Dirt Works NSW 100K 2010

Markymark188

Likes Dirt
Did anyone get to see Peter Hatton finish? Apparently it was pretty spectacular; a celebration across the line that ended in a stack as he hit a pothole. I would love to know if anyone actually filmed it.
Pete was interviewed after the race - And basically what he said was that he'd got in front on the sprint and threw his hands up in the just before crossing the line, as you do when you've ridden like crazy to take a win in a very big race, he hit that pot hole directly in front of the finish (who left that there..?) but with his forks still locked out from the sprint they just spun and over he went.. crashing to the left and into the barricades.. He jumped up with out a blink, a limp or a tear.. saddle was smashed to peices.....

Well done Peter, great ride, awesome finish.. you've ridden into MTB folklore...

A video would be perfect.. but they (Peter and Gordo) came around that last corner before anyone knew they were coming..so I doubt anyone was filming..

It was great to watch..

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
^^^ Sounds unbelievable! :eek:

Did they move the finish line around the corner for the later finishers? IIRC, the finish line registration point (where your anklet went "beep") was around the left-hand corner. That's why I was wondering how they could sprint-finish around a 90 bend!

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is Peter Hatton sponsored by anyone? Craig and Matt had lots of companies to thank and crowded jerseys and Peter was just chilling in a non-branded T-Shirt

Great effort to knock off those who do it for a living!

Also did anyone notice their 50km splits... same three guys opposite order, anyone know what it was when they hit the 70km mark (i.e. just before the never ending climb)?

HerdingCats

Likes Dirt
Pete was interviewed after the race - And basically what he said was that he'd got in front on the sprint and threw his hands up in the just before crossing the line, as you do when you've ridden like crazy to take a win in a very big race, he hit that pot hole directly in front of the finish (who left that there..?) but with his forks still locked out from the sprint they just spun and over he went.. crashing to the left and into the barricades.. He jumped up with out a blink, a limp or a tear.. saddle was smashed to peices...
I also saw the 100 finish.

I was handing out beers/redbulls (fun job) and collecting sweaty transponders (gross job). The race commentator got a heads up from the first timing mat that Peter Hatton and Gordo were on the finish straight. They belted up to the finish, Le Tour style, with Peter getting an edge. Up went the arms, down went the front wheel and over he went (think jockies being thrown during a steeplechase).

That Peter survived without breaking anything should add to the legend. He tumbled a fair distance, eventually ending up in the barriers. He was clearly bashed, but he manned up, answered questions and came back a few minutes later for a follow up interview.

Hero.

Last edited:

nayto

Likes Bikes
sclyde2 - I was trying to make the point that it didn't matter whether you were seeded with fast riders or not, the path remained pretty clear for most of the race. That's a bummer about the timing, not sure how it could happen unless you inadvertently triggered the transponder somehow? My (simple) understanding was you rode over the mat, that started your time, then you rode over it at the end. It shouldn't matter whether you started at 7:10, 7:12, 7:31 as it would just take an elapsed time. It's obviously more complicated than that - I'm at a loss.
I had a similar thing happen in the 50km race, my time on the website is EXACTLY (to the second) 10 minutes more than what my computer showed? Doesnt matter though i had a ball!:D

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you don't work 5 days a week you are cheating!
Oh oh RR, I'm afraid I'm going to hae to let the cat out of the bag here - the stress of PE teaching counts as interval training!

(Think little grade 1 kid who likes to run away from the class to pull the fire alarm lever... I'm happy I'll never see him again!!!
not to mention the time a teacher who was handing a class over to me for their swimming lesson forgot to tell me one of the kids was in the bathroom - I put them on the bus to the swimming pool under the impression he was absent from school - an hour later we find out the kid who missed the bus freaked out so bad he locked himself in a toilet cubicle with his feet up on the seat so you couldn't see his legs under the door!
And don't get me started on the pressure of making a ruling in a game of dodgeball - the kids will assure you it is far more important than life and death)

I think this lawyering gig in a couple of years is going to be a million times easier! But when I'm in the hurtbox on the never-ending climb I won't be able to fall back on having the stress tolerance having anything to do with kids gives you! (BTW RR I salute you!)

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Is Peter Hatton sponsored by anyone? Craig and Matt had lots of companies to thank and crowded jerseys and Peter was just chilling in a non-branded T-Shirt

I'm thinking he can't be (sponsored) as he didn't mention anyone in his trophy acceptance speech. Or he is & he forgot he was! Awesome effort.

Delmar

Likes Dirt

Mate you might be tongue in cheek, but just in case you weren't: you're sadly mistaken if you think Gordo or Matt make anything like a living... they both work full time.

