The Fixie Thread

Slowdive

Cannon Fodder
when things get stuck

Thought this might be of interest to a number of you:

http://davesbikeblog.squarespace.co...ving-a-stuck-seat-post-or-handlebar-stem.html

Remember reading numerous times across the whole thread (yep, I have actually read it and followed it for a while) punters having trouble removing seatposts and stems that have fused with frames...

...it's pretty good advice from a legit source.

by the by - I am thinking of upgrading the wheels on my SS - it's used as my commuter so strength and reliability are the main aim. Figured deep Vs are the best option. I'm 6'3" and 115. Any better options at price point in your opinions, else deep Vs it would be.

Jaumet

Likes Dirt
49:17 ftw!
74 gi and 34 skid patches, if you're ambidextrous ;)
Last weekend i was trying to skid with my Left foot as the Chocolate foot, i did it a few times and thought "Fuck this is easy.." then realised i had been - Right foot chocolate foot -skiding, even though i was trying to do left the muscle memory wasn't there, well it was..just for wrong foot.

Kept trying couldn't do it, back to basics. because if i can do it both, i will leave the brake at home

Zyphryss

Breaker of the unbreakable
Yeah, that's understandable man!

I can happily skid with either, but can only trackstand with my right foot forward.
Weird thing is, I coast with my left foot forward! :rolleyes:

Dan.

Farkin guerilla
Whats gi and skid patches? :eek:
Skid patches are the spots were you're tyre will skid. They have a certain spot and different ratios have different amounts. Can't really explain gear inches but I know higher GI means a higher ratio.

Lorday

Eats Squid
Skid patches are the spots were you're tyre will skid. They have a certain spot and different ratios have different amounts. Can't really explain gear inches but I know higher GI means a higher ratio.
Gi the amount of distance (in inches) traveled with one crank arm revolution.

In other news. I can skid with both feet now and comfortably ride home in the rain, brakeless.

I also have a frame. Apollo toledo, 54TTx58.

Last edited:

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
49:17 ftw!
74 gi and 34 skid patches, if you're ambidextrous ;)
ambidextrous is lame.

I just ordered a 21t cog.. contemplating going to a 23t just so i can say to some bmx's that my rear cog is as large as their front.

54tt/58 is my ideal sized bike. Very jealous. If you ever need to give it a new home I know one with room.

niki125

Likes Dirt
Gi the amount of distance (in inches) traveled with one crank arm revolution.

In other news. I can skid with both feet now and comfortably ride home in the rain, brakeless.

*puts on condescending voice* Well actually that's incorrect:p

The distance you travel for one pedal stroke is actually known as 'development'.

Gear inches are equal to the mechanical advantage that would be achieved on a unicycle or penny-farthing with direct drive. A 70 inch gear would be the same as pedalling a direct drive bicycle with a wheel 70" in diameter wheel. A wheel of this size would have 5.5m of development.

Lorday

Eats Squid
ambidextrous is lame.

I just ordered a 21t cog.. contemplating going to a 23t just so i can say to some bmx's that my rear cog is as large as their front.

54tt/58 is my ideal sized bike. Very jealous. If you ever need to give it a new home I know one with room.
It's your for a small price. Comes with very shinny drop bars which are widish, and could be cut to make wide bullhorns or narrow flats.

joe79

Likes Dirt
Just having a go at riding fixed this past week for the first time, interesting experience. it's pretty tough breaking the habit of coasting from riding bmx/mtb almost daily for 25 years.
Also my left knee feels like it's going to blow up from skidding (not that i've even been skidding that much), i'm not used to pulling up on the pedals. i presume it's just a conditioning thing?

Carlin

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Also my left knee feels like it's going to blow up from skidding (not that i've even been skidding that much), i'm not used to pulling up on the pedals. i presume it's just a conditioning thing?
Yes but no.

Yes it might be conditioning (I'm not a physio, I don't know).

No it's probably not 'just a conditioning thing', if you are getting any pain it's probably best to STOP doing the movement that is causing it until you have it checked out. If it is uncomfortable, I would at the very least be taking it easy.

Be careful with your knees, and don't take advice from the internet.

Lanky Love

Likes Dirt
Just having a go at riding fixed this past week for the first time, interesting experience. it's pretty tough breaking the habit of coasting from riding bmx/mtb almost daily for 25 years.
Do people who have come from a background of road/XC where pulling up on the pedals is normal find it easier to start riding fixed?

joe79

Likes Dirt
Do people who have come from a background of road/XC where pulling up on the pedals is normal find it easier to start riding fixed?
I've done a lot of XC and while i'm comfortable pulling up on the pedals while climbing hard etc, and working with the momentum of the pedals, the idea of resisting that and pulling back against the momentum feels pretty strange.
Feeling much better today, probably take it easy for a day or two just to be safe.

nick_sixx

Likes Dirt
I havent posted here for ages, but I have a couple of questions regarding a fixie/single speed project I am working on:

What size thread are most pedals on road bikes from 1980-1990?

Would any single speed kit fit my hub? I have only had experience with DJ/4X bikes, so I am still learning the differences of road bikes.

Thanks heaps in advance guys