Dirt Works NSW 100K 2010

WOFTT

Likes Bikes
Depends how fast you want get up it?
yeh - I guess you are right but I would be happy to get up in granny gear similar to walking pace. I was a bit sheepish and followed the rest of the lambs. I spent my training getting saddle time and not enough hill climbs. I would like to know what specific training others did for the climb.

sclyde2

Likes Dirt
yeh - I guess you are right but I would be happy to get up in granny gear similar to walking pace. I was a bit sheepish and followed the rest of the lambs. I spent my training getting saddle time and not enough hill climbs. I would like to know what specific training others did for the climb.
go and ride the 6 foot track. start at old ford reserve, cross the river near the suspension bridge then ride up the climbs. just be super-determined to get up those two 350m-400m climbs without stopping (go real slow in the lowest gear you have - suggest 22/32 or 22/34), and you'll find ways to get efficient at climbing (and find ways around the pain). the surface is slightly loose ball-bearings, so you have to do all the steep stuff seated (you'll lose traction if you try to stand and mash). turn around at jenolan caves road and it is mostly downhill back from there. you'll need heaps of water, so the pack will be close to 10kg at the start, making it even harder. go real early.

i always think of those 6 foot track climbs when i am starting to think of getting off and pushing.

WOFTT

Likes Bikes
go and ride the 6 foot track. start at old ford reserve, cross the river near the suspension bridge then ride up the climbs. just be super-determined to get up those two 350m-400m climbs without stopping (go real slow in the lowest gear you have - suggest 22/32 or 22/34), and you'll find ways to get efficient at climbing (and find ways around the pain). the surface is slightly loose ball-bearings, so you have to do all the steep stuff seated (you'll lose traction if you try to stand and mash). turn around at jenolan caves road and it is mostly downhill back from there. you'll need heaps of water, so the pack will be close to 10kg at the start, making it even harder. go real early.

i always think of those 6 foot track climbs when i am starting to think of getting off and pushing.
Thanks Sclyde2 - sounds like a plan. How does this compare to Anderson's which I have done before?

sclyde2

Likes Dirt
Thanks Sclyde2 - sounds like a plan. How does this compare to Anderson's which I have done before?
I can really remember how hard anderson's was, as i haven't ridden it since 2006. however, i did dig out an old polar graph of it, when i did a anderson's then oaks ride. the only real climb on it is at about 25km, which is the climb up to woodford. it gains about 160m in 2km.

comparing it with a recent one of a 6 foot track ride i did, the 6 foot track shows the 2nd climb to gains about 400m in 3km. so 6 foot track ride is a fair bit harder. btw, that ride out to jenolan caves road (black range camp ground actually) has 1270m of climbing in only 26km.

DaGonz

Eats Squid
The Climb out to woodford is different. It's not as continuous but has some steeper/looser parts in it. I would suggest it really doesn't matter though; if you're a weak climber, go find some BFO hills, and climb them.

you could start by instead of just riding down andos, ride up Ingar first.

*shrug*

Cheers
Spoonie

DW-1

Dirt Works
you could start by instead of just riding down andos, ride up Ingar first.

Spoonie
well you could walk from Bedford creek to the gate and then ride...

But yeh... Ingar is a nice (fairly) constant gradient to train on.

It you get to Tablelands road and you feel pumped... head south then onto Ando's...

And if (like me) you get to the top and feel stuffed... ride back down the road to where ever your car is... (I usually ride back down home to Woodford)

Elvis.

drew.d

Likes Bikes
Riding the first hill

I only made it out there once before Dirtworks, but my training plan for that hill was the ride back up Mt York. Awesome single track down, BFO hill on the way up. Short enough to do multiple laps (17km loop, apparently.)

spikenet

Likes Dirt
Do yourself a favor and do the Terra Australis next year. 7 days of awesome riding with a few hills included :) You couldn't ask for a better lead-up to dirtworks!