Just makes me more down on myself when I think of my lack of training compared to what they fit in around jobs! (as a matter of fact, I do believe I'll hit the roadie now...)

Anti_Trainer

Likes Dirt
Great day out on the bike, with amazing scenery and huge slabs of sandstone to keep you awake.
The best bunch of CFS guy's and gal's in the country, with a sense of humour that was well appreciated.

I walked 75% of the first climb and had no issues with it being congested, maybe I made an effort to get to the front?

Big thanks to SSDave for the lift down and back, and many amusing stories to fill in the hours.

Thanks to the crew that put on the race and the companines that sponsored it.

And an even bigger thanks to all those people before hand that assured me it was flat and I'd need a bigger gear, being able to smash that 36:19 up all the climbs from the 75km mark onwards was priceless.

Also BIG props to Rod McGee, it was a smack down for the SS crown which shoved us both easily into the top 10 overall for the 100km.

And finally a big thanks to Mark from DWs for making me two amazing egg and bacon sangers after the race.

What a totally different experience to racing in C-Town.

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
found some sunnies

I found a pair of sunnies at the DW 100
If you think they are yours.
PM me with the make and colour and where you think you lost them an i'll send them to you.

crummy?

Likes Dirt
I found a pair of sunnies at the DW 100
If you think they are yours.
PM me with the make and colour and where you think you lost them an i'll send them to you.
There was a heap of items found by the sweepers, hope the owner of the "nissan" key was found, it was such a neat bag you had it in!

Eyes like a hawk, legs not so bad.

Full report at mcrummy.blogspot.com

Blingspeed

Cannon Fodder
DW100 Sprint

Seems to be an increasing quality of field.
Last year 48 riders did sub 5 hour times, 2010 saw 69. Not so much an increase in numbers at the pointy end doing sub 4:30, 12 (2010) vs 9 (2009). The Vets and Masters have really picked up the pace!
When you look at all the other 100km races the DW100 is by far the easiest, e.g Highland Fling only 22% of the 100km finishers (582 in total) completed the race in under 6hrs.
This year at the DW100 48% of the 100km finishers (665 in total) completed the race in under 6hrs.
I think they should make it 120km to bring it on par with the other 100km races (or more hills!)
I guess thats why it is so popular for the 100km virgins.

HillBilly

Likes Bikes
When you look at all the other 100km races the DW100 is by far the easiest, e.g Highland Fling only 22% of the 100km finishers (582 in total) completed the race in under 6hrs.
This year at the DW100 48% of the 100km finishers (665 in total) completed the race in under 6hrs.
I think they should make it 120km to bring it on par with the other 100km races (or more hills!)
I guess thats why it is so popular for the 100km virgins.
I agree that the DW is a faster race but your maths doesn't quite compute. The races aren't the same length (The Fling is 12% longer) so comparing percentage of the field to finish under a given time doesn't really mean much. Maybe comparing average speed or comparisons to the winners' times etc may mean more?

I tend to think there is some substance behind the theory that weekend warriors and punters are actually getting better and faster. It could be due to the proliferation of quality training material or resources such as this website?

Interesting to find out by doing a bit more research. Any takers? Any sports science students out there keen to do a thesis?

Cheers

Hillbilly

SSDave

Likes Dirt
Dirtworks 150km

Just sent an email off to the Max Adventure peoples to see if they will put on a 150km option next year, 100km loop first and then out onto the 50km loop!

Any takers? If so drop them an email and hopefully with enough support they we may get lucky.

info@maxadventure.com.au

mattyj

Cannon Fodder
There was a heap of items found by the sweepers, hope the owner of the "nissan" key was found, it was such a neat bag you had it in!

Eyes like a hawk, legs not so bad.

Full report at mcrummy.blogspot.com
Hey guys,

I can't believe someone found my key.

I realised I lost it on the tarmac between the bridge and Webbs Creek climb. I had to get a lft home then ride the roadie 80ks back out yesterday with the spare key to get the car. Oh well good excuse for a recovery ride.

I emailed Todd (Max Adventure) to see if the key was found. Any idea who has it?

Any pain that I did have seems to be subsiding now.

Also, my own story. First DW was 2009. Did it in 6h31m. This year 5h17m. Pretty stoked with the improvement. Training starts today to break 5h next year.

MJ

Tee Man

Likes Bikes
Just sent an email off to the Max Adventure peoples to see if they will put on a 150km option next year, 100km loop first and then out onto the 50km loop!

Any takers? If so drop them an email and hopefully with enough support they we may get lucky.

info@maxadventure.com.au
Definitely would be keen on this!

But not till 2012. I want a better poke at the 100km now that I've popped my cherry.