The stupid questions thread.

fairy1

Banned
A) good, I can throw it at my halal friends.

B) This is a serious question in quantum physics. I appreciate sarcasm, just not in this frame of reference.

t(v)= t(0)/√ 1-(v^2/c^2)

Time is dilating.
My patience is running thin ;)
A) Cool

B) This is for Matty or someone else smart.

Why not start an intelligent questions thread?

fairy1

Banned
"How many bongs do you need to hit before you start asking these kinds of questions?"
B) This is a serious question in quantum physics. I appreciate sarcasm, just not in this frame of reference.

t(v)= t(0)/√ 1-(v^2/c^2)

0psi

Eats Squid
2) Are we limiting the amount of dimensions we (humans) can "see" due to our dependency on light?
I thought there were only 3 dimensions? Seeing as an object can only move through space on 3 axis, like wise you can plot any point in space using the co-ordinates of 3 axis :confused:

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
2) Are we limiting the amount of dimensions we (humans) can "see" due to our dependency on light?
Interesting thought. We can only 'see' the visual spectra of light in the electromagnetic spectrum. But then on the other hand, we can 'see' the other wavelengths of light, such as radio, infrared, x-ray, etc, using different instruments. So no wavelength of light is undetectable to us, so effectively we can see all of the electromagnetic spectrum (as far as I can fathom.)

Arete

Likes Dirt
Look at how much water the Amazons rivers flow, that isn't a massive area.
If you have dry land the relative humidity above it is generally pretty low. If you have wet ground, lots of vegetation(which is mainly water) and high humidity surely that would be a huge amount of water that would be over/on land instead of in the ocean.

Also we are emptying our underground water sources much quicker than they are being replenished(in OZ anyways).

Liquid fresh water makes up a tiny fraction of the water on earth. Most of the fresh water on earth is ice. Ergo, melting ice will have more of an effect on the sea level than a change in riverine inputs :)

Also, as an aside, sea levels fluctuate significantly over geological time scales. The issue with HICC is that the changes are occurring far shorter time frames than previous changes and modern human civilization has developed so fast that sea levels and climate has effectively been static during that time frame and what we currently have is not adaptive in the face of these changes :)

Gluey_trails

Likes Dirt
What is the name for the studs in couches which are pressed in. They're not press studs, but I thought the name was most apt for the object.

fairy1

Banned
[iquid fresh water makes up a tiny fraction of the water on earth. Most of the fresh water on earth is ice. Ergo, melting ice will have more of an effect on the sea level than a change in riverine inputs :)

Also, as an aside, sea levels fluctuate significantly over geological time scales. The issue with HICC is that the changes are occurring far shorter time frames than previous changes and modern human civilization has developed so fast that sea levels and climate has effectively been static during that time frame and what we currently have is not adaptive in the face of these changes :)
OK so the Simpson desert could hold 52950L in the air at 100% humidity(30deg C) if we only run the figure as 52950m cubed, I imagine the amount of moisture the air can hold would reduce drastically as it goes higher as the air gets both thinner and cooler.

So the Simpson dsert could have hundreds of thousands of litres just suspended in the air it were say a rainforest instead of desert and more water would be on the ground and in vegetation. However hundreds of thousans of litres is sweet FA compare to the ocean levels so I have to hand it to Arete, I am wrong, damn!

Toff

Likes Dirt
I thought there were only 3 dimensions? Seeing as an object can only move through space on 3 axis, like wise you can plot any point in space using the co-ordinates of 3 axis :confused:
I thought time was the 4th dimension?

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
Maybe it's a pure evolutionary thing.

In simplistic terms we evolved to swing through trees and hunt for food. To do that successfully you need 3d vision (or smell or hearing or heat sensing...) and timing.

Being able to sense other dimensions only adds unnecessary complication, draining energy needlessly.

Na a bunch of theories need more dimensions to hold true (String theory 6, 10 or 21(?): M theory 11(?) )

How they usually explain that we only sense 3 + time it is at the big bang 3d spacetime expanded while other dimensions curled in on themselves.

Think of the x axis as a tightrope. A tightrope walker can only move forward or backwards along the rope making it seem like a single dimension. But something small, like an ant could walk forward and backward along the rope or traverse up and down or around the rope too so for it the rope is 3 dimensional

Last edited:

Jay_Patriot

Likes Bikes
Maybe it's a pure evolutionary thing.

In simplistic terms we evolved to swing through trees and hunt for food. To do that successfully you need 3d vision (or smell or hearing or heat sensing...) and timing.

Being able to sense other dimensions only adds unnecessary complication, draining energy needlessly.

Na a bunch of theories need more dimensions to hold true (String theory 6, 10 or 21(?): M theory 11(?) )

How they usually explain that we only sense 3 + time it is at the big bang 3d spacetime expanded while other dimensions curled in on themselves.

Think of the x axis as a tightrope. A tightrope walker can only move forward or backwards along the rope making it seem like a single dimension. But something small, like an ant could walk forward and backward along the rope or traverse up and down or around the rope too so for it the rope is 3 dimensional
Thankyou.
Brilliant reply.

enjoi

Likes Bikes
Not necessarily.
If a tree falls in the woods, but nothing is there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Perceptions - such as colours, smells, sounds and tastes - are constructions formed in the brain and do not exist outside of it.
The fall certainly produces pressure waves in the air, but if sound is defined as a perception, then there is no sound.

0psi

Eats Squid
Not necessarily.
If a tree falls in the woods, but nothing is there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Perceptions - such as colours, smells, sounds and tastes - are constructions formed in the brain and do not exist outside of it.
The fall certainly produces pressure waves in the air, but if sound is defined as a perception, then there is no sound.
What happens when smart people get stoned! :p