The Single Speed Thread

abevern

Likes Dirt
+1

What are Hope hubs like? By the way one criteria is they have to sound good.

Cheers
I've got (and would recommend) the Pro II Trials version for the rear hub. Compared to the regular Pro II, the pawls are offset giving 48 PoE vs the usual 24. I find that you're much more likely to ratchet or stall your pedal stroke on an SS in technical terrain, and the faster engagement is a big bonus.

Also - the trials version comes with the steel carrier and is bolt-up - all good things for an SS build.

The hub is also mega loud, and very reasonably priced.

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Or you could get a dedicated ss hub that takes a screw on freewheel and use a White industries freewheel. They sound great also.

C Dunlop

Likes Dirt
Can anyone recomend some good quality hubs to build into SS 29 wheels.

Maybe something Chris King down.

What are Hope hubs like? By the way one criteria is they have to sound good.

Cheers
Any hub you want. In theory, an SS hub (either a freewheel type or a short cassette body type) is stronger, but unless you're tacoing rims, are a fatty or going for a super light rim, then it probably isn't necessary. In practice they are a little stiffer, which is nice, but not really necessary. They're normally on the heavy side. XTR hubs are really nice, light, cheaper than 'boutique' stuff and very well made. I have a set of XT hubs on a bike. Heavy, cheap, good work-a-day hubs. Roll well, last long time.

King hubs are really nice, last approximately forever and come in lots of pretty colours. They're also not that light, very expensive and require another $200+ of proprietary tools to service, which not that many bike shops have. Spectacular engagement, but some think they are over-sealed and don't roll particularly well.

Hope hubs are popular, cheap and of pretty good quality. Roll pretty well, but not amazingly. Not bad weight, especially for a 6-bolt hub. Rear SS hub is heavy, but the 465g (!) quoted weight includes bolts (=-65g as you don't need a skewer), spacer kit (~15g) and I think a lockring (not sure though, 11g) so is more like 380g. 310g for the regular hub, but many complain of cheese-like alloy cassette body. The cool thing about them is that they're very easy to change between QR, 15 and 20mm fronts, which is good considering a lot of 29er sus forks are going that way, but that rigid forks are pretty much all QR.

Hadley hubs are the shiznit. 72 points of engagement. Not light, but apparantly they roll as if they have perpetual motion devices in the bearings.

DT240s hubs are great too. They have a single speed variant, are very light and roll very well. Not as good engagement, but DT has an aftermarket ratchet mechanism now which increases stock engagement to 36 (?) points of engagement, and drops 10g or so. This is about an extra $50. DT hubs are not cheap, but are virtually indestructable. Centrelock only.

Tune do a single speed hub too. Stupidly light at ~220g for a 6-bolt hub. Lots and lots of pretty colours. Apparantly tune hubs are a bit shit though. Never seen one and you'll have to order it from europe, or baum bikes, who are the distributors in australia, but who charge a *ahem* premium on their already expensive stuff.

FWIW you can now build non-carbon 29er wheels down to ~1300g! (FRM 330g rims, tune hubs, sapim super spokes), not that i'm drooling over a new blingle speed or anything.

If I had infinity dollars, i'd get dt240s, suitable stans rim and maybe bladed spokes. Hopes are cheaper, heavier and not as nice, but lots of people have them, so to many they must be good value. Cheap if you get them online. Probably hard to beat in the mid-range price point. I've not really heard of them breaking. Convertable front is useful if you start rigid (or QR) but want to keep open the option of a sus fork, and want to keep through axle sus forks as an option.

fatarseracing

Likes Bikes
gearing question for the southern exposure race @ Anglsea

Hi all....does anyone have any suggestions for a single speed gear ratio for this event for a 26" wheel? im thinking 1.8 (32 front x 18 rear) 3 hr single speed that is!!!

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Seems a little on the low side (not that I've done the course), but it's all relative to what gearing you're used to and your level of fitness. I'd suggest 32:17.

If someone chimes in hopefully with a Vertical Metres vs Distance per lap, that would help.

DaveMc

Cannon Fodder
Looks good

Just finished her of today, will give her the maiden voyage tomorrow.

Zion 737 Large
Reba Race 80mm with pop loc
Thomson X4 stem 90mm
Thomson Elite seat post
FSA K-force flat h/bars 600mm
R/face Dues cranks 175mm
Candy sl's
Rohloff tensioner
Chris King h/set
Hope Enduro 4 brakes 7" fr 6" rr
Wheels: Gold Hope Pro II's , Stans 355 rims , Dt Swiss spokes and gold nipples
Maxxis Crossmark tyres 2.1
Selle Italia Flite gel saddle
Jet Black grips
Specialized Pro Rib Cage bidon cages

Will eventually cut the steerer tube when i work out the right comfy height for the bars
I have a similar set up and have had the spacer taken out of the fork to make them 100mm and it just gives you a little more bang for your buck and you look like you are pretty low at the front anyway.

