Highland Fling Anyone ?

McBain

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Of course complete opposite to the DirtWorks start.

In reality I think Fling could manage a single 100km start the Elite numbers aren't that great.
The Fling could do well to have the multiple waves the DW100 has. Get people to seed themselves and set them off 5-10 mins apart. A little less dramatic than the big mass start, but that drama is anticlimactic when you are stuck behind the start line for a couple of minutes waiting for everyone to start pedaling.

And on that, seeing the elites blast through isn't all that inspiring when we are all standing around in congested singletrack ...

These are only minor gripes though - everything else works great.

Antsonline

Likes Dirt
The Fling could do well to have the multiple waves the DW100 has. Get people to seed themselves and set them off 5-10 mins apart. A little less dramatic than the big mass start, but that drama is anticlimactic when you are stuck behind the start line for a couple of minutes waiting for everyone to start pedaling.

And on that, seeing the elites blast through isn't all that inspiring when we are all standing around in congested singletrack ...

These are only minor gripes though - everything else works great.
I raced Elite, and just wanted to say thanks everyone on the course that was caught and passed. I can honeslty say that other than a few little bits of single-track (when really there is very little difference in speed) everyone was awesome at moving over, and there was great banter between all riders.

I actually seeing the other riders and also passing people throughout - kept things interesting.
It was also nice (when I blew) to have those same riders pass me back, with some great sledging.

I like Huws idea and really dont think it affected either the result, or anyones time (to a large degree).

HillBilly

Likes Bikes
I had been riding really cautiously on the descents having shattered my clavicle at the Otway and not wanting to go through that experience again. It looked like a straight smooth descent....QUOTE]

HAHA.... I wonder.., Hillbilly - were you riding a Yeti in the Otway 09.. I was working with a guy on Yeti in CBD kit for many klms in this years Otway when three or four of us all had all had massive off in some badly rutted up four wheel drive track... going at a decent speed too we were. I Think he/you busted himself up good. If that was you - glad to hear you're back racing.

Mark

That was me - I was back on the Yeti and in CBD kit on Sunday.

That Otway crash was a shocker. Got plated up and was back on the bike in 3 weeks only to snap the plate through metal fatigue and had to have the whole operation done again. 12 weeks off the second time around taught me a valuable lesson - let things heal properly first - because unfortunately i'm not 20 anymore.

Apart from the purple flower moment and some nasty cramps for half hour or so from the 80 kay mark - I had an enjoyable day.

I am all signed up for the Otway in 2010 - I have some unfinished business down there!

Cheers

HillBilly.

HillBilly

Likes Bikes
Glad I'm not the only one. must have been 3 or so seconds of hang time in it... scary stuff!!

Cheers
Spoonie

I'm guessing I was riding with you, Spoonie on the road into Transition after the Forest loop. I was wondering why you had a spoon cable tied to your rear stay :). It was about then that my quads went into seizure and I was horrifed to think you were about to start another lap of the forest while all I had to do was limp home the last 30kms...

Glad to hear you made it home despite the sore back. A hundred miles - man that's a long way - especially when it includes 2 Forest loops...

XC_rulz

Squid
Doesn't Huw claim that this way the field gets to see the Elites in action rather than just having a cloud of dust disappear into the distance.

This does mean that any bad behaviour is also seen as well ....

Of course complete opposite to the DirtWorks start.

In reality I think Fling could manage a single 100km start the Elite numbers aren't that great.
One of the reasons is so that the finish times are a bit closer together. If elites went first, then they would be finshed sooner and wanting to go home. Not too many would bother hanging around for the presentations, etc.

I thought the course changes this year made passing a lot easier in the first stage and everyone was pretty friendly.

Tough race though, every year i forgot how much i suffer through the 2nd stage. Well done to everyone that got through it.

DaGonz

Eats Squid
I'm guessing I was riding with you, Spoonie on the road into Transition after the Forest loop.
Awesome! thanks for a bit of a tow!!

I was horrifed to think you were about to start another lap of the forest while all I had to do was limp home the last 30kms...
So was I... but then this man at the gate told me to turn right, so I did... and all of a sudden I was riding up the wall...

....again :eek:

;)

Cheers
Spoon

chrisp2087

Likes Dirt
Well my first fling is flung and I love reading the stories about all of you completing the event.

I was really in it to finish it, I've never done the distance on a mountain bike before and I finished in 7 hours 55 (cycle computer said 7 hours 16......lot of down time for me). I had no dramas, no mechanicals, not even a flat so very lucky. I think I know the waterbar everyone is talking about, I saw the guy in front of me go over with a big kick up at the rear so I took it a little easy.

As for the event, awesome organisation, awesome navigation (I never thought I'd be riding by myself after seeing the 1st 10km but all the signage made finding my way easy) and a lot of fun overall.

Memories:
I was in so much pain at the end of the forrest stage that I was almost hysterical coming into transition, but then I wicked it up for the final stage, so glad I did (I was just being a wuss)

It was around 1 hour 12 minutes after the finish where I proclaimed to my girlfriend "I'm never doing that again" that I had my 1st "so next year I can do it in 7 hours" thought :D

Sidenote - ignitor front, crossmark back, around 40psi tubed, saw a bit of that around

tjb

Likes Dirt
One of the reasons is so that the finish times are a bit closer together. If elites went first, then they would be finshed sooner and wanting to go home. Not too many would bother hanging around for the presentations, etc.
Oh yeah good point.

fatnold said:
That would be great. I understand the Elite riders are superior navigators.
Another excellent point. We don't want anyone getting lost.

Larsens

TT Larsen up front,crossmark rear both LUST running tubeless around 40psi
I missed the penrose single track this is where the elite riders normally catch me at the 1hr mark.
I hit the bottle neck at the 30min mark just as the elite where starting by the time I got through they came flying past at the 50min mark

FLUFF

Squid
Oh yeah good point.

Another excellent point. We don't want anyone getting lost.
You are the one that got everyone lost,but you still manage to fight your way though the field and win.I hang on for a few km but ss gear was killing me,nice ride Tim.

Markymark188

Likes Dirt
illegal

You are the one that got everyone lost,but you still manage to fight your way though the field and win.I hang on for a few km but ss gear was killing me,nice ride Tim.
Fluff - It's illegal to ride SS then complain about the gearing.. - there is only one speed... that's why it's called 'single'. :)

BTW - good ride on your behalf.. 2nd I believe... and with only one gear..!

Mark

Last edited:

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What gear did you run?
I tried the 100miles using 32:18,

maybe 32:16 next year

oldbean

NSWMTB
Yes, and thanks for your help with notifying the marshall, Mr Trek.. much appreciated.
Glad you're OK. Was a fair bit of blood. Was easy to notify the next marshal, only problem was I didn't realise the next marshal was about another 6-8kms away! There was a spectator before then though who had his 4WD who we told as well, so hopefully that helped.

See you at the next one!