The Single Speed Thread

C Dunlop

Likes Dirt
blingle speed - crosspost from 29er subforum

It is rawesome. Stupidly light, and has another 600-700g to lose.

EBB is a PITA to setup, but i'm sure figure out how to tighten the bolt without it rotating out of position.

Fork is temporary until my colour matched niner crabon fork arrives, might swap the brakes to something more nicer, but juicy 3's seem to stop my skinny arse just fine.

If i'd had a single speed this nice all along, I would have saved a lot of time and money messing around with gears and squish.

Super light, very stiff but the second most comfy bike I have ridden.

Rear will be changed to QR, will get some silly light skewers and maybe some different cranks. XTs are gonna go on my touring bike, if I don't get replacement XTs i'll think about Rotors 3Ds (without the silly rings), Tunes or xtrs (anyone need some xtr chainrings?)

Matt Mead

Likes Bikes
SS kit arrived today..!! Cant wait to fit it

anyone done woodford-> glenbrook on SS
would 32x16 be ok
I did it on an hour with 32x16 it was spin crazy at the end.

This year i tryed 36x15 and did it 2 mins faster with less fitness. I couldnt clear all the climbs but lol.

Ill do it 1x10 in 2012 haha

notime

Likes Dirt
I did it on an hour with 32x16 it was spin crazy at the end.

This year i tryed 36x15 and did it 2 mins faster with less fitness. I couldnt clear all the climbs but lol.

Ill do it 1x10 in 2012 haha
You spin like crazy but still carry a fair bit of speed regardless going down so it's not that bad unless you are trying to keep up with a big ring geary. I run 32/20 on a 29er but I always come back up again, it's a good pace on the return trip and I doubt I could do it in a lower gear without hiking some hills.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Double Speed

Has anyone on here been able to mount say an 18 and a 20 sprocket on rear of their single speed.

Saw a SS with this set up at Dirtworks 100k woodend.

My SS uses an EBB, thinking if I could mount a 18 & 20 and have enough range of chain adjustment, perfect, 18 = commute, 20 = hill training.

krisko

Likes Dirt
I run 33x18 for urban rides with some hills and switch to a 33x20 for Stromlo.
I have to remove a link going from 20 to 18 and adjust the EBB.

notime

Likes Dirt
Has anyone on here been able to mount say an 18 and a 20 sprocket on rear of their single speed.

Saw a SS with this set up at Dirtworks 100k woodend.

My SS uses an EBB, thinking if I could mount a 18 & 20 and have enough range of chain adjustment, perfect, 18 = commute, 20 = hill training.
I have thought about the White Industries Dos Eno kit for rides like the oaks, but that's obviously not an option for your setup.

Greg882

Likes Bikes
what chains do you run ??
Ive been running a 7speed shimano only to have it break two rides in a row

looking at gettn a new `tougher` chain this arvo

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
what chains do you run ??
Ive been running a 7speed shimano only to have it break two rides in a row

looking at gettn a new `tougher` chain this arvo
I have had excellent results with KMC Koolchains and until my user error over the weekend, I had been happy with Izumi chain I had been running.

Greg882

Likes Bikes
thanks for that will see what i can get my hands on this arvo
the KMC looks the goods

cant believe my chicken legs have been breaking chains?? something to do with mashing up glenrock 32x16

notime

Likes Dirt
I have had excellent results with KMC Koolchains and until my user error over the weekend, I had been happy with Izumi chain I had been running.
I ran my Izumi till it streched to much but it always had stiff links in it so won't try another. Currently have a cheap YBN MK918 half link chain and it's been equally as tuff minus the stiff links. Will probably run this chain again they are less than $20, also I pushed heaps of pins in and out on this chain playing with chain length and stupidly pushing out the wrong links and it's never failed, it's at end of life now.