Highland Fling Anyone ?

Newton

Likes Dirt
Thought I'd start this one off - seeing as though entries open in 2 days time.

From a recent newsletter:-
Entries for this year’s event on 7-8 November will open on Wednesday 1 July at 4pm. Entries are limited to 1500 riders.

It will be my first Fling, or rather 1/2 Fling - I'll be up there with a couple of mates camping Saturday night ready for Sundays Race. I've ridden wingello forest a couple of times, still to ride penrose forest - planning to take a run up there in the next 3-4 weeks.

Hopefully the weather gods are kind this year, should be a GREAT weekend. - CYA there :D

ps. Recently joined and been riding with the SCUM crew - hope to see some of the SCUM guys & Gals there ...

Last edited:

PDogg

Manly Warringah MTB Club
I'm as 'in' as an unentered man with no way of securing an entry can be.

You'll have a fun day Newton :p

DaGonz

Eats Squid
ready for a Ton?

100 miles here we come! hopefully some of the usual suspects will be joined by new faces!

See you on the start line:

Pdogg
Chops
Fatnold
Jmcavoy
Dreggsy
Red_Racer (or is that Green Latern?)
Liamo
MORE!!!

Game on!!!

Cheers
Gonz

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
100 miles here we come! hopefully some of the usual suspects will be joined by new faces!

See you on the start line:

Pdogg
Chops
Fatnold
Jmcavoy
Dreggsy
Red_Racer (or is that Green Latern?)
Liamo
MORE!!!

Game on!!!

Cheers
Gonz
Oh yeah baby... after the 100km on the 'crosser last year 100miles is the gee ohh... how hard could it be :)

chops007

Likes Dirt
cant say im planning on the 100mile.... i reckon my legs may have enough kms in them by then... if i could wait till say the end of august to make a decision i would, and would pick the 100mile if i have not been racing in north queensland... but the decision will have to be made this week...

watch out for captin crawford,,,, a member of team pink and he came 4th last year.

spudatm

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Am i being overly optimistic by making this my second 100 whilst not yet having ridden my first {angry doctor}

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not this year Josephine. Court-ordered visitation agreement requires me to go to Gravity 12 Hour this year instead.

Although I'm sure it will sell out as quick as it always does...

ACNRS

Likes Dirt
yea ill be there this year, my first 1/2 fling.
should be a good race ive ridden wingello and penrose before and there great fun tracks so hopefully it will be a great race.
im looking for that top 15 finish(overall):rolleyes:

jeffandal

Likes Dirt
Gonz
Well, I'm considering the 100mile, but I will no doubt be loading the barricades after the conclusion of the event again, which could be the most painful part !! mmm, will have to put some thought into that one.
Jeff.

Shrekmeister

Likes Dirt
have done every half fling...from memory...thats about four of them... :D

considering the full this year... :cool: depends on the triathlon schdule at the same time frame...

either way...always a great weekend... :D

nayto

Likes Bikes
has anyone got a specific plan or training regime for the lead up to an event, like to start say 9 weeks before a race and how to build up, but not go too had before the event.....i did find something online once, think it was a 12 week thing? i did the half last yr, and im looking at bettering my time by a lot this yr, last yr i didnt train or plan at all!

DaGonz

Eats Squid
has anyone got a specific plan or training regime for the lead up to an event, like to start say 9 weeks before a race and how to build up, but not go too had before the event.....i did find something online once, think it was a 12 week thing? i did the half last yr, and im looking at bettering my time by a lot this yr, last yr i didnt train or plan at all!
there are plenty of 12 to 16 week training plans around. Most of them are pretty similar. I'm not a big fan of a cookie cutter plans since it largely depends on who you are and what you want to achieve. having said that, they're a good base to work from I guess and there happens to be one on the cycleepic website:

http://www.cycleepic.com.au/pages/show/23

Also, try trolling through this forum searching for training. This subject gets raised in just about every 100k thread that's started so there's bound to be a wealth of knowledge here already!!

Cheers
Gonz

oldbean

NSWMTB
Well I'm pumped for it!

Last year was my first 100km race and I was aiming for under 6 hours. Was stoked when I ended up with a 5.53 after coming back from a broken hand in June.

Some more experience and training this time around and hoping for a new PB. Under 5 1/2 hours?? Too optimistic? I don't think so... We'll see I guess.

See you there!

BT180

Max Pfaff
Am i being overly optimistic by making this my second 100 whilst not yet having ridden my first {angry doctor}
I'm hoping to do exactly the same thing. Hopefully my 'ripped off legs' from the Doctor have grown back in time.

May as well jump in the deep end! I figure if we make it through the 1st one then the 2nd will be easier.