ourselves too much. But hey, thats part of the fun isnt it ? One should have some technical nouse afterall otherwise we may as well race on groomed/buff tracks like the yanks :D

Had not thought of double the technical issues with running two loops as assumed they were just one system.

chops007

Likes Dirt
just a thought....

i could be makling th scott my first 24solo so im happy to do just a single loop race..

would this work???

teams of 4,6,10 do one loop for 12hrs
solo and pairs do another.....

then swap at midnight????

ShaunAR

Likes Bikes
I for one really liked the two laps setup. The decreased traffic in combination with having a lap length which isnt outside the reach of the average hack cyclist added appeal to me.

I understand that finance comes into things, but i cannot honestly say that there is much more that id want out of the event... Id say my team for this year has an outside chance of getting some sort of prize, but the prize pool is definitely not going to change whether i enter or not, or in any way impact on my enjoyment of the event. Obviously i havnt seen the new setup yet, but id say there is a fair chance that this new lap layout might.

other than the prize pool, what is it that you are planning to sink this added money into?

anyway i know you guys always hold a great event, ive always enjoyed it in the past and im sure this year will be no different.

SteppenW

Likes Dirt
Track changes mid-race

By all means, go solo. Nothing beats the satisfaction of doing a 24hr non-stop. Marathon pairs? Now that's crazy.

I believe the Kona 24hr lets you to ride a different course at later stages of the race. It's a novel idea, and worthy of some consideration. It would certainly refresh the race and keep it interesting.

jab80

Likes Bikes
I'm excited, when do entries open? Also the only website I could find is is last years, any updates? I know you CORC guys are flat out this year but I'm pretty keen on this one so I'm hungry for info... Cheers.

Last edited: