RealBike Insurance MTB Cruise

mcdoned

Likes Dirt
double entendres...

QZ, my statement about a good day for singlespeeding could be interpreted in another way too. ;)

The only secret I'll let out about my diet - pre-race or within the race - was that I came through transition yelling that I needed broccoli and custard for the next lap. Dreggsy will testify to that!

Antsonline

Likes Dirt
Awesome event, great tracks (god - you Canberra lot are spoilt!) and some really good racing.

Thanks Martin - we had a blast, and beers and vodka for prizes were a lovely touch!

Knopey

Likes Dirt
My mate found a playing card out on the track, an ace, with a bowl of custard pictured on one side and a lump of broccoli printed on the other. He and his wife were much confused as you can imagine. I tried to explain but then realised I had no idea either... So on their behalf - "eh??" :D

ebuk

Likes Dirt
My mate found a playing card out on the track, an ace, with a bowl of custard pictured on one side and a lump of broccoli printed on the other. He and his wife were much confused as you can imagine. I tried to explain but then realised I had no idea either... So on their behalf - "eh??" :D
That's Anti-Trainer's card. He should be disqualified for dropping it ;). The cool kids were using them as spoke cards.

I tried to explain but then realised I had no idea either... So on their behalf - "eh??" :D
It's the Ace of Broccoli / Ace of Custard card. Hand it in at transition and you get some free broccoli and custard. Sort of like what Gu do with handing out gels at transition but with a twist.

Knopey

Likes Dirt
It's the Ace of Broccoli / Ace of Custard card. Hand it in at transition and you get some free broccoli and custard. Sort of like what Gu do with handing out gels at transition but with a twist.
Oh they tried that and the happy people at transition didn't know about it. I think it's probably now framed on the wall or something :)

Thanks for the explanation - I'll pass it on and no doubt the confusion will continue ;)

Anti_Trainer

Likes Dirt
That's Anti-Trainer's card. He should be disqualified for dropping it ;). The cool kids were using them as spoke cards.
The cool kids quite obviously have wheels with spokes that crossed over each other, which for some unknown reason my did not, but I am glad that the card has found it's way into another family.

On a side not the missus thought that brocolli and custard would be a good thing for 24hrs, and I quotë.
"Once you've eaten a lot of brocolli you'd want something sweet, but not too sweet and custard would be great for that, then once you've eaten too much sweet custard then the taste of brocolli would be perfect"
God love ér.

ebuk

Likes Dirt
Well I had a great event but a crap race. Even before the race had started I had been outed as a 'dark horse', which was news to me.

Had excellent accomodation at Chateau du Kris on 1, where we could work on the bikes in comfort instead of in the rain. As noted earlier by Dr Eggs, cheese is not the best of pre race meals.

I was pleased with the weather for the start and hoped that the forecast 27 / 28 was going to be wrong. A short drive from the Chateau had us at Stromlo, where we set up and clowned around some. It was very cool having a pre race briefing with less than 20 people. I eyed off Grizzly Bellchambers and managed to hold his wheel................. for the entire warm up lap.

The track was soooo much fun at the start. Sliding through puddles in corners, slight rain, the observatory in the clouds and the sun even poked out a few times.

Didn't think I'd make the cutoff but didn't even have to worry about that at all. Some leg problems showed up nice and early and managed to put a 2 inch gash in the rear tyre on lap three. I stupidly decided to jog / walk the lap from Pork Barrel to transition. More than an hour later I finally got back and decided that was enough.

As usual heaps of riders stopped to offer help, thanks to all. Well done to RTE and Real Insurance. The atmosphere was super relaxed and it was great seeing so many people doing their first event.

HUGE thanks to Kris for putting us up for the night.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
A big congrats to the RTE crew for running another great event, good work on the rain on Friday night and keeping it away on Sat, although it was bloody hot on my last lap when I thought that I must have been the only one out there.

Who was the poor bugger whose bike sounded like it exploded as he was following me down through Pork Barrel on the first lap of the 80k. I yelled out if he was ok, and he said to ride on. I hope your day improved.

Kris_on_1

Likes Dirt
Thanks RTE

Wow. I can ride 80km on a singlespeed, who would have guessed. I have promised my wrists, elbows and upper arms that suspension is on the way - just haven't told them how long they have to wait.

A number of thanks:
Juliane & Martin - fantastic event, thank you so much for putting it on.
Jesus - for stopping and throwing me a tube after I pinched my spare at Pork Barrel. So glad you ride a 29er these days.
Bec - how awesome and inspirational are you! Amazing watching you race and show those boys how its done. And thanks for the kind words as you passed me each and every time.
To everyone who passed me - you did it effortlessly and with a great deal of patience in some instances.
Dreggsy & Ebuk - you guys are welcome any time. The broccoli on the bike worked a treat.

QZ13

Likes Dirt
Jesus - for stopping and throwing me a tube after I pinched my spare at Pork Barrel. So glad you ride a 29er these days.
What can't this Man do! Sounds a bit loaves to fishes to me, He only had a bagel in his jersey pocket at the start of the lap

Bec and Kris, well done chicks

Anti_Trainer

Likes Dirt
What can't this Man do! Sounds a bit loaves to fishes to me, He only had a bagel in his jersey pocket at the start of the lap
Bec and Kris, well done chicks
To be honest it was better than that, I handed off the tube to Kris and then panicked that I might needed it at some point on the rest of the lap, only to find another tube that had bounced out of someones saddlebag (they are products of Satans Hellspawn), picked it up, put it in the jersey, finished the lap and handed it back in at transition, boy did I feel good after that

Lovely Darts, the both of them.

Last edited: