iRide MTB Park Apollo Bay

dunndog

Eats Squid
Mike , have you give any thought to family/group packages for the whole weekend ? thinking aloud , its a fair hike from SE melb , if you got together with local business and organized a discounted accom/meals/shuttle it would be something that would appeal to our family of 5 ( and other families? ) We'd prefer to make a weekend of it with a nice meal sat night ( maybe budget & premium packages ) We holidayed at Lorne in Jan. for two weeks and visited Apollo Bay and to be honest , things arent the cheapest down there! with a family package you only have to convince the wallet holder;) ( or a committed group discount on here for X amount riders ) Im keen to hear thoughts on this from forum readers also
my thoughts would be: Mike runs a tour operation, part of which is the weekend shuttle thing. I don't think it would be worth his time trying to promote making an all inclusive entire weekend out if it for full family groups.. I'd say he, and you, would be better off with him focusing on providing excellent riding, and groups/families can organize their own accommodation/meals/itinerary to their own tastes. If Apollo Bay itself is a bit exxy try one of the other locations between there and anglesea, you'll be within an hour drive and likely much closer. You'll definitely find some budget accom if you look hard enough and plan and book in advance.

anth69

Likes Dirt
of course it would be worth his while , If he runs tours there's probably scope to earn a profit out of the accom AND provide a cheaper rate... He's the common denominator for all the potential customers so its there if he wants it... im sitting here knowing the weekend's gunna cost me $500 - $600 and I'd love to get the kayak down there.... he hasnt got numbers to even run the shuttle ?? .. its common knowledge amongst kayakers that there's 'local's' and 'visitor's' $ rates along the surf coast... if they want the business????

dunndog

Eats Squid
Maybe anth, but i'm thinking this way.. If Iride is not getting enough numbers to run shuttles on both days of the weekend, and sometimes even 1 day, then what happens when they've invested more time and money into adding to the services offered and they don't get the numbers? Just a bigger headache? Your idea is good but I think the reality of it is, to expand in this way would be a major direction change and i don't think that's where they want to go with it..
saying that, this is the first year that i've ever heard of there not being the numbers so maybe that can be put down to the soaking summer we've had keeping it closed down for the peak operating period, not sure However, also due to this period being missed they have been offering Sat and Sun ride days (usually is only Sundays) so maybe this is why the numbers have been down? 3 sundays a month attracts better crowds on those days, but full weekends every weekend is too much I don't know just throwing that out there.. But any other time numbers have been good, so maybe there'd be scope to investigate this IF that's where they wanna go? Just from knowing many of the crew that ride there, including myself, a full weekend would be too much generally with other commitments, it's fine to make a day of it but a 2 day overnighter for most is a completely different story.They'd be relying on what i would think would be a fairly small number of groups interested in this, spread over a fair amount of time(Say nov-April?)and the realistic chances of making this kind of operation viable would seem pretty small..

anth69

Likes Dirt
oh well .. I put it out there ! is there anywhere near Maldon for a quick kayak paddle to go with the ride ? lol

dunndog

Eats Squid
Oh man, didn't mean to quash your vision!! Haha.. hows about for this weekend in particular a cosy cabin at a caravan park somewhere nearby?? Then a refreshing kayak across the road after burning up Mike's tracks with your boys..
No expert on what's nearby Maldon, but with all the rain we've had i'd think there would be a body of water close by somewhere..

iRideApollobay

Likes Dirt
You are both right!

Apollo bay is a very expensive place for anything - food, fuel, accomodation, rates etc...
It used to be easy to get the numbers to run 2 bike tours a day during Summer holidays.
Now people just ring me to hire bikes to ride Forrest.
I dont hire bikes because you really need to be based in town to make it work
As it is the Surf and Kayak crew do it because they have a shop in Apollo bay
So my market has changed
The Shuttle days are really for the love of it because the outgoings exceed the takings.
The School tours help but what keeps me going is having five jobs! (Bike and Buggy tours, Dj, Personal trainer and working at the Cottages/Farm) Basically one supports the other.
The way things are at the moment after such a wet start to the season I will have to return the leased Cruiser back to Melb next week.
The good news is The Ford is working again after braking down last Sat.
As far as packages go most have to make as much as they can during the busy times to be able to survive the lulls.
Anyway all I can suggest is give Charlie a call at Skenes Creek Caravan Park, go to Aldi like I do and grab some fuel from Apco in Geelong on the way.
P.s. Thanks so much to those who come down and support this thing I've created!
I love it and enjoy sharing it
Cheers, Mike

iRideApollobay

Likes Dirt
iRide Shuttle days (Long weekend 13th & 14th March)

iRide Shuttle days - Long weekend
*12th March - Track/berm building day, BBQ and Night ride (weather permitting)
*13th March - Shuttle day
*14th March -Shuttle day
Call or text 0419007586 for bookings or more info.
$50 per Shuttle day or $90 for both
(People who track build on Sat. ride for free on Sun.)
*Downhill bike hire available $55 (Inc. Full face helmet)
Cheers, Mike
iridemtb@live.com

CallumCrafter

Likes Bikes
track Building,

Hey Mike,

How many numbers have u got helping on the saturday for the track building.If you need a hand, all i need is a lift and im yours.

Cheers
Callum.

iRideApollobay

Likes Dirt
Hey Callum,
Funny enough you are the first!
But thanks heaps for your offer
I think the maintenance day will have to wait and instead I will check all the tracks after the hideous wind we had the other day.
Sunday and Monday's Shuttle days are filling fast
Cheers, Mike

crazy-man

Likes Dirt
i'll be heading out tomorrow (sun 13th). anyone else heading out too, to split fuel costs would be an advantage. i live in melton, cheers.

Last edited:

CallumCrafter

Likes Bikes
ALRIGHT :) I am in need of a lift to the ride day on monday.. Im keen. Im 16 and i can pay for fuel if you need :) im in geelong? any takers.. <3 lol

crazy-man

Likes Dirt
sunday was awesome, even though my ribs still hurt. thanks for a great day fellas. if you've never been out there do yourself a favour and head out for a shuttle day.

primal108

Likes Bikes
Awesome yiiieeewwww!!!

thnaks heaps to mike and his sister for their tireless efforts to get us up the hill all day sun and mon... mikes sis endured the overwhelming stench of DH armour all day with minimal complaints... now you can guess why she was driving so fast up the hill !!

tracks are in great condition... bottle rocket has had heaps of work done and has some awesome lines developing. rock gardens galore!!!

if you haven't ridden it, or haven't for some time, get down there before the winter sets in... you def wont be disappointed

iRideApollobay

Likes Dirt
iRide Shuttle Day - Sun. 20th March

*Thanks to all who made it down for the long weekend
Hopefully if we can keep the numbers up I can hang onto the Landcruiser
SUNDAY 20th March
Text 0419007586 to book in
Meet opposite Shell service station
10am - 5pm $50
Downhill bike hire available (Inc. Full face helmet) $55
Cheers, Mike

hargs

Likes Bikes
Had an awesome time on the weekend, tracks are great. Can't wait for the wall ride to go in on Thump.

CallumCrafter

Likes Bikes
Lifts?

HELLO ALL YOU KINDS LADIES AND GENTS,

me and my friend luke, Would like to know, anyone coming through geelong for this sundays ride day, We would very much appreciate it, we are willing to chip in for fuel.

CALLUM N LUKE

iRideApollobay

Likes Dirt
Upcoming iRide Shuttle dates

*Thanks to all who made it down for the long weekend
Hopefully if we can keep the numbers up I can hang onto the Landcruiser
SUNDAY 20th March
Text 0419007586 to book in
Meet opposite Shell service station
10am - 5pm $50
Downhill bike hire available (Inc. Full face helmet) $55
Cheers, Mike