Highland Fling Anyone ?

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
With all the bouncing around I was doing all the sudden changes in altitude probably overwhelmed the sensor.

ladytoast

Likes Bikes
Different again.

I have a Garmin 705 and my elevation gain was 2,285.

GPS is notorious for being inaccurate for altitude though.

ladytoast

Likes Bikes
the 705 uses a barometric altimeter for accuracy
which again can vary substantially over the course of a 100km race depending on weather. I ride the same route to work and every time the amount climbed is different. I still love the 705 though.

mouldy

Cannon Fodder
I'm the guy who got airlifted at the Fling. Whilst I have no memory of the actual incident, it is most likely I fell victim to the waterbar. I was unconscious for 5 mins and I would like to thank everyone who helped out. I fractured both wrists (at the radius) and fracture dislocated the right one. I had surgery at Liverpool Hospital the next day where my right wrist was plated and the left had 3 wires put in it. I'm off work for 6 weeks (I'm a physio!). Thanks again to all those that helped out.

mittagongmtb

Likes Dirt
I'm the guy who got airlifted at the Fling. Whilst I have no memory of the actual incident, it is most likely I fell victim to the waterbar. I was unconscious for 5 mins and I would like to thank everyone who helped out. I fractured both wrists (at the radius) and fracture dislocated the right one. I had surgery at Liverpool Hospital the next day where my right wrist was plated and the left had 3 wires put in it. I'm off work for 6 weeks (I'm a physio!). Thanks again to all those that helped out.
Thanks will pass onto the ambos who patched you up in the gully. Was speaking with one this week and she wondered how things ended up.

BigSplashBear

Likes Dirt
Good luck with the recovery Mouldy.
Glad you are well enough to type away on rotorburn. :)
Here's to seeing you clear that waterbar at Fling 2010.

Best wishes,
Bear

Bushranger

Likes Dirt
few Questoins re the Fling

1. In the results, what are the T1 and T2 penalties for?

2. Are there any plans to change the Elite start so they don't have to make their way through the field?

3. Are there any plans to have a self select wave start or starts in categories?

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
1. In the results, what are the T1 and T2 penalties for?
You are allowed up to 5 minutes to make your way across the railway line between the two timing mats. If you take longer than this the time gets added on to your time.

2. Are there any plans to change the Elite start so they don't have to make their way through the field?
Doubt it, it's been that way every year.

3. Are there any plans to have a self select wave start or starts in categories?
No idea. Huw and his crew have a few other events to get through before they start worrying to much about the finer details of the Fling.

Rambler

Likes Dirt
Argyle Road graded

The last part of the Fling(Argyle Road- the 2-3km slow,rocky climb from Stingray creek before you hit the tar and the finish line) has been graded. A significant amount of money has been spent for the upgrade to allow fire services into Penrose Forest. It is now very smooth and fast with a few waterbars.Thankfully, the harder part of Your Call has been saved.Perhaps for the 2010 Fling, both the 50km and the 100km will be pushed up this way due to the easy nature of the trail.