adz

Likes Dirt
Hi all....does anyone have any suggestions for a single speed gear ratio for this event for a 26" wheel? im thinking 1.8 (32 front x 18 rear) 3 hr single speed that is!!!
I run 32:18 on my 29er on that course

ran 32:16 on 26inch last year. For three hour sprint i would go with the 16.

cha_cha_

Likes Dirt
If I had infinity dollars, i'd get dt240s, suitable stans rim and maybe bladed spokes. Hopes are cheaper, heavier and not as nice, but lots of people have them, so to many they must be good value. Cheap if you get them online. Probably hard to beat in the mid-range price point. I've not really heard of them breaking. Convertable front is useful if you start rigid (or QR) but want to keep open the option of a sus fork, and want to keep through axle sus forks as an option.

^^ what he said. I've used hopes a few times now in both the SS/trials and regular flavour and would happily do it again. the extra coin on a king/hadley/i-9 isn't justified for me (hopes are "good enough"). 240s would be awesome, but again, it's a bit more than i'm willing to spend.

wrt the hopes, i went from using the ss hub for a year over to the regular hub and i certainly noticed the lesser number of engagement points but got over it pretty quickly. i miss the noise more than i do the engagement.

I use 1/8" chains and wide base cogs so i've not shredded a freehub body, but i mean that's par for course if you're using crappy cogs on just about any freehub

worth considering though, is that like the kings, there is a big pile of proprietary tools required to service them properly and there isn't a great deal of brand support for them in australia so i doubt you'll find many shops with those tools. the tools themselves are "only" $100 or so worth, but any douche with a set of cone spanners can rebuild a set of XTs for you... i've got all the tools lying around at home, along with new bearings and all the shizz, but i've never actually had to do it...

charltons

Likes Bikes
Can you get QR axels for Hope SS hubs or are you limited to bolts. What do people do - carry an allen key around with you? I am thinking of using a slider set up so I am not so worried about them slipping.

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
^^ what he said. I've used hopes a few times now in both the SS/trials and regular flavour and would happily do it again. the extra coin on a king/hadley/i-9 isn't justified for me (hopes are "good enough"). 240s would be awesome, but again, it's a bit more than i'm willing to spend.

wrt the hopes, i went from using the ss hub for a year over to the regular hub and i certainly noticed the lesser number of engagement points but got over it pretty quickly. i miss the noise more than i do the engagement.

I use 1/8" chains and wide base cogs so i've not shredded a freehub body, but i mean that's par for course if you're using crappy cogs on just about any freehub

worth considering though, is that like the kings, there is a big pile of proprietary tools required to service them properly and there isn't a great deal of brand support for them in australia so i doubt you'll find many shops with those tools. the tools themselves are "only" $100 or so worth, but any douche with a set of cone spanners can rebuild a set of XTs for you... i've got all the tools lying around at home, along with new bearings and all the shizz, but i've never actually had to do it...
Actually most douches with a set of cone spanners can't service new XTs correctly, but that's another argument.

Routine servicing on the King hubs requires only a 2.5mm allen key for the SS or HD versions. Full disassembly requires their toolkit, but as the bearings can be serviced, the freehub mechanism serviced and the needle bearing relubed without full disassembly, it's not something I'd be too concerned about. I'd recommend a routine service every 6 months or so, full service maybe every 2-3 years? I almost never pull mine right apart unless changing hubshells and I've owned lots of Kings.

The Hope hubs can be serviced (that is, the bearings replaced) with the same tools as you'd remove/install the bearings from any cartridge hub.

All that said though, the XT hubs are great, SLX hubs even better.

- Joel

zed42

Likes Bikes
Highland Fling Gearing

Just wondering if anyone had any recommendations for gearing for the Highland Fling (on a 29er)?
Some context: I've been running 34-19 for riding around Stromlo and can usually ride 100km in about 8 hours on a geared bike (this will be my first 100km ss).

MrCove

South Shore Distribution
retro SS...........SNAFUERT content

finally got around to building up my old SS
probably had the frame for about 10 years, bought it back from the UK a few months back

built up from bits i had sitting around apart from the BB converter

'96/'97 Kona A'Ha 'Stars and Bars' cruiser
P2 forks
Crossmax wheels, circa '97ish?, rim brake only
XT cranks with BMX-MTB shell converter
28t - 14t gearing with bashring
Dean post, Selle Italia seat
unbranded 50mm stem
Diabolus 710 bars
Avid Mag Speed Dail V brake (rear only)

the frame is designed with a 110mm (bmx) rear spacing.
I've spread it out gradually over the past couple of months and pinched in the drop outs so i can fit the 135mm rear wheel

just taken it for a road test and discovered 2 things
1, it rides great!
2, if you type 'roadtest' on your phone using predictive text it comes up with 'Snafuert'
which i think you'll agree is a great word in it's own